Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 01:06 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times

Advertisements

So. "How do you deal with traffic" was the question, right?

From someone who drives 45-60,000 miles per year all over Texas and other states, here's a quick primer.

1. Sirius/XM subscription. When the going gets tough, the tough head to the comedy stations.

2. Realize that YOU are not that important, not are you more important than the person in front of you. Hang back, relax. You ain't getting there any faster sweetheart.

3. Think of it like plane travel. No sense pushing to the front of the line, everyone lands at the same time (hopefully).

4. Find something to do. My Spanish has improved dramatically, dabbled in Russian for a bit.

5. When in doubt, chicken out. Go get a soda, a bottle of water, whatever. Stop at an empty park or turnout for 15 minutes and mock the sheep in the gridlock like you're better than them, even though you're not. It'll still make you feel better.

6. Get closer to family. Not on Facebook - real conversations. A couple years ago, I started calling random relatives out of the blue, now my entire family has begun talking. We even have a reunion planned. Given our history , this has been worth every awkward opening conversation.

7. Relax. That episode of "Suits" wasn't that important, and you're the moron that made this move. You chose where you lived, and where you worked.

So, 14 years doing this, somewhere north of half a million miles with no accidents. Anyone else have actual traffic tips that do good, rather than just bitching about choices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 01:35 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Beautifully written. Especially #6, I never would have thought of that.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:46 PM

440 posts, read 714,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
When it's 5 miles from downtown within the urban core.
I don't think that you are going to pack all jobs and all residents into a 5 mile radius of downtown. AMD is a major employer and some of its employees likely live in the urban core. At any rate, the idea that only a certain area should be considered for rail is *exactly* why this proposition will and should fail at the polls.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:15 AM

110 posts, read 241,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
So. "How do you deal with traffic" was the question, right?

From someone who drives 45-60,000 miles per year all over Texas and other states, here's a quick primer.

1. Sirius/XM subscription. When the going gets tough, the tough head to the comedy stations.

2. Realize that YOU are not that important, not are you more important than the person in front of you. Hang back, relax. You ain't getting there any faster sweetheart.

3. Think of it like plane travel. No sense pushing to the front of the line, everyone lands at the same time (hopefully).

4. Find something to do. My Spanish has improved dramatically, dabbled in Russian for a bit.

5. When in doubt, chicken out. Go get a soda, a bottle of water, whatever. Stop at an empty park or turnout for 15 minutes and mock the sheep in the gridlock like you're better than them, even though you're not. It'll still make you feel better.

6. Get closer to family. Not on Facebook - real conversations. A couple years ago, I started calling random relatives out of the blue, now my entire family has begun talking. We even have a reunion planned. Given our history , this has been worth every awkward opening conversation.

7. Relax. That episode of "Suits" wasn't that important, and you're the moron that made this move. You chose where you lived, and where you worked.

So, 14 years doing this, somewhere north of half a million miles with no accidents. Anyone else have actual traffic tips that do good, rather than just bitching about choices?
Bravo.

Bluetooth audio + podcasts are also a great way to learn a few things while you're just sitting there. The TuneIn app is a lifesaver.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:57 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Audio books for the win!! Also I have had some great conversations with my kids while driving.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:38 AM

115 posts, read 160,655 times
Default this is what I do

My wife and I work from home....so we don't have to fight the rush traffic. If we want to get motivated, just drive around 5 pm, and then we come back hoe to work harder in our home businesses...

G

Old 09-15-2014, 11:44 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
I don't think that you are going to pack all jobs and all residents into a 5 mile radius of downtown. AMD is a major employer and some of its employees likely live in the urban core. At any rate, the idea that only a certain area should be considered for rail is *exactly* why this proposition will and should fail at the polls.
That's basic, fundamental transportation design. _Urban_ rail should be placed there, in the urban core. Commuter rail can stretch out further.

If a bunch of AMD employees live downtown, then run a shuttle bus from downtown to AMD in the morning. It'll be contra-flow so it doesn't need exclusive lanes.

Are you seriously claiming that frequent service, exclusive running urban rail should run to literally _every_ employer in the entirety of the metro? At a cost of probably 10s of billions?

Old 09-16-2014, 03:02 AM

440 posts, read 714,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
That's basic, fundamental transportation design. _Urban_ rail should be placed there, in the urban core. Commuter rail can stretch out further.

If a bunch of AMD employees live downtown, then run a shuttle bus from downtown to AMD in the morning. It'll be contra-flow so it doesn't need exclusive lanes.

Are you seriously claiming that frequent service, exclusive running urban rail should run to literally _every_ employer in the entirety of the metro? At a cost of probably 10s of billions?
I said "rail." If you want to use Toronto as an example, commuter rail (GO) runs to the suburbs. The subway system there replaces "urban rail" if you mean < 5 mile radius of Bloor and Yonge.

If commuters are expected to help fund "urban rail" but they don't have connectivity to it, they will stop wanting to fund it. We're in the interesting position due to sprawl where in more compact cities, the commuters would not be voting and paying for bonds on "urban rail" whereas many Austinites will choose whether or not to okay bonds for something they can't really use.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:56 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
I said "rail." If you want to use Toronto as an example, commuter rail (GO) runs to the suburbs. The subway system there replaces "urban rail" if you mean < 5 mile radius of Bloor and Yonge.
If AMD wants to move themselves to a site alongside existing freight rail (the only place we run commuter rail), then sure, I imagine they'd eventually be served.

BTW, we are talking about the SW Parkway site of AMD, right (10 mile from downtown)? As the Ben White site is within bike range of the proposed grove rail station.

Last edited by Novacek; 09-16-2014 at 07:09 AM..

Old 09-16-2014, 04:42 PM

150 posts, read 173,724 times
Traffic will never improve, because the attitude of Texans, and all Americans, to be fair, is that "growth" is good in and of itself, regardless of the effects. So it will get worse and worse until we exhaust whatever is left of the planet's finite supply of oil, and then it will get better because nobody will be able to get anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin