Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 07:58 PM

8 posts, read 12,663 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are a young couple moving to Austin and want to live somewhere close to downtown. South Shore District seems like a nice place that fits our budget but we weren't sure about the area? Is the area sketchy? Is it unsafe? And can you walk to downtown (6th street area) from there or is too far of a walk? And does anyone have any opinions/reviews/comments on that apartment complex?

Thanks so much

Last edited by ice10; 08-06-2014 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 08:20 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,827 times
Nice place, lived there. I would definitely recommend it and the area is improving. We only walked downtown a few times, would usually cab it.

Welcome to the the forum - please post back/contribute to what you eventually decided.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:22 PM

615 posts, read 780,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice10 View Post
Hi,

We are a young couple moving to Austin and want to live somewhere close to downtown. South Shore District seems like a nice place that fits our budget but we weren't sure about the area? Is the area sketchy? Is it unsafe? And can you walk to downtown (6th street area) from there or is too far of a walk? And does anyone have any opinions/reviews/comments on that apartment complex?

Thanks so much
That area is a bit sketchy by Austin standards, but I wouldn't call it unsafe. I think you could bike downtown (a few miles) but I don't think it's walkable. Some nice perks would be having the boardwalk so close and access to the lake.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
You can easily walk to 6th street from there, its only about 2 miles one way. There is a nice new hike and bike trail from the boardwalk just north of the South Shore District to Congress Avenue or S. First Street bridges north into downtown. Ann and Roy Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail and Boardwalk at Lady Bird Lake | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

It does have limited hours.

Quote:
Hours: The Boardwalk is open from 5am to midnight each day, with a curfew between midnight and 5am.
But you can still walk or bicycle back along Riverside Drive if you have a late night out.

E. Riverside Drive is rapidly improving with lots of nice new apartment complexes being built. The area further East is historically one of the higher crime areas in Austin, but I think we will be seeing that rapidly changing with all of the investments that are being made in upgrading that area.

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ecome-new.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-06-2014 at 08:56 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 09:12 PM

8 posts, read 12,663 times
Thanks guys - we are also looking into Sabina, AMLI-Eastside, Eleven, and Zilkr on the Park. Should make a decision by Friday or Saturday so will let you know what we decide.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:55 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,285 times
I lived in South Shore District before it was called South Shore District 8-14 years ago when the area was much sketchier, and even then I wouldn't have considered it unsafe for normal folks doing normal things. I lived in the complex called The Breakers which is just west of there and can remember when all that was just a tiny busted Radio Shack. Things have only improved each year safety wise since then with gentrification. There used to be a huge low income housing development several blocks away where one could see street walkers at night and crack dealers, and even then the places actually on E. Riverside Dr felt clean and safe (at least near the highway). I didn't have a problem with my wife jogging by herself in the daytime nor me at night, although I admit I wouldn't have wanted her jogging by herself at night there. That low income housing was entirely razed since then and is now a huge development, and the Radio Shack is now a $60 million mixed use development.

With that said, I disagree with CptRon's (feels weird to say that!) post that one can easily walk from downtown. It is quite a trek and not something I think people would want to normally do when going out. If you're in tennis shoes and athletic clothes, sure it's easily doable, but after a night drinking that's a long walk. You'll find it too short for a cab (they illegally slam the door and drive off if you don't get in first), too long for a pedicab, and not a fun walk.

You mentioned the other places you were considering...if Zilkr on the Park is anywhere remotely similar in price to Southshore, I would choose Zilker 1,000 times over. It is in a much, much nicer area, it's brand new construction, it's not sitting right on I-35 (yuck), and you're right next to Zilker Park and Barton Springs, the crown jewel of Austin! That can't be beat. The quality of life on the west side would be so much higher in my mind that it would be astonishing. You'd be just steps from the hike and bike trail, but on the beautiful west side part as opposed to the less used, more industrial, less naturally beautiful east side part. In fact I live in that area now, so I myself have made the move from the East Riverside area to the Zilker area, and I couldn't be happier. I never want to move if I'm fortunate enough to be able to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin