Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:49 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times

Advertisements

I wish some people actually paid attention to that ordinance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 02:54 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
Well unfortunately it's not many trees that are required to be saved.

Like say at a heb parking lot you see the trees that are fenced off or part of the lot.. those were saved by that ordinance.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:46 PM

106 posts, read 391,656 times
i posted some whiny things about austin on this thread a few months ago (don't care ot go through each page to see where)...and i'd like to change my opinion, for those thinking about moving here. i think a lot of my negative ideas came from missing my family, friends, and the way i was used to living.

this is a great city to live in...not as happening as new york or los angeles (but where is?) but also MUCH safer. i've taken much advice from this forum and have gotten accustomed to austin and feel great calling it my home. i still think i'll leave after my lease is up, to be in a bigger city, but i'd absolutely come back to settle down. this town, it's people, and most importantly to me, the weather...is amazing!

may have been a bit off topic for the current discussion, but i definitely wanted to clarify that moving takes adjustments and this town is wonderful!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:08 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramones85 View Post
i posted some whiny things about austin on this thread a few months ago (don't care ot go through each page to see where)...and i'd like to change my opinion, for those thinking about moving here. i think a lot of my negative ideas came from missing my family, friends, and the way i was used to living.

this is a great city to live in...not as happening as new york or los angeles (but where is?) but also MUCH safer. i've taken much advice from this forum and have gotten accustomed to austin and feel great calling it my home. i still think i'll leave after my lease is up, to be in a bigger city, but i'd absolutely come back to settle down. this town, it's people, and most importantly to me, the weather...is amazing!

may have been a bit off topic for the current discussion, but i definitely wanted to clarify that moving takes adjustments and this town is wonderful!
Thanks for posting that. It helps me to know this as I am going to be visiting Austin soon to look at property/job possibilities and want to keep an open mind. I don't want to let missing friends or comparisions to my old place keep me from enjoying what Austin has to offer.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 13,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexy View Post
Has anyone been in NYC last summer? When it's 100 degrees outside with 90% humidity and you have to ride subway home?! It feels like 110 degrees minimum on the platform.
My wife and I are thinking about moving to Austin after three years of living in NYC. We are fed up with the summer heat, crowded subways and traffic jams. Therefore, we would like to know what is the humidity during summer in Austin? What about traffic ?
Dude, you can't even begin to understand heat until you've lived through a few weeks of 100+ degree weather without a shade tree in sight.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:38 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
The heat in the subway would be similar to the heat in August anywhere in Texas. I know because I thought I was back in Texas the last time I was in NY and my friend took me on the subway and it was summertime.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:06 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
The heat in the subway would be similar to the heat in August anywhere in Texas. I know because I thought I was back in Texas the last time I was in NY and my friend took me on the subway and it was summertime.
True, but man can those subways reek when it gets hot...putrid. I love NYC with a burning passion, but sometimes it can be insufferable. A few years back I was in NYC during one of those miserable, muggy stretches where everything about the air tells you it wants to rain...but it just won't Anyway, there was this poor cop on the subway in his starched, black uniform, hot hat, with all of his "accessories" weighing him down, sweating liberally, with a look on his face that said "please give me a reason to snap".

Suffice to say, I didn't stare too long.

Ramones85, good to hear you're starting to enjoy Austin. It's got some really nice layers to it. The weather has really been sublime. If you're feeling NY though, go while that window is open! It might shut on you when you aren't looking!

Old 12-08-2007, 02:42 PM

22 posts, read 58,205 times
Default Couple of issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ2483 View Post
-Sixth street is drunken college kids.....I guess that is cool if your that age!
Given that UT is obviously in Austin, is the city just a big "college town?" I'm a 24 year old young professional living in Des Moines, IA, work full time and go to college at night and will be graduating this May, looking to move to Austin this summer, which by then will be 25. I'm single, straight male, so the social culture and nightlife of Austin is something that is really attractive to me.

However, when I go to visit Iowa City, where the U of I is located, the drunk 19 year olds are very obnoxious. I also feel way too old to be there at times. Don't get me wrong, I love to go out and most times than not get pretty boozed up myself, but is 6th street similar? Are there any other social/nightlife districts in the city? I understand that Austin is much larger than Iowa City, and hoping that will bring a mix of more young professionals.

Another issue that I came across in this thread that also kind of hit home, was the mention of discrimination recieved because the person was assumed Hispanic. My father is originally from Athens, Greece and my mother is white, from southern Iowa, however I look a lot like my dad. I have been mistaken as Hispanic in the past, but never felt any actual discrimination here in Iowa, was curious how big or if any of an issue this would be in Austin, or in the south for that matter. Also considering a move to Phoenix.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:43 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsid23 View Post
Given that UT is obviously in Austin, is the city just a big "college town?" I'm a 24 year old young professional living in Des Moines, IA, work full time and go to college at night and will be graduating this May, looking to move to Austin this summer, which by then will be 25. I'm single, straight male, so the social culture and nightlife of Austin is something that is really attractive to me.

However, when I go to visit Iowa City, where the U of I is located, the drunk 19 year olds are very obnoxious. I also feel way too old to be there at times. Don't get me wrong, I love to go out and most times than not get pretty boozed up myself, but is 6th street similar? Are there any other social/nightlife districts in the city? I understand that Austin is much larger than Iowa City, and hoping that will bring a mix of more young professionals.

Another issue that I came across in this thread that also kind of hit home, was the mention of discrimination recieved because the person was assumed Hispanic. My father is originally from Athens, Greece and my mother is white, from southern Iowa, however I look a lot like my dad. I have been mistaken as Hispanic in the past, but never felt any actual discrimination here in Iowa, was curious how big or if any of an issue this would be in Austin, or in the south for that matter. Also considering a move to Phoenix.
First off, there are many other places to hang out in Austin besides 6th street. People who tell you otherwise either don't like to go out to bars, music clubs, restaurants, etc... or they're just being lazy and aping what others have said. I'm in my late 30s, find 19 yr old college kids supremely annoying and I find all kinds of cool things to do here. Tonight my wife and I are going to an art opening, last night we went out to dinner with some friends in NW Austin, two weeks ago we went to an experimental electronic music show in an old chapel and met some really interesting people....my point is that there's all kinds of things to do here other than 6th st. Think of 6th street as Austin's Time's Square, or San Francisco's Fisherman's Warf(maybe not that bad), or New Orleans Bourbon St., or Nashville's Broadway. Lots of college kids, touristy stuff, and second tier restaurants. It's funny but I wouldn't have hung out much there when I was 19....Just my opinion.

Check out the South Congress and S. 1st Areas, West 6th, W. 4th, East Austin, N. and S. Lamar. That's a start.

Secondly, I wouldn't worry about being discriminated against because of being Greek. I'm a pretty swarthy-looking guy myself - Italian, but many folks think I'm Lebanese. I really wouldn't even give that a thought. Especially in Central Austin. No one will even care.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:53 PM

22 posts, read 58,205 times
Awesome, that sounds great, just the response I was hoping for, for both my questions!

And to further the fact I wish I was packing up and moving today.... you're going to an art opening tonight, and I'm stuck inside due to an ice storm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin