Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:45 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,436,557 times

Advertisements

Like I said, I am all for the ban - while driving. But no one can explain to me how me switching songs on my phone while stopped at a red light, is dangerous. I'm not moving. I am in my 40s and have never really grown that attached to my phone. But I do use it to listen to music in the car. BTW, it's still OK to do this on an iPod, just not a phone.

And "distracted driving" is already illegal, so people are not supposed to put on make-up etc. The reason phone are being addressed is because they are responsible for A LOT more accidents than make-up or eating. Texting and driving kills more people than drinking and driving.

I will also add that my husband's car, which is pretty new (newer than mine), has all of the controls on a touch screen - radio, a/c, etc. I think that is every bit as dangerous as a phone. You can't just feel the radio buttons like I do in my car, you have to actually take your eyes off the road to look at the screen. I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed with car manufacturers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Please find where anything was said about holding anything in your hand. I will wait patiently while you do.

Some people here are achieving Olympic records at jumping to conclusions.
Dude...

Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Dude...
Says the chief conclusion jumper ..

Old 08-05-2014, 11:15 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,219,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Dude...
And I think of him as a smart guy.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
The commission had considered allowing the use of cellphones while stopped at stop lights or in traffic jams to remain legal. But on Monday, commissioners voted to recommend stricter rules that would ban cellphone use in those circumstances, too, with commissioner Kent Anschutz leading most of the discussion.

“A lot of people get most enraged getting stuck behind some fool on a cellphone,” Anschutz said.
Boy, there's a great basis for law. People's emotional overreaction to something that has zero effect on them.

Pretty sure that overreaction wouldn't be found in any of the good folks here.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:37 AM

207 posts, read 463,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Like I said, I am all for the ban - while driving. But no one can explain to me how me switching songs on my phone while stopped at a red light, is dangerous. I'm not moving. I am in my 40s and have never really grown that attached to my phone. But I do use it to listen to music in the car. BTW, it's still OK to do this on an iPod, just not a phone.
I've repeatedly come within feet of being hit (and killed) by people hanging out in the left turn lane at a light fiddling with their phone. Each time they were distracted and not paying attention then gunned it when they saw the light had been green who who knows how long and their brief glance didn't see little old me on my bike because they hadn't been taking stock of their surroundings like someone who wasn't enthralled with their glowing rectangle would have so they didn't see me pull up to the intersection across from them. It is a common enough occurrence that I have both hands on the brake levers when I see someone in the left turn lane and I'm going straight. I've seen people do the same when they are going straight and catch the green light of the left hand turn signal or the movement of cars in the turn lane out of the corner of their eye. I've been cut off and pulled out in front of from stop signs as well.

So there's some examples of how it is dangerous. When the ignition is on and the gear is engaged you are in control of a 3000-4000 lb machine which can in an instant kill and maim. Pull over, park, and mess with your playlist there.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
And I think of him as a smart guy.
Here's the part you are all overlooking in the rush to enact something, anything. The short article says "handheld devices, including cellphones". So, if you have your handheld nav system in a mount on your dash, or on your windshield, that is a handheld device, even if it isn't in your hand. And yes - changing the scale on that is no different than changing your radio, or changing your a/c temp.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:02 PM

207 posts, read 463,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Here's the part you are all overlooking in the rush to enact something, anything. The short article says "handheld devices, including cellphones". So, if you have your handheld nav system in a mount on your dash, or on your windshield, that is a handheld device, even if it isn't in your hand. And yes - changing the scale on that is no different than changing your radio, or changing your a/c temp.
Except it is: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration sets standards for driver distraction and operability for built-in systems but does not (yet) do so for dash mounted GPS or smartphone apps.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:43 PM

127 posts, read 298,039 times
I would like the city council to pass the law to ban any vehicle carrying more than one person. I feel very unsafe when people are having conversations while driving, which is really distracting. I was once almost hit by a car coming from the ramp, and the driver was talking to people in the car with his head turned back. Here, people are required to make eye-contact during communication. Consider how destructive that is!

Old 08-05-2014, 01:29 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,059,080 times
Gee, I guess no one can remember the good old days when one didn't need to talk on the phone and drive at the same time.

I miss the days when cell phones didn't exist. A lot of people have become zombies because of them. No one looks up at the world around them anymore - just down at the phone in the palm of their hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin