Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,504 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating from Staten Island, NYC to Austin. I was born here and have lived here now for 55 years. I have commuted to NYC downtown/midtown for 10 years, NJ and been working in a public high school on Staten Island as a technology teacher for the past 14 years.

I am interested in a change. I am tried of the long winters, prefer a warmer, sunnier climate along with a less congested, slower and less competitive/contentious environment, not to mention a less costly location. I feel abused by the tax burden and monthly EZpass expense. I have visited Austin numerous times considering a future relocation. I like the culture, politeness, pace, size, feeling of young creative energy, artistic expression, vibe, architecture/materials used in the buildings (all of which stimulates my artistic interests and appreciation), food (innovative, varied.... even good Italian food and pizza is available....important!), music, ease of movement by car and more. It seems like my speed and that there is enough going on to keep a New Yorker interested.

I enjoyed trips to the hill country, wineries, watering holes, rivers, lakes and hiking. I love the big sky and feeling of openness indicative of the southwest. I'm an active person and enjoy cycling and a variety of sports. My husband is interested in cycling and dreams of getting a motorcycle if we move there. We are worried about the dangers here on a motorcycle so he hasn't bought one. It appears to have a good quality of life and standard of living that is harder to obtain in the NYC metro area. Unfortunately, teachers do not get paid very well there but I'm aware the the cost of living is probably about 20% less that Staten Island. Real estate taxes are lower here and might make up for your lack of a state tax because I see that property taxes can be high in numerous areas. We pay about $4,500 on a house valued at almost $500K that is very generous in size with a large property and garage (Staten Island is more like the suburbs rather than the inner city) in an integrated area.

I'm concerned about the fact that there are great distances from Austin to any surrounding cities of interest. Do you feel isolated after awhile? I will miss the beautiful beaches and coastal waters here and hoping that a big dramatic sky might be the substitute.

I'd like to hear from the New Yorkers who have relocated to Austin. What has been your experience? If you work in the public school system now, please share your experience there too. I would very much appreciate your feedback. It's a big decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 08:19 AM

110 posts, read 241,710 times
Well, you should get some decent responses. I have seen an incredible number of New York license plates around town lately (the yellow ones are easy to spot).

Old 08-24-2014, 10:25 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times
I grew up on LI and moved here 9 years ago after 7 years down in the Village. I don't miss anything about NY at this point. You need to accept Austin for what it is and not expect it to be like NY in any way, shape or form. I moved here because I wanted a change and that's what I got. It sounds like you have the right mindset to make a move to TX work. I have family up in Dallas so I visited many times over a period of years before we took the plunge.

Good luck! Come on down. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions. My taxes are $8k on a 3000 sf home, BTW.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DButera View Post
I'm concerned about the fact that there are great distances from Austin to any surrounding cities of interest. Do you feel isolated after awhile? I will miss the beautiful beaches and coastal waters here and hoping that a big dramatic sky might be the substitute.
You probably think that only because you are not aware of what is available in Austin and San Antonio, which is only 70 miles away. I have often driven to Dallas or Houston for a business meeting or museum show and back to Austin in a day, or sometimes for the weekend for a boat show, museum show or just to see some different sites or events.

The San Antonio Riverwalk is a must see, plan on a long weekend. The Official Website of The San Antonio River Walk

Lots of other things there to see and do also, such as a great art museum. Visit San Antonio, Texas | Explore San Antonio things to Do, Attractions, Events, River Walk & More

The Texas coast and beaches are pretty nice too, a 3.5 hour drive away. And warm enough for swimming a lot more of each year than those on the East coast. See the photos in some of these threads.

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...nderrated.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...s-just-me.html

Old 08-24-2014, 04:09 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
You won't find good Italian food on the same par as NYC, but if you're willing to sacrifice that for the best BBQ and pretty decent Tex-Mex, you'll be fine!

Old 08-24-2014, 05:47 PM

615 posts, read 781,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
You won't find good Italian food on the same par as NYC, but if you're willing to sacrifice that for the best BBQ and pretty decent Tex-Mex, you'll be fine!
Austin has some of the best food in the country, in addition to amazing BBQ. Regarding Italian, there are plenty of restaurants here that rival the east coast … Vespaio, Asti, Botticelli, La Traviata, Olive & June, Quattro Gatti—the list goes on. There are more options here than just Tex Mex and BBQ.

Quote:
You won't feel isolated here. Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio are a short drive away, and because Austin is so centrally located, a flight to NYC or LA only takes a few hours. As a former East Coaster though, I can honestly say there's no equivalent to the beaches of the northeast. But, it's a great excuse to go back for a vacation.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:00 PM

313 posts, read 786,432 times
Spent 6 years in NYC prior to Austin.

You'll definitely miss the beaches, there are now direct flights to Mexico 2.5 hours each way. Playa Del Carmen beaches are far superior to anything in the NE

Of all the things I miss in the NE, I miss Fall. Leaves, crisp weather. Perfect hiking.

Food options here have exploded since I arrived 9 years ago. Its become a serious food town, well beyond just bbq and texmex. Pizza isn't as good nor as abundant nor is the Italian, but overall food quality here is superb.

Cost of living is higher than I expected here, unless you want to live in Round Rock or the far suburbs, in which case it can be dirt cheap

Old 08-25-2014, 02:17 PM

69 posts, read 142,271 times
As a former NYer, I really miss how everything was in such close proximity - I could do a weekend in Vermont, go to Boston, drive to Upstate NY, Philly, etc. Here in Austin, things just aren't that close and after doing Dallas/Houston/San Antonio/Hill Country, you tend to get bored. So yes, in my opinion living in Austin is isolating. I also sometimes resent the "slower pace" lifestyle (which sometimes includes driving). In my opinion, people here aren't as wordly. (Yes that's a major generalization but that's my opinion.) I miss accessibility to anything I want, anytime I want, in a 24/7 city. I really, really miss the beach. I miss the smell of the ocean and being able to access great summer seafood. The Texas coastal towns are a poor substitute in my opinion. I also miss having four seasons, snow (although I dont think I'd miss NY's last winter) and the ease of commuting on the subways. As for cost of living, when we moved here 5 years ago things were much, much cheaper. I can't believe in only 5 years how much things have changed cost of living-wise. I don't think I would have moved here if I came here today for the first time. That being said, Austin has been very good to me and my family and I'm overall glad I made the move.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:07 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul6835 View Post
Cost of living is higher than I expected here, unless you want to live in Round Rock or the far suburbs, in which case it can be dirt cheap
House on the right is $485K in Montclair, NJ. House on the left is $459K here in Texas.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:22 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DButera View Post
I'm considering relocating from Staten Island, NYC to Austin. I was born here and have lived here now for 55 years. I have commuted to NYC downtown/midtown for 10 years, NJ and been working in a public high school on Staten Island as a technology teacher for the past 14 years.

I am interested in a change. I am tried of the long winters, prefer a warmer, sunnier climate along with a less congested, slower and less competitive/contentious environment, not to mention a less costly location. I feel abused by the tax burden and monthly EZpass expense. I have visited Austin numerous times considering a future relocation. I like the culture, politeness, pace, size, feeling of young creative energy, artistic expression, vibe, architecture/materials used in the buildings (all of which stimulates my artistic interests and appreciation), food (innovative, varied.... even good Italian food and pizza is available....important!), music, ease of movement by car and more. It seems like my speed and that there is enough going on to keep a New Yorker interested.

I enjoyed trips to the hill country, wineries, watering holes, rivers, lakes and hiking. I love the big sky and feeling of openness indicative of the southwest. I'm an active person and enjoy cycling and a variety of sports. My husband is interested in cycling and dreams of getting a motorcycle if we move there. We are worried about the dangers here on a motorcycle so he hasn't bought one. It appears to have a good quality of life and standard of living that is harder to obtain in the NYC metro area. Unfortunately, teachers do not get paid very well there but I'm aware the the cost of living is probably about 20% less that Staten Island. Real estate taxes are lower here and might make up for your lack of a state tax because I see that property taxes can be high in numerous areas. We pay about $4,500 on a house valued at almost $500K that is very generous in size with a large property and garage (Staten Island is more like the suburbs rather than the inner city) in an integrated area.

I'd like to hear from the New Yorkers who have relocated to Austin. What has been your experience? If you work in the public school system now, please share your experience there too. I would very much appreciate your feedback. It's a big decision.
So I am assuming from your post you would not be moving here to retire, but want to continue working? Honestly, there's no shortage of teachers here with major universities cranking new grads out and an over abundance of young college grads moving here in record numbers. So there's significant competition for those jobs --- and that competition is willing to work for a whole lot less than those with many years of experience. Many industries here are feeling this punch --- depressed salaries versus rapidly escalating cost of living. I would not consider moving without a firm offer in hand unless your husband has a position he can bring with him/job offer of his own and it's one you can live on comfortably. Austin is a town with a youth culture and that can significantly affect those outside that demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin