Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:08 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,898,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthesun View Post
pinda - I'm holding you to that meeting! Whenever you get to Texas we'll get a group goin'!

twange - "My first winter here since relocating from Cleveland, Ohio - there are many, many shades of gray..."

You mean the Austin winter was gray?
No, no...that was a reference to the often grim weather that the Great Lakes region produces. The first settlers who established themselves in the area that is now C-town, spoke of a "doleful cloud over the prosperity of Cleveland"...how poetic

For the most part, Austin's winter has been like great fall weather back in Cleveland. Awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 07:28 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Thanks for the trip down memory lane

My wife and I actually pointed at the TV and laughed the other day when we saw a news clip of a big mid-western snow storm...Of course our friends and family will be laughing at us when we're sweating profusely for three months straight
LOL Twange, glad I could give you that walk down memory lane. I will take the 3 months of sweating profusely over the 4 months of harsh, bitter cold weather, shoveling snow and trying to remove the frozen ice from my windshield!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
LOL Twange, glad I could give you that walk down memory lane. I will take the 3 months of sweating profusely over the 4 months of harsh, bitter cold weather, shoveling snow and trying to remove the frozen ice from my windshield!
I took our car to get (a bunch) some work done and after getting it up on the lift and looking at the underside, the mechanic came out and asked me "where the hell you come from?"...

Rust.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 04-01-2008, 09:03 AM

325 posts, read 1,020,316 times
Default How did everyone do this winter who used to suffer from SAD

Now that winter is over (for some), I was just wondering how people who moved to Austin area who used to suffer from SAD did this winter? Do you feel you had enough sunshine? Do you have some days when it is cloudy that you don't feel so well or is SAD just a bad memory from your past Northern life. I hope so. My husband finally got a job which he could easily transfer to live in the south. Now it is just a matter if he is willing to move. I love Austin Area and want to move there, but I am willing to go anywhere that I will feel better in the fall, winter and early spring.

Hope everybody is feeling great!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:43 PM

347 posts, read 1,567,290 times
I had to drag my husband down here. He's not terribly fond of change. He likes it here, but I love it. And you know what they say, "happy wife, happy life"!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 8,796 times
I was raised in South Texas and lived in Milwaukee from 2001 - 2006. Every December through February I felt like I was trapped in my house and by the end of February I was ready to leave my husband. My doctor told me that I either needed to start using a tanning bed regulary (not kidding, he really told me that the UV rays would help with the Vitamin D my body was producing), get on anti depressants, or move back to Texas. Guess what? I moved to Austin and am feeling 1000% better. And my marriage survived...

Old 04-03-2008, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 9,597 times
Default Wow-- Did I Write This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
Thanks for the replys. I have used the light box and it only helps a bit. Mexico is where I felt the best because yes my SAD is extreme, but I am not willing to live and buy a home in Mexico. Too scary to buy out of the country. We visited Ajijic. Great weather. I would be willing to put up with a bit of SAD as long as it wasn't for months at a time like it is here in Wisconsin. I hate to leave family but I feel like I'm not much good to anyone for 7 to 8 months a year. I felt like I met family when visiting Georgetown, but that may be too far of a drive if my husband gets a job at the airport.

What is a nice friendly pretty town on the outskirts of Austin within 30 minute drive to the airport. I read on these forums about Bastrop but it seems like people don't care for East of I 35. Anymore suggestions. No kids living at home. Pretty area and friendly people are the most important thing to me and not too far for work for my husband.

I keep having the tugging at my heart to move down there. Now I pray my husband will be willing to. He did not have a chance to see how nice it is down there.
I want to thank you for your posting. I too live in Wisconsin, and find myself getting more and more miserable with every year. I spend a majority of the year in despair, and my husband has suggested that I have SAD because it is so extreme.

I have been begging my husband to move to the Big Bend Country in Texas, specifically Alpine. He is reluctant for numerous reasons.

I fear my future existence if this does not happen soon. Even in early April, I am barely getting by.

No body understands or fully cares. If we move, my husband, boys, employers and family will be unhappy. Yet I am more miserable than people can imagine here.

Whatever the case, thank you for your posting, and for letting me know that there are other people out there-- even here in Wisconsin-- that are in the same boat.

--JLLopez1006

Old 04-03-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Todryk View Post
I was raised in South Texas and lived in Milwaukee from 2001 - 2006. Every December through February I felt like I was trapped in my house and by the end of February I was ready to leave my husband. My doctor told me that I either needed to start using a tanning bed regulary (not kidding, he really told me that the UV rays would help with the Vitamin D my body was producing), get on anti depressants, or move back to Texas. Guess what? I moved to Austin and am feeling 1000% better. And my marriage survived...
Jessica, thanks for your posting. I am totally in that place with marital problems and all due to this issue. I want badly to move to West Texas (Big Bend Country) and my depression and obsession are taking over my life. It has gotten worse each year. It is all I think about, and my husband and I are fighting because of it. He is reluctant to make the move.

Every day is a struggle, even in early April here, and I question my ability to go on if I have to stay here much longer. My husband actually suggested that I have SAD, and I am wondering if it is true. Otherwise I must just be crazy with no other logical explanation.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

--JLLopez1006

Old 04-03-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwest View Post
I had to drag my husband down here. He's not terribly fond of change. He likes it here, but I love it. And you know what they say, "happy wife, happy life"!!!
Way to encourage me to go for what I want. This is my struggle. I just hope we can survive in the process.

--JLLopez1006

Old 04-03-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLLopez1006 View Post
Way to encourage me to go for what I want. This is my struggle. I just hope we can survive in the process.

--JLLopez1006
You should really go see a physician about your condition. Don't put it off, it can be serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin