Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How far would you walk to a train at the beginning and end of your workday to commute via rail?
I would walk a mile or more morning and evening. 17 34.00%
I would walk half mile morning and evening. 22 44.00%
I will only walk a short distance, must be convenient. 10 20.00%
I don't walk further than the car in my driveway. 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 09:16 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times

Advertisements

After all the smoke cleared from Prop 1 and Austin area people consider the options for commuting, I wanted to find out the level of commitment to using rail. Without a raging debate of the value or cost of rail, I simply want to know how far would you walk at each end of the train trip in order to use rail as a regular method of commuting?

Answer the poll as if rail is the method you will use for commuting most of the time M-F under regular business hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 09:23 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Why limit it to walking? Bikes are the way to go.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:42 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Not far. I don't really want to take three showers a day. Walking in cold weather to a train is fine, on the other hand -- you just warm up at your destination and go on about your day. You can "unsweat" your grossness after hoofin' it when it's 90 degrees.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:22 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
I'm in for a mile at each end as I have done this in the past (even further really).

Of course this comes with some conditions as I was spoiled by Metro North.

- I need at least one train originating at my station so that I can arrive, finish my Lucky Strike, grab the paper, a cup of joe and easily find a seat.

- I need a few very early trains (non originating) for the 90 or so days when I opt to take the 6:30 am train so that I can beat the heat...as it were.

- I woud also like an enormous train terminal downtown for my arrival as it makes me feel all important. Think Grand Central Terminal meets El Tovar, that should work.

- Tokens, I liked tokens, we'll need to bring tokens back.

That would do it.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:26 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Even if my area had an option for a train/bus, I would not use it. If I receive a call from my kids' school that something is wrong and that I need to be there, I can't wait for a train/bus to take me back to my drop off to still walk some distance to get to my car to get to my kids. Having a car is a convenience, and one that I'm not willing to give up.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:30 AM

375 posts, read 319,275 times
I live close to the Lakeline station and would love to take the rail to work, but work central Austin. Wouldn't mind having to walk. Might grumble more in the summer! My son takes it every weekday from Lakeline to downtown Whole Foods for work. He says it's full most days. Walks a mile or so from rail to work. No complaints. Beats sitting on 183/Mopac every morning.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:41 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Even if my area had an option for a train/bus, I would not use it. If I receive a call from my kids' school that something is wrong and that I need to be there, I can't wait for a train/bus to take me back to my drop off to still walk some distance to get to my car to get to my kids. Having a car is a convenience, and one that I'm not willing to give up.
The usual in areas with a large public transit populace is to have a decent network of grandparents or trusted friends in the area to handle the dreaded school nurse child with a fever phone call.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:48 AM

77 posts, read 77,783 times
Quote:
And that happens how many times???

I think in 15 years and 3 children I've had to go to the school a handful of times, none of which were absolutely urgent and couldn't have managed an hour's delay.

If you are a realtor though, you will need your car for your work so I don't see this discussion being relevant to you.

I have walked half a mile either end whilst living in london with no problem but then I also cycled 5 miles to work and home and that wasn't a problem either....so perhaps I'm not your average Austinite??

This morning, I had to go to a dr appointment on W38th street, and as I sat there on Mopac, I thought how nice it would be to have a monorail aboveground going over the top...

Old 01-08-2015, 10:57 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cariadbach View Post
And that happens how many times???

I think in 15 years and 3 children I've had to go to the school a handful of times, none of which were absolutely urgent and couldn't have managed an hour's delay.

If you are a realtor though, you will need your car for your work so I don't see this discussion being relevant to you.

I have walked half a mile either end whilst living in london with no problem but then I also cycled 5 miles to work and home and that wasn't a problem either....so perhaps I'm not your average Austinite??

This morning, I had to go to a dr appointment on W38th street, and as I sat there on Mopac, I thought how nice it would be to have a monorail aboveground going over the top...
I pointed out that even if it was an option, I wouldn't utilize it. But I was also answering in terms of if I ever went back into corporate world. A car is a convenience I wouldn't do without.

I received a call last year that blood was gushing down my daughter's chin as she fell on the playground and they couldn't stop the bleeding. That couldn't wait an hour, I was there in 10 minutes. My son slipped and fell on the corner of a table and broke his nose, blood everywhere. I was able to be there in 15 minutes. I couldn't imagine if it took me an hour to get there.

As they get older, I'm sure calls from the schools slow down, but there are always accidents you can't plan for. I would not be able to stay calm/patient enough to wait for a train or bus or cab or uber to arrive to get me to the schools.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:13 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
I received a call last year that blood was gushing down my daughter's chin as she fell on the playground and they couldn't stop the bleeding. That couldn't wait an hour, I was there in 10 minutes. My son slipped and fell on the corner of a table and broke his nose, blood everywhere. I was able to be there in 15 minutes. I couldn't imagine if it took me an hour to get there.
As I'm not a parent, maybe there's liability or bureaucracy issues I'm not aware of. But in both of these cases, what's you being there immediately really going to do?

If they couldn't stop the bleeding, what's your rushing over there going to accomplish, it's not like you personally are going to stitch it up in the school nurses office. In both cases, the kids need professional medical attention, not you personally (objectively, obviously you comforting them is of emotional help).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin