Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:34 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times

Advertisements

Both public transit in Austin and the parking situation at UT aren't so great. 99% of students I know at UT (I'm one of them.) either live within walking/biking distance of campus or in one of the student neighborhoods on the UT shuttle routes (East Riverside, Hyde Park, and Far West). I know a few who do commute in by car, just know that between traffic and walking to class, it'll take about an hour and cost upwards of $6-700 a year for the garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 08:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Yes, Austinizer has the right idea and the right stuff. Here's a paragraph from the UT page on their shuttles, operated in conjunction with CapMetro, the city bus service.

Quote:
The UT Shuttle System is one of the largest university shuttle systems in the country, with 11 routes and over 5.2 million passengers annually. The shuttle system provides an easy and cost effective way for students, faculty, staff, and visitors to access the UT campus. UT students, faculty, and staff may ride the shuttles at no charge with a valid UT photo ID.

Shuttles | Parking & Transportation Services (PTS) | The University of Texas at Austin
When I lived in Austin I used the bus system fairly frequently, especially to attend large events like downtown festivals, when driving could be hair-raising and parking absurdly expensive and hassle prone. Then when I signed up for a class at UT, jumping on the shuttle to campus instead of driving was a no brainer.

I suggest you give strong consideration to these shuttle routes when looking for a place to live, because they'll give your son a lot of freedom of movement, for free, and on schedules that are well matched to a UT students' needs... first bus at oh-dark:thirty, last bus at 11:30pm, 15 minute intervals at rush hours.

Second best would be proximity to a major CapMetro route, but look carefully at the details to see if a particular route is a match for his needs. Some stop running at 9 pm, some don't run on weekends, etc. But several of the key feeder routes run right by the campus, so it's fairly easy to connect to, and a monthly pass is only $33.

This is all assuming you want to live in the city. In the suburbs the connections and schedules are likely to be too frustrating to be very workable for a student.

Good luck!

Old 08-14-2014, 08:50 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montgomerychild View Post
Considering moving to Austin and I hear they have a good public transit system. Is this true? I have a son who will be going to U Texas but living at home and will need transit to get to school. Help!
Whether or not the transit is decent depends on where you live and when you need to access it. Where will he be living?

Old 08-15-2014, 10:16 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,898 times
Public transportation in Austin is pretty terrible, but if he's in the neighborhoods right next to UT, he might be okay. Getting around anywhere else in Austin will require a car.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:11 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Public transportation in Austin is pretty terrible, but if he's in the neighborhoods right next to UT, he might be okay. Getting around anywhere else in Austin will require a car.
Honestly, I don't know why people make ridiculous statements like this. Thousands and thousands of people live and work in Austin who don't even own cars, and who depend entirely on public transportation.

I've lived in places with excellent public transportation and in places with terrible public transportation, and Austin is neither. It's somewhere in the middle, toward the top half, I'd say. Consider that you can get from the far north end of town down to downtown and then out to the airport with only one transfer, for I think $2 now.

Where I live now I have two buses in to the city in the morning, and one in the afternoon, and similar returns. No service Sundays. Now THAT is terrible service!

Old 08-16-2014, 02:33 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,591 times
Here is a map of apartments on shuttle routes to UT: UT Austin Apartments, Student Apartments on UT Shuttle, Austin TX Apartments, Apartment Locator, UT Austin Housing Near Campus

Also, UT is well-served by city bus routes 1, 3, 5, 19 and MetroRapid 801 and 803. Also, there are express bus routes like 983, 985, 987 that go straight to campus as well.

If you can find a home located along these routes, your son should be perfectly fine getting to school everyday.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:02 AM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Considering moving to Austin and I hear they have a good public transit system. Is this true? I have a son who will be going to U Texas but living at home and will need transit to get to school. Help!
Compared with a city in Yankeeland our public transportation is terrible. But if your son can find housing in the right area it can work out fine.

Bicycle highly recommended.

Don in Austin

Old 08-17-2014, 02:28 PM

5,868 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Compared with a city in Yankeeland our public transportation is terrible. But if your son can find housing in the right area it can work out fine.

Bicycle highly recommended.

Don in Austin
It's also helpful to know that the buses have bicycle racks on them which makes the combination of bike and bus work much better!

Old 08-17-2014, 04:51 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,792 times
if you don't plan on living in central Austin, there are a few options like south congress/1st that have buses going all the way to slaughter. there are express buses that go to and from Jollyville/cedar park at the mall there and express buses that go to tech ridge near pflugerville

Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 AM

7 posts, read 11,946 times
Default Austin Far West area

Quote:
Maybe the Far West Area would fit both you and your son .... I live there, the bus stop and the grocery store (HEB) are within 3-5 minutes of walking distance... They are pretty close... Many UT and ACC(Austin Community College) students live in this area. But homes and apartment complexes can be a bit expensive and older. If you think it's affordable, then take a look into the area.

Last edited by michaeltx94; 08-18-2014 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: Just added some more words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin