Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:48 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
All BS.
No, it's pretty well documented in this, the 2nd fattest country in the world (Mexico is #1). Another example:

Even Controlling For Poverty, Urban Places Are Thinner Than Suburbs | Planetizen: The Urban Planning, Design, and Development Network

If you don't like the scholarly angle I suggest you take a trip to the Whole Foods in downtown Austin where 40-inch waists are as rare as cheap produce.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:00 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Sorry, but doctors and scientists disagree with you.

Relationship Between Urban Sprawl and Physical Activity, Obesity, and Morbidity
Quote:
Because this study is ecologic and cross-sectional in nature, it is premature to imply that sprawl causes obesity, hypertension, or any other health condition. Our study simply indicates that sprawl is associated with certain outcomes
Pretty weak beer to be promoting as a "fact". Even the researchers don't have your level of certainty.

And since you put so much faith in "doctors and scientists":

Quote:
We study the relationship between urban sprawl and obesity. Using data that tracks individuals over time, we find no evidence that urban sprawl causes obesity. We show that previous findings of a positive relationship most likely reflect a failure to properly control for the fact the individuals who are more likely to be obese choose to live in more sprawling neighbourhoods. Our results indicate that current interest in changing the built environment to counter the rise in obesity is misguided.

Last edited by scm53; 07-30-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
If you don't like the scholarly angle I suggest you take a trip to the Whole Foods in downtown Austin where 40-inch waists are as rare as cheap produce.
I suggest you take a trip to the HEB at Oltorf and Congress, and compare it to the HEBs in Bee Cave or Westlake.

You want to cherry pick? Two can play that game.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 PM

615 posts, read 780,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Pretty weak beer to be promoting as a "fact". Even the researchers don't have your level of certainty.
You really went through the effort to cherry-pick 10 words out of 5 medical studies. You really must be bored.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,814 times
Quote:
Like most things in the human behavior realm, it's "correlation" not "causation," as there are too many other independent variables that also have an effect. Seems like in the U.S. we have a hard time acknowledging our obesity; that it is a problem; and what to do about it.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
You really went through the effort to cherry-pick 10 words out of 5 medical studies. You really must be bored.
No. Unlike you, I actually read one. That statement, which completely debunked your entire hypothesis, was in the only one I read.

You should try reading the things you Google, instead of merely tongue bathing the title. Will prevent being embarrassed like this in the future.

OBTW - your "medical studies"? The one I read didn't have a single clinician among the authors.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
No. Unlike you, I actually read one. That statement, which completely debunked your entire hypothesis, was in the only one I read.

You should try reading the things you Google, instead of merely tongue bathing the title. Will prevent being embarrassed like this in the future.

OBTW - your "medical studies"? The one I read didn't have a single doctor in the bunch.
Says the person quoting a study written by a team of economists. And if you actually read the study you are referring to (not just the intro that you quoted), you would know that they do indeed correlate obesity to sprawl, however they disagree with the causation. It's actually a pretty good read. I recommend it.

And for the record, all the studies I linked to were authored by a PhD, DSc, or MD.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:47 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,104 times

If obesity was being caused by sprawl in any significant way, why is it highest in areas of the country that have had little growth--and little sprawl--like Louisiana and Mississippi? And why is the sprawliest state in the country one with the lowest rate?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:24 PM

48 posts, read 70,923 times
Correlation ≠ causation

Just because a higher percentage of obese people live in the suburbs in certain areas, doesn't necessarily mean living in the suburbs causes you to become obese. That seems a little absurd.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gestbsjgd View Post
Just because a higher percentage of obese people live in the suburbs in certain areas, doesn't necessarily mean living in the suburbs causes you to become obese. That seems a little absurd.
Riiight... It has nothing to do with suburban culture of driving everywhere and getting no incidental exercise. That would be absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin