Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:22 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,959,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Categorizing the Mopac Express lane project as "Largely repainting" and "basically just turning the shoulder into another lane" is very misleading.

I didn't "categorize the Mopac Express lane project as "Largely repainting" ".

I said "large sections of that are literally just repainting".

Can you seriously not tell the difference between claiming 22 miles of a project are repainting and accurately stating that multiple miles are repainting?

Last edited by Debsi; 08-25-2014 at 11:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 12:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,782,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I didn't "categorize the Mopac Express lane project as "Largely repainting"
You did exactly that. Misleading by omission.

Accurately describing the Mopac Express Lane project is not possible without including the additional pavement (including bridge expansion), the new entrance/exit ramps, the construction of sound walls, the tolling infrastructure, and the physical lane separation. In other words, mentioning the things which comprise the vast majority of the project spending.

Instead, you only mentioned several miles of repainting and "basically just turning the shoulder into another lane". Even after I pointed out that there is obviously much more going on, you chose not to acknowledge that. You do understand people see right through this, correct?

Old 08-25-2014, 12:32 PM

912 posts, read 1,276,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
More like rideable drones, like a hoverbike, or small car.
Is it a plane? No, it's a hoverbike

I guess we can agree to disagree. Like I said, history is replete with naysayers and their facts and data being proven wrong by the determination of stupid dreamers who didn't know any better. And it's replete with the opposite, scientific thinkers saying "I just don't understand" when something that should have worked, or been successful, doesn't and isn't.

Traffic is choked in Austin, getting worse exponentially, and can't be fixed by an expensive rail system. Why not imagine something different? Driverless cars are a reality, not a far fetched idea. Uber is already here, so is the emerging concept of shared cars. Why wouldn't those three things naturally converge?

Steve
For what it's worth, I've had the same thought. Driverless pod cars that could hook together like train cars. Electric battery technology is advancing as well. I guess we'll see what happens. This is probably not one of those things worth arguing on the internet about

Old 08-25-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
You did exactly that. Misleading by omission.

Accurately describing the Mopac Express Lane project is not possible without including the additional pavement (including bridge expansion), the new entrance/exit ramps, the construction of sound walls, the tolling infrastructure, and the physical lane separation. In other words, mentioning the things which comprise the vast majority of the project spending.

Instead, you only mentioned several miles of repainting and "basically just turning the shoulder into another lane". Even after I pointed out that there is obviously much more going on, you chose not to acknowledge that. You do understand people see right through this, correct?
The words "Largely repainting" didn't even appear in my post.

Are you claiming that if significant sections (approximately 30%) _weren't_ simply reallocating space within the existing RoW (in other words, if significant eminent domain had occurred), that the price wouldn't be higher? That all the extra land would be free?

In any highway project where such reallocation _isn't_ an option (say, I don't know, like I35 which was what was being discussed), the per mile price would be expected to be _even higher_ . All the things you called out ("the new entrance/exit ramps, the construction of sound walls, the tolling infrastructure, and the physical lane separation.") are still needed. AND more land. AND more pavement expansion.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Are you claiming that if significant sections (approximately 30%) _weren't_ simply reallocating space within the existing RoW (in other words, if significant eminent domain had occurred), that the price wouldn't be higher? That all the extra land would be free?

In any highway project where such reallocation _isn't_ an option (say, I don't know, like I35 which was what was being discussed), the per mile price would be expected to be _even higher_ . All the things you called out ("the new entrance/exit ramps, the construction of sound walls, the tolling infrastructure, and the physical lane separation.") are still needed. AND more land. AND more pavement expansion.
I'm claiming that there is MUCH more to the Mopac Express lane project than lane repainting and re-purposing a shoulder. That is all I have claimed. Do you not agree? Just give a straight answer on that, not other questions or responses to claims which I have never made.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I'm claiming that there is MUCH more to the Mopac Express lane project than lane repainting and re-purposing a shoulder. That is all I have claimed. Do you not agree?

Of course there is. I _never_ said there wasn't. My statement only applied to _some_ segments of the project (the approximately 7 miles out of 22 where they _are_ "repainting and re-purposing a shoulder").

Old 08-25-2014, 01:12 PM

Thank you. Then all you needed to do when I posted this:

Quote:
Ah yes, everyone who travels Mopac daily is familiar with all that "just repainting" they are doing.
was say

Quote:
Of course there is [much more to the Mopac express lanes project than repainting]. I _never_ said there wasn't. My statement only applied to _some_ segments of the project (the approximately 7 miles out of 22 where they _are_ "repainting and re-purposing a shoulder").
Heck, maybe the moderators can trim our comments in between so future readers can more easily get the gist.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Then all you needed to do when I posted this:

was say

Heck, maybe the moderators can trim our comments in between so future readers can more easily get the gist.
Isn't that what I said?

"Yes, there are areas that are being expanded, but for several miles, they are adding no extra pavement"

Old 01-06-2015, 02:47 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,692,397 times
So is their a ceiling to what uber and lyft can charge based on demand? I have heard of 10 times the base rate in Austin at certain times.

Good thing about a conventional taxi is you know the rate before hand.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:54 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,030,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
So is their a ceiling to what uber and lyft can charge based on demand? I have heard of 10 times the base rate in Austin at certain times.

Good thing about a conventional taxi is you know the rate before hand.
I thought with uber and lyft they quoted you a rate when you requested a car. I have no idea if that is the case or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin