Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 06:37 PM

9 posts, read 39,428 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved here to Austin last March so we did experience the summer heat and I have to say... it could be a lot worse =] We lived in Houston all our lives and summers there are extremely hot and humid. Anyway, just wanted to share that we really like Austin so far, and we just keep falling in love with the city more and more each day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 08:09 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I honestly started thinking of places to move about mid-August (the hottest one ever recorded here).
I've spent the last 2 summers in places like Seattle, the Bay Area, and Vermont. Coming back to Austin mid-September was a mistake in 2005 (heat shock!) so I waited longer this year. The heat is even worse if you haven't been experiencing it on a regular basis, cuz your body isn't used to it. And my body is changing anyway, I get heat exhaustion very easily now whereas I used to do heavy yard work in the sun during summer when I was in my 30s. *sigh* --- getting old sucks.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:43 AM

25 posts, read 70,496 times
Has anyone been in NYC last summer? When it's 100 degrees outside with 90% humidity and you have to ride subway home?! It feels like 110 degrees minimum on the platform.
My wife and I are thinking about moving to Austin after three years of living in NYC. We are fed up with the summer heat, crowded subways and traffic jams. Therefore, we would like to know what is the humidity during summer in Austin? What about traffic ?

Old 11-11-2006, 10:51 AM

979 posts, read 2,955,306 times
Dexy, Austin isn't really a city to move to in order to escape heat and humidity. We also have our own traffic problems here, but they aren't in the same league as what you deal with in New York so maybe you would find our traffic issues acceptable.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:04 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexy View Post
Has anyone been in NYC last summer? When it's 100 degrees outside with 90% humidity and you have to ride subway home?! It feels like 110 degrees minimum on the platform.
My wife and I are thinking about moving to Austin after three years of living in NYC. We are fed up with the summer heat, crowded subways and traffic jams. Therefore, we would like to know what is the humidity during summer in Austin? What about traffic ?
Having been born and raised in Chicago, whose weather is a LOT like NYC in terms of humidity, heat, etc in the summer - Austin is very comparable IMO.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
Dexy, Austin isn't really a city to move to in order to escape heat and humidity.
ROFLMAO!!!

You speak the truth. I've never heard anyone say "I'm sick of heat and humidity, I think I'll move to Texas."

No offense to Dexy!!! It's just funny in a generic way. Why not move north instead of south? But if you don't like the winters either, then you're kinda stuck with heading far west and paying the price for a beautiful mild climate. You sure won't find "mild" in Texas!

Old 11-11-2006, 04:19 PM

25 posts, read 70,496 times
Thank you all for the answers.
We are still considering pros and cons, but Austin is the first city on our list as the best place to move to.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:41 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexy View Post
Austin isn't close to as humid as NYC. We get humid weather, but you can escape the heat most of the time. Even just standing in the shade is a lot cooler than direct sun. I'd say that we average around 35% humidity (sometimes more, sometimes less) during the summer here. It's almost a "dry heat".

Old 11-14-2006, 08:47 AM

26 posts, read 274,488 times
Default Yes, it's where it's at

What I love most about Austin: that people love it. The "team spirit" here is contagious - it's perfectly lovely to live somewhere where people are passionate about the place. I had never lived somewhere like that (I lived in cynical DC for ten years and grew up in the Bay Area of California, where there isn't really a unified feeling). The Austin pride is contagious, and people really do "very Austin" things.

Of course it's not for everyone, but I think it's pretty great.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslatch View Post

What I love most about Austin: that people love it.
Travel and Leisure Magazine named Austin #2 on a list of cities for "good looking, friendly people who are proud of their city." For whatever that's worth.

I agree, though, the spirit of group-love is really nice instead of living in a place where people always complain and talk about leaving. It creates a positive vibe that helps keep your mood happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin