Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:29 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times

Advertisements

Austin is mentioned, of course, but the focus of the piece is Oklahoma City. The last paragraph is priceless!

"Of course, some of the fastest-growing cities, like Austin, may become victims of their own success as new people crowd in. Bill Curtis, an affluent petroleum geologist, has lived there since 1976, when it was known for little more than legislative wheeling and dealing and college football. On a recent day, he was unhappily contemplating traffic from his high-rise apartment. “They’ve screwed this town up so royally, it’s unbelievable,” he said.But Mr. Curtis has a solution. He’s moving to Oklahoma City."

http://nyti.ms/1opGxFH

When we were last in OKC, the kids all mentioned that it felt like Austin.

Last edited by centralaustinite; 08-04-2014 at 08:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 08:53 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,504 times
I's definitely consider cashing out and moving home to Kansas City if the right situation presented itself.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:06 AM

404 posts, read 712,108 times
great article. I vaguely remember Warren Buffett saying that the middle of the country would see a great population explosion, fueled by affordability. (not so much fleeing from broken infrastructure tho)

I think that I heard the term "opportunity belt" thrown out there... describing cities in the center of the country.

Austin is obviously showing what it will be like in in the next decade, and I'm sure the downtown will cater to an upper-middle class demographic. The rest of the surrounding area is looking to be maturing in development, and from there it will spread further.

Maybe if we had more business complexes in cities like Leander it would localize some of this expansion

Old 08-05-2014, 06:34 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Maybe, just as a lot of Okies moved west during the Dust Bowl and inhabited places like Bakersfield CA (and gave us Buck Owens and the "Bakersfield sound"), lots of us Austinites can migrate to OKC fleeing the "Cost Bowl".

It has friendly people, low property taxes (though there is an income tax, and vehicle and other annual taxes), adequate entertainment and recreation, and pragmatic government. I'm not sure I'd want to be exposed to tornado season and the cold snaps that come through though.

But I have to admit, as my wife and I approach retirement age, I said to her before our most recent move back to SW Austin, "you know, if we moved someplace cheaper, like OKC, we could retire right now".

She's not ready to leave Austin. Me neither. But I'm getting ready to get ready, and I'll probably more readier after my property tax visit to TCAD later this month. We're waiting I guess to see where the kids end up after college though, before doing anything drastic.

All my Dad's side of the family is from OK, 9 brothers and sisters, so I have a lot of relatives there and they are all truly the nicest people and don't seem caught up in any sort of rat race.

Steve

Old 08-05-2014, 06:51 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
There are some really nice, inexpensive places in Arkansas, as well, that we might consider some day in the future....

Old 08-05-2014, 06:59 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,052 times
I've been hearing a lot about Arkansas. Someplace I'd never considered, but the talk is piquing my interest, one of several places lately.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:27 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,741 times
I saw that article too and thought the comment in the last paragraph was spot on. We will be leaving too and headed north.
I am counting the days to get out of this congested city....

Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
There are some really nice, inexpensive places in Arkansas, as well, that we might consider some day in the future....
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I've been hearing a lot about Arkansas. Someplace I'd never considered, but the talk is piquing my interest, one of several places lately.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 08-05-2014, 10:21 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,764 times
So let me get this straight everyone complains about outsiders coming here and ruining the place, traffic, sprawl, affluenza, COL, etc...so the obvious response is to pull up stakes and become the very outsiders that you despise?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:25 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Maybe, just as a lot of Okies moved west during the Dust Bowl and inhabited places like Bakersfield CA (and gave us Buck Owens and the "Bakersfield sound"), lots of us Austinites can migrate to OKC fleeing the "Cost Bowl".

It has friendly people, low property taxes (though there is an income tax, and vehicle and other annual taxes), adequate entertainment and recreation, and pragmatic government. I'm not sure I'd want to be exposed to tornado season and the cold snaps that come through though.

Steve
If I were to move to OK, I'd move to Tulsa. Terrain is more interesting, better shopping, better museums - all in all, more upscale than OKC.

But I'm not ever moving back to OK, so there's that. . If we were to leave Austin, it would probably only be for the Florida gulf coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin