Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 01:08 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,597 times

Advertisements

Ha! Lot's of people have lived in this area FOREVER - like since the houses were built in the 70s. They probably paid $30k at most (I don't know what houses cost back then). People are pretty nice, but also weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 02:06 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,984 times
It's amazing to see houses in this zip sell for 250K on average. What do you think that will do for the schools in the area?

Old 08-07-2014, 02:53 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,597 times
I do wonder if the people buying these houses have kids. A lot of the new people I see moving in are single or couples with no kids.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:03 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,984 times
I would predict less enrollment, and highly rated schools like Barton Hills, Zilker, Dawson, Becker, etc being closed because of it. Eventually Travis High will be so under-enrolled, they will have to turn it into another LASA to keep it open. Meanwhile, Del Valle ISD will see an enrollment boost from the sub-200K home buying crowd getting pushed out of AISD.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:15 PM

14 posts, read 26,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
I do wonder if the people buying these houses have kids. A lot of the new people I see moving in are single or couples with no kids.
My wife and I are expecting our first next month which is why we moved. Left the eastside for 78745. The schools are rated at 5 in this area compared to 10's down in shady hallow, but I suspect young couples with families will start moving in in the next few years and the ratings will be going up. At least that is what I hope.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:42 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
I would predict less enrollment, and highly rated schools like Barton Hills, Zilker, Dawson, Becker, etc being closed because of it. Eventually Travis High will be so under-enrolled, they will have to turn it into another LASA to keep it open.
Don't see that happening. AISD is going to have to face the music in the near term. Bowie and Akins are over crowded, and every year the hassle of getting HS kids from south of the river north to Austin High, gets worse. There are just too many HS aged kids S, yet there is zero political will to cross the central Austinite true believers who simply will not accept new school construction SW - the consequences be damned.

So, seems like the logical thing to do, is make Crockett another LASA, maybe even STEM focused. Hope that attracts enough S and SW kids to relieve the overcrowding at Bowie and Akins - maybe even enough space for the SW Parkway crowd at Austin High. Take the Crockett kids and send them to Travis.

Gotta do something, but I don't think that will ever include the badly needed SW HS.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDubbery View Post
Thanks for all of the replies folks. It's very helpful.

We are definitely mindful of a house being a lemon. However, I think I still remain more sketched out by the immediate area. That being said, I think we will still move forward in hopes that the area turns around a little bit in the next couple of years (i.e. a few more restaurants/bars/shopping rather than pawn shops etc.).
I've lived in this area for seven years, bought as a single female (now married). The area is definitely shabby looking, but I've always felt extremely safe and the neighbors are friendly. I joke that it's like living in Austin in the 90s...still has a friendly eclectic vibe because artsy people can actually afford it here. Overall, the houses are nothing to write home about but the location is great and construction is really starting to pick up...think there's nowhere to go but up overall given proximity to downtown.

Beware of the flip, though - look at things really closely. Mine was flipped and they cut lots of corners - sloppy cuts, bad sealing, etc. - that we need to fix. All cosmetic, but still. Amateurs.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:33 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Now that I live SW again and do a lot of driving through south Austin, I keep discovering little gems I forgot about which make the '45 pretty cool. I got gas at Wm Cannon and Deaton Hill yesterday and then decided to go ahead and get lunch in that little Chinese joint in the same parking lot. I think it's been there since the 1980s but I haven't been in a long time.

It's sort of a shabby place with only 5 or 6 tables, but the service was perfect and when the plate arrived it was beautiful. Everything, especially the broccoli, was perfectly cooked. I chowed down and thought to myself "it's these small family restaurants that I really like, not the swanky downtown or modern/hip places".

South Austin and 78745 is full of great little places, (including Westgate Lanes in case anyone still likes to bowl and/or just enjoys the ambiance and sounds of being in a bowling alley and eating grill food while hanging with family/friends) and I think that represents the Austin Lifestyle much more than dinner at Uchi (which I also like, but I'm just sayin').

I think others will recognize this and the '45 will continue to be a great alternative for those priced out of '04.

That is of course until 78745 becomes "high priced" itself, which is well underway.

Steve

Old 08-08-2014, 08:47 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Now that I live SW again and do a lot of driving through south Austin, I keep discovering little gems I forgot about which make the '45 pretty cool. I got gas at Wm Cannon and Deaton Hill yesterday and then decided to go ahead and get lunch in that little Chinese joint in the same parking lot. I think it's been there since the 1980s but I haven't been in a long time.
The first "home" my sister owned was in those condos immediately north of there on Deatonhill. And the Mexican restaurant in the shopping center on the corner of WC and Westgate - La Posada - is good as well. And a couple of last outposts of "Old Austin" - a Conan's and a Short Stop - are nearby.

Steve, I think you are right. 45 feels like 04 felt in about 1990.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:56 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
I will agree with this! 45 as similar to the 04 of yore! I live in the 04 but for many things -- arts lesson, martial arts classes, instruction in odd musical instruments, I find myself taking my kids south to 78745!

And yes to the Conan's and Short Stop!! I always feel like I am "back in time!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin