Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 02:01 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,218 times

Advertisements

I used Hughesnet. It sucked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 12:07 PM

15 posts, read 43,164 times
I too live out near Hamilton pool rd and highly recommend Hillcountry Network Systems | Home service is great and so is rick the owner!

Old 08-09-2014, 02:14 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
We get 10 Mbps off Gen4 at our lease near Pearsall. There's no LTE there, and 3G is probably 1/5 that speed.
Bandwidth isn't the issue. It is latency. Satellite can send lots of data, but it still takes a long time to get the signal to a satellite 22,000 miles away.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:56 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Bandwidth isn't the issue. It is latency. Satellite can send lots of data, but it still takes a long time to get the signal to a satellite 22,000 miles away.
Yea, well nobody at our lease is playing WOW, so maybe we just don't notice that. Will have to run SpeedTest when I'm out there in November and report back.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:30 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
We are a 3rd world country in terms of internet offerings in the rural areas. We live 40 miles SW of Austin (the "Silicon Hills") and our choices are: 1) get raped by Verizon and their data plan ($120+/month for 14GB of data), 2) local lione-of-sight providers (vary from $60-75/month but uniformly suck in terms of speed and customer support) or 3) get raped by the satellite companies with data limits.

So, yeah, sorry - it sucks and if you want to work from home or just watch Amazon prime or Netflix or whatever online, good luck.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:00 AM

34 posts, read 87,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
2) local lione-of-sight providers (vary from $60-75/month but uniformly suck in terms of speed and customer support) .
Curious as to which line of site providers you have experience with? We are building a home in a rural area between Wimberley and Dripping Springs. There are several WISPS that service our area, obviously some being better than others.

We have very good elevation on our property, and want to pick the best provider for our needs.

ATT 4G provides very good service on the property, but is not cost effective for long term use. Satellite is NOT an option due to latency issues. I work in the tech industry and have a home office, so I will be searching for my best option.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtoTX View Post
Curious as to which line of site providers you have experience with? We are building a home in a rural area between Wimberley and Dripping Springs. There are several WISPS that service our area, obviously some being better than others.

We have very good elevation on our property, and want to pick the best provider for our needs.

ATT 4G provides very good service on the property, but is not cost effective for long term use. Satellite is NOT an option due to latency issues. I work in the tech industry and have a home office, so I will be searching for my best option.
Look into Verizon mobile broadband service.
I have that..3G which provides equivalent of DSL.
I was able to telecommute and upload/download code and ssh into remote servers with no problem.
No latency and it was a steady connection. And I only had a solid 3 bars out of 5.

Verizon will also let you return it within 30 days if it doesn't work out.

I have solid 3G service and am starting to see 4G pop up on my radar but I locked my USB stick into 3G for now until the 4G becomes more reliable.

I moved from the Austin area out to Milam county.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 AM

34 posts, read 87,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Look into Verizon mobile broadband service.
I have that..3G which provides equivalent of DSL.
I was able to telecommute and upload/download code and ssh into remote servers with no problem.
No latency and it was a steady connection. And I only had a solid 3 bars out of 5.

Verizon will also let you return it within 30 days if it doesn't work out.

I have solid 3G service and am starting to see 4G pop up on my radar but I locked my USB stick into 3G for now until the 4G becomes more reliable.

I moved from the Austin area out to Milam county.
I get 4G with ATT and my speeds are in the 15M range with a good solid 4 bars of service. Biggest issue with ATT (and Verizon) is they don't allow unlimited data plans. I use between 150-200GB a month currently. That type of usage is just not cost effective on any of the major carriers wireless plans.

I will need some type of WISP service and with several in the area, it may be trial and error to find the right one.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
I get 4G with ATT and my speeds are in the 15M range with a good solid 4 bars of service. Biggest issue with ATT (and Verizon) is they don't allow unlimited data plans. I use between 150-200GB a month currently. That type of usage is just not cost effective on any of the major carriers wireless plans.

I will need some type of WISP service and with several in the area, it may be trial and error to find the right one.
Yeah..with that type of usage forget AT&T and Verizon.
There is one WISP out by me but the tower is below a hill which put me in their dead zone.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:29 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:

We use MediaCottage and they are great but not sure if they service the area you are referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin