Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:34 AM

110 posts, read 241,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I remember when zero lot lines was a topic in Austin. The 80's sounds about right. From what I remember of that, I'm surprised there is only the one area that you can think of, and I'm sure you know Austin well. I'd have thought there were more.
Some parts of Rattan Creek have zero lot line properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 07:07 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,103 times
It wasn't meant to be hostile. I guess I'm just getting a little bit tired of everyone moving to Austin, then figuring out that it's not exactly what they wanted (newsflash: no place is perfect) and not willing to do anything about it.

When I suggested Option #3 (become part of the solution), I wasn't suggesting you simply throw out an option you were hoping for, but rather, do the research (determine if zero lot lines are legally permissable) and then then buy some land, find a developer, and build the community that your heart so desires. Problem solved.

BTW, zero lot lines are quite prevalent in N. VA where I'm from. I personally hated them, but I'm sure they served a very worthwhile purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
hts, why such a hostile response?

My post was your option 3.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwynne2000 View Post
Some parts of Rattan Creek have zero lot line properties.
Was Rattan Creek within the city limits at the time of construction or was/is it part of the North Austin MUD? Perhaps those folks had some good ideas and just had to sneak outside the city to build.

I drive through there frequently; but can't think of the properties you mention. Could you indicate an area or street, please? We actually looked around there when we decided to sell the large house and move to something smaller. I like that area quite a bit.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:05 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Park West at Circle C isn't zero lot lines, but it is garden homes on fairly small lots.

The reason there isn't much of that kind of development here, is that there has been limited demand. Land is cheap here, and the small lots have been more about ease of maintenance than about cost or density.

Now, we are concerned about density - mostly inside Austin proper. Problem is, that kind of development requires a clean sheet. You can't plop a zero lot line home into established neighborhoods. And there just is very little raw developable land in the areas where density needs to grow.

For all these reasons - demand, available land, and the low cost of land where it is developable - I just don't see this ever happening to any extent.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:46 AM

110 posts, read 241,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Was Rattan Creek within the city limits at the time of construction or was/is it part of the North Austin MUD? Perhaps those folks had some good ideas and just had to sneak outside the city to build.
Most of it is still just outside of the city limits, under North Austin MUD #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I drive through there frequently; but can't think of the properties you mention. Could you indicate an area or street, please? We actually looked around there when we decided to sell the large house and move to something smaller. I like that area quite a bit.
There aren't a lot, but the area around Modena Trail, Margit Drive, and Grovedale Drive I know has some. I have a few friends that live over there. To be perfectly honest, I'm not really a fan of the zero lot line properties in this neighborhood. It does have the effect of moving the homes a little bit closer together, but not in any real meaningful or aesthetically desirable way. When you sit in the backyard of one of these properties, you still have a big yard, but one length of it is just the side of your neighbor's house.

PM me if you ever have any questions about the neighborhood. I'm on the neighborhood association board and have gotten pretty involved in the last few years. We love it here.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,801 times
At least some of the homes in Gardens of Milwood at Parmer/Melrose Trail are zero lot lines. My husband's previous house was.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:05 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,764 times
Rowhouses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin