Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

Go to New Orleans. Louisiana has now surpassed CA, NY, and every other state for filming.

Louisiana outpaces Los Angeles, New York and all others in 2013 film production, study shows | NOLA.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 11:07 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
If the OP could not afford to live in Austin in 2009 he would find it even more expensive now. So many people have been moving here and construction was almost nill durring the recession, resulting in a housing and apartment shortage. Rents have gone way up.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:21 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
I have a Mass Comm. degree (advertising) and found it pretty easy to find jobs in marketing when I graduated. Granted, that was a long time ago. It may not be your dream job, but look into finding a job doing media sales. It sucks, but it gets your foot in the door. Also, if you the time, look into volunteering at your local public broadcast outlets. It's a great way to make contacts.

Almost no one I know that has a RTF degree is working in that field. It's just not a field that has a huge number of jobs. And many of the jobs that are required can be filled with interns willing to work for nothing.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:28 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Hey OP, my suggestion. Try NYC or LA for RTF. NYC is probably THE place for a kid to break into the film world, but the downside is that NYC isn't cheap. I'm an NYU/Tisch School of the Arts dropout, but many of the folks that I know from there have found jobs in their field. Unfortunately, I make more money than them.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:27 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
You should probably move to California

Old 09-23-2014, 02:59 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
So I graduate from UT Austin class of 2009 with a Bachelor's in Radio/Televison/Film. Upon graduating I found some unsteady part time work but nothing ever manifested from it. I tried looking for a job for about a year after that, still nothing. I'm in Dallas but I'm thinking about giving Austin another shot. It's been five years since I graduated and my resume is somewhat decent now. What do you guys think?
2009 was a tough year for most graduates. Your degree choice didn't help. But even those with finance degrees, which 4 years earlier seemed the gold standard of degrees, found a completely different landscape in 2009.

Now it's your resume that matters, and your networking skills, not your degree.

I've still never reconciled that friends of mine who are employers constantly gripe about the lousy candidate pool, while supposedly good candidates gripe that there are not enough good job opportunities.

Steve

Old 09-23-2014, 03:34 PM

238 posts, read 420,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
So I graduate from UT Austin class of 2009 with a Bachelor's in Radio/Televison/Film. Upon graduating I found some unsteady part time work but nothing ever manifested from it. I tried looking for a job for about a year after that, still nothing. I'm in Dallas but I'm thinking about giving Austin another shot. It's been five years since I graduated and my resume is somewhat decent now. What do you guys think?
I found your problem. A degree like this is worth almost nothing if you don't know anybody in the business to get you a job.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:37 PM

647 posts, read 1,522,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hey OP, my suggestion. Try NYC or LA for RTF. NYC is probably THE place for a kid to break into the film world, but the downside is that NYC isn't cheap. I'm an NYU/Tisch School of the Arts dropout, but many of the folks that I know from there have found jobs in their field. Unfortunately, I make more money than them.
I lived in NYC for three years, very little luck.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:45 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I've still never reconciled that friends of mine who are employers constantly gripe about the lousy candidate pool, while supposedly good candidates gripe that there are not enough good job opportunities.

Steve
Steve, what employers do you know who are looking for good candidates? My son is looking for a job, and I am wondering about what fields in Austin are actually looking for people.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:52 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
That's the issue with Austin. Great place to live, if you can find a job that supports you. I would guess you need to work your way up through smaller markets on the TV side though. Look in the Valley, Beaumont, Tyler, Corpus, etc. to try and get a start. Those I know in the industry have moved around a fair amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin