Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
You're own article that that you sourced for this thread disagrees with you.

The irony here is that the article you posted is largely positive on the results and benefits of the rail system in Portland. And it poses some interesting questions for Austin, such as," 'What kind of community do you want to create?' In healthy, livable communities, people aren’t dependent on their cars."

And I like that the author acknowledges the culture of sprawl in Austin as the #1 challenge to the success of light rail here. Austin is growing up and we need to decide who we want to be. We can continue the careless Houston-type sprawl, or we can be more thoughtful in our approach.

Regarding the Statesman title, "Portland light rail's mixed track record," it is sensational and misleading at best—obvious click bait. Anyone who has read the article would agree.
You do realize that that's an opinion, and a biased one, whether you happen to agree with it or not, right? Or is the only possible healthy, livable community one that fits your personal preferences?

Old 08-11-2014, 08:08 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
How can anyone say that BUSES are better than trains? Whatchu talkin bout Willis?

I ride Metrorail and, on occasion, MetroRapid. "Metrorapid" was anything but fast, taking 45-50 minutes to get to Tech Ridge, whereas Metrorail was a smooth 30 minute ride. How can one actually compare the two? Obviously, people who aren't seasoned public transit riders.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
How can anyone say that BUSES are better than trains? Whatchu talkin bout Willis?

I ride Metrorail and, on occasion, MetroRapid. "Metrorapid" was anything but fast, taking 45-50 minutes to get to Tech Ridge, whereas Metrorail was a smooth 30 minute ride. How can one actually compare the two? Obviously, people who aren't seasoned public transit riders.
People who oppose rail and say "bus is just as good and cheaper" are the ones who don't use public transportation and will never use public transportation.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:13 PM

615 posts, read 781,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You do realize that that's an opinion, and a biased one, whether you happen to agree with it or not, right? Or is the only possible healthy, livable community one that fits your personal preferences?
You can take that up with the executive director of the Portland Development Commission. Those are his words, not mine. Although, I tend to agree.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:35 PM

416 posts, read 581,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
People who oppose rail and say "bus is just as good and cheaper" are the ones who don't use public transportation and will never use public transportation.
And, like I said, these people never point to actual bus systems to prove their point. Where are these outstanding, enviable bus systems in America that outperform rail? Which cities outperform SEPTA and SF light rail with just buses? Tell us about them. I'm not saying it can't be done or that these systems don't exist. I would just like for people who take the "bus is just as good and cheaper" position to actually provide some solid evidence that this is the case.

Last edited by Devout Urbanist; 08-11-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 09:16 PM

156 posts, read 244,858 times
Though I support more passenger rail, Austin's proposed urban rail plan is pathetic.

It stops 3 miles short of the southeastern airport, yet extends 3 miles north of UT to a suburban mall already served by commuter rail.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
And, like I said, these people never point to actual bus systems to prove their point. Where are these outstanding, enviable bus systems in America that outperform rail? Which cities outperform SEPTA and SF light rail with just buses? Tell us about them. I'm not saying it can't be done or that these systems don't exist. I would just like for people who take the "bus is just as good and cheaper" position to actually provide some solid evidence that this is the case.
They can't because it's a bunch of nonsense.

Trains simply attract riders who will never take the bus - period. That's just a fact and proven everywhere its been tried. It's really maddening trying to argue with flat earthers who won't buy into basic concepts that literally every transit expert in the world acknowledges as true and instead look to libertarians transit haters as their source of information.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:24 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeopleAreStrange View Post
Though I support more passenger rail, Austin's proposed urban rail plan is pathetic.

It stops 3 miles short of the southeastern airport, yet extends 3 miles north of UT to a suburban mall already served by commuter rail.
I agree completely.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:25 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
I think it's more the responsibility of rail proponents to prove your case. What problem will all this proposed Austin rail actual solve and how much will it cost?

It would be nice if there was a commonly accepted metric upon which to measure "success". Like a "transit score" that takes into account all the various and nuanced variables. That's probably not possible as even coming up with such a measure would create debate. So us meat and potato eaters are left to simply ask, "how much will it cost and what problem will it solve?" And then we get sticker shock and are skeptical of the promise.

I would love to love rail. Just like I'd love to drive a Tesla, or an Audi. But my last purchase (for my wife) was a Hyundai Sonata because I run the math on things when spending my own money. I'm still driving a 2008 Chevy Silverado. I expect my government and fellow citizens to do the same instead of falling in love with a dreamy, expensive wish of an idea that rail will make anything better in Austin TX. If it will, prove it with numbers, maps and data based on provable assumptions.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 08-11-2014 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-11-2014, 10:36 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
I think a big part of the problem is selling ANY transit idea to folks who are very likely to be living somewhere else before one scintilla of improvement is ever realized from most of these projects...IF indeed there IS improvement. In the meantime, it costs lots of money and creates all sorts of inconvenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin