Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 09:11 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times

Advertisements

I saw an ad in today's paper for new homes in Rough Hollow near Lake Travis. I know it's different strokes for different folks but I just don't get buying a 5000 sf faux mediterranean style house out in the boonies by a lake that is drying up. I thought McMansions went out sometime before the last recession but it appears that builders are still marketing them. Just wondering what the appeal of living that way is and who the market is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 10:19 AM

737 posts, read 1,582,885 times
It's definitely not in the boonies. It's a very nice neighborhood. They have amenities such as a club to eat at, marina, pools, etc. HOA fees are high as are the house prices. Market is those who can afford it.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:40 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Well, it's not a like-priced 1,000 sq.ft. '40s crackerbox in central Austin. So it's got that going for it.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:30 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
by a lake that is drying up
The lake is actually _up_ since last summer. And hopefully we'll get some more refilling with El Nino conditions. Basically, we wouldn't even have this as an issue if they would have stopped the rice releases _after_ we actually entered the drought.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:26 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I saw an ad in today's paper for new homes in Rough Hollow near Lake Travis. I know it's different strokes for different folks but I just don't get buying a 5000 sf faux mediterranean style house out in the boonies by a lake that is drying up. I thought McMansions went out sometime before the last recession but it appears that builders are still marketing them. Just wondering what the appeal of living that way is and who the market is?
That's like asking what is the appeal of suburbs, SUVs, or high-horsepower muscle cars, etc...

People just like different things. Some will prioritize a large, new, fancy house over close-in location. Why? Because they can. Utility costs, water costs, gas costs, etc going up may have put some pressure on macmansion style developments, like they might have put pressure on SUV sales... but in the end, costs are going up for everyone. People make do and pay their money for what they want. If they weren't selling, they wouldn't be building them.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:34 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
That's like asking what is the appeal of suburbs, SUVs, or high-horsepower muscle cars, etc...

People just like different things. Some will prioritize a large, new, fancy house over close-in location. Why? Because they can. Utility costs, water costs, gas costs, etc going up may have put some pressure on macmansion style developments, like they might have put pressure on SUV sales... but in the end, costs are going up for everyone. People make do and pay their money for what they want. If they weren't selling, they wouldn't be building them.
Yup, couldn't say it better.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:18 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
The lake is actually _up_ since last summer. And hopefully we'll get some more refilling with El Nino conditions. Basically, we wouldn't even have this as an issue if they would have stopped the rice releases _after_ we actually entered the drought.
We have been out on the lake each weekend for 4 or 5 weeks in a row nice, it is great to have slightly cooler temps and the water is not warming up as fast as last year, as well. We will actually miss the 'Point Venture Beach' when the water goes back up .

And yes, it is up marginally from last year; however, for all intents and purposes, it is the same as last year. On the other hand, it is not falling as fast (on average) due to the intermittent rain and lower temps.
Attached Thumbnails
Rough Hollow - please explain the appeal-pvbeach.jpg  

Old 07-20-2014, 03:59 PM

152 posts, read 196,464 times
The lake will come back as it always does. I live a block off the lake about 10 minutes from rough hollow in the coves. We love being away from the madness but close enough to visit it. Ate at their restaurant last weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed it. We belong to the Reserve on Lake Travis. It's alot like rough hollows amenities. I can't imagine paying more to live in a smaller house with less land. My guess is this thread is really about the fact that the op can't afford to live there vs what rough hollow is really like.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:24 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
It is entirely subjective. Rough Hollow would not be a stretch for our family but HOA/master planned communities with resort amenities just don't appeal to us. But clearly there is a market for it.

I swear Austin-Steve once addressed the rise of communities with resort style amenities on his blog but I've search and can't find it. I remember it as a smart read.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:03 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
Quote:
My guess is this thread is really about the fact that the op can't afford to live there
Nope. I could afford it - as I said - different strokes. Buying toilet paper for four bathrooms makes me queasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin