Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:44 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,071 times

Advertisements

Complete crap. Austin has been way hotter than Houston this whole summer. Check the data. There wasn't even one day this whole summer where Houston hit more than 100. Even with the heat index which includes humidity austin was hotter this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 11:46 PM

440 posts, read 714,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Complete crap. Austin has been way hotter than Houston this whole summer. Check the data. There wasn't even one day this whole summer where Houston hit more than 100. Even with the heat index which includes humidity austin was hotter this summer.
That's because Houston got a lot more cloud and rain this year.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:24 AM

737 posts, read 1,582,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
This.

Once the air temp gets to 90 degrees or above...hot is hot. Whether it's in Houston, Austin or Denver.

The humidity differences matter more in milder weather. 70 degrees with high humidity feels icky. 70 degrees in drier air feels great.

You could not be more wrong. Humidity makes a MAJOR difference. The same temp here and Houston with a higher percentage of humidity in Houston, makes Houston impossible to be outside in, where it is tolerable here.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:10 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Um, yesterday Houston had a much hotter index than Austin.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:15 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
This.

Once the air temp gets to 90 degrees or above...hot is hot. Whether it's in Houston, Austin or Denver.

The humidity differences matter more in milder weather. 70 degrees with high humidity feels icky. 70 degrees in drier air feels great.
It's all relative. To me 70 degrees with humidity feels better than 70 degrees dry because when it's 70 degrees usually the dewpoint is absurdly low like 30 or something which means dry skin, etc.... There are many people with this same preference.

Once you get above 80, then dry feels much better.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:30 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
Quote:
This.

I disagree with this; I think humidity matters at ALL temps. 90 degrees here is A LOT different than 90 degrees in Denver, having lived there for a very long time.

My point was that while, yes, the temps here have been generally lower this summer, I've felt more humidity which I don't care for. And I'm sure it's humid in Houston too. A week or two ago, it was only 92 degrees and it felt like 101 because of the humidity, it was steamy and uncomfortable. I'd rather have it hotter with less humidity.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:14 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I was checking the humidex in Austin and Katy (suburb of Houston) today 9/11. Temp was 95 with 99 humidex in Austin, 95 with 118 humidex in Katy. I think this disproves all the naysayers who say "there isn't much difference in humidity between Houston and Austin." 19 degrees is quite a difference. Think about the difference between 70 and 89 degrees, 19 degrees is a big difference in "feels like" temperature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Um, yesterday Houston had a much hotter index than Austin.
Uh, you can't just look at one day.

Facts are, their humidity is average slightly higher, but our temps slightly higher. So the overall average heat index comes out virtually the same. There have been multiple threads on this both in the Austin forum and Texas, not sure why we need another.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:18 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
I really don't know why certain posters are so adamant about their city being so much different and immune to the same imperfections and discomfort as another place. Like many on here have said, one has slightly higher humidity, the other has slightly higher temperature. At the end of the day, it all balances out that Texas is HOT and for one to brag, "Well my spot in the oven is better than yours!" seems a little petty and lame.

Forgive me OP, but these type of threads do nothing but illustrate the typical austinitude and superiority complex.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:20 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
The big difference between Houston and Austin is cloudiness. In the winter, Houston is overcast 60% of the time, while Austin is only overcast about 30% of the time. Houston is twice as dreary and much rainier, that's why winter there is so depressing. As if the concrete sprawl and urban decay weren't enough.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:38 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
The big difference between Houston and Austin is cloudiness. In the winter, Houston is overcast 60% of the time, while Austin is only overcast about 30% of the time. Houston is twice as dreary and much rainier, that's why winter there is so depressing. As if the concrete sprawl and urban decay weren't enough.
I live in Houston and have not seen an overcast in the winter 60%. I'm not going to sit and say that there aren't rainy days during the winter, but there are plenty enough times where I see enough sunshine, even on a pretty chilly day.

As far as our concrete sprawl, you are aware your quaint little town of Austin began following in that direction a long time ago right?

Austinitude at its best. Thanks for your illustration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin