Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Yes, Austin is the allergy capital of the world. If you don't have allergies when you move here..you will within a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 05:10 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Steve- suggesting cortisone for a child is not a Bandaid for allergy relief- it has several significant potential problems- especially for a growing child-weakens and slows bone growth in a child...
Woops, when I posted that I forgot we were talking about a kid.
Steve

Old 12-23-2007, 07:32 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Ask the doctor for a cortizone shot and you'll be like new.
That's what I got and it did no good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
Out of curiosity...why can't you get that shot every year?
My doctor told me regular doses of cortisone is the 2nd leading cause of osteoporosis. That's why he wouldn't recommend I get on a regular cycle of allergy shots. Even just a couple of times a year has a significant impact.

Last edited by achtungpv; 12-23-2007 at 08:26 PM..

Old 12-23-2007, 07:49 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,574 times
In a local publication I read that some people have local wildflower honey to help them avoid or get over allergies. Not sure of the details but it sounds yummy if you don't have to worry about calories

Do those allergy shots not work too well?

Old 12-23-2007, 07:59 PM

20 posts, read 112,587 times
Cool Thanks from mom

All of these posts are really helpful! I am going to call me allergist after Christmas and see what he has to say regarding all of the information that has been provided. Thanks again, and Happy Holidays to all!!

Old 12-23-2007, 08:56 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
I'm pretty sure Bruce Lee became addicted to cortisone shots and that helped lead to his death. It's OK to get them once in a while, but I believe they weaken your bone structure. I read that Bruce was like an old man right before he died.

I have a friend who suffers from allergies. She does something kind of awesome that of course I can't remember exactly right now. I think she makes a tea with the stuff she's allergic to (or maybe she just rubs it on her or sniffs it... I'm not sure. probably depends on if it's poisonous or not). A very diluted version and just a little bit at a time. It helps her to build a tolerance for it. She said it's very similar to the shots allergy doctors give their patients. But it's much cheaper the way she does it. I'm sure there's probably info on the internet about how to do it.

Is there a main set of allergens that people in Austin are allergic to? I wonder if it would be helpful for people to start building tolerances to the allergies in advance... before they actually become allergic. Either with shots or weakened tea. Maybe if someone goes to an allergist they can ask and post it here!

Old 12-24-2007, 09:12 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,755 times
Default Allergy Shots

Ok, so I think there is some confusion here with the definition of allergy shots. Whilst I am no MD, shots like cortisone are steriod injections that can help but as some have mentioned, can cause side effects.

The other kind of shot is long term immunotherapy. This consists of a set of tests (typically 30+ scrapes on your back with allergens and then further injections of the allergens that you reacted to). Once the allergist has determined what you are allergic to then you start a long term (1-2 years) series of increasingly strong shots that build up your natural resistance to the allergens. For me it was well work it. I went from almost continuous allergic reactions (read cold and flu symptoms) to all the stuff we have here, to being essentially free of allergic reactions in 2 years. The early days are not much fun, 3 times a week with 2 shots on each visit, but I am down to 2 shots once a month.

I can recommend Austic Asthma and Allergy clinic (http://www.allergy-asthma-austin.com/) - no affinity, just a happy customer.

- Tim

Old 12-24-2007, 11:45 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
Sorry, I was talking about BOTH kinds of shots. I should have differentiated between them.

I meant that my friend did something on her own that was similar to "immunotherapy". To build up her natural resistance without having to go to a doctor. Again, I think it's tea.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:50 PM

115 posts, read 451,852 times
In another post a mother said she went to HEB and got Local honey. She gave it to her children one teaspoon in the a.m. and one in the p.m.. The Local honey has been helping her children. The two she has bought was Roun Rock Honey and Goodflow Wildflower honey. Can't hurt. Feel better

Old 01-16-2008, 08:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
The local honey helps with the cedar fever (Nov-Mar give or take) when the pollen is at the greatest. I have not heard that the honey helps with any other kinds of allergies.

Even folks that don't have allergies can get cedar fever if the count is that high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin