Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 03:09 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Ha! Okay, I've had my coffee now, but that may be counterbalanced by two glasses of champagne at brunch. I thought the 39% was Texas overall? It's very hard for me to believe that 39% of 78701 residents are reporting $74k in capital gains when the average salary there is only $74,089. That just not enough wealth to be reporting $74k in capital gains. I'm fully willing to admit I'm wrong (it happens) but I'd like to see more numbers on this. Something just doesn't seem right with that.

Ahh, but the average AGI is right at $125K. What it looks like to me is 39% of the population has enough wealth (different than salary) to fund that expensive lifestyle from investments - an income just about equal to the average salary.

Which reinforces the idea that 01 is chock full of trust funders and retiree boomers. At least that's my read of the tea leaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 03:46 PM

615 posts, read 780,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Which reinforces the idea that 01 is chock full of trust funders and retiree boomers. At least that's my read of the tea leaves.
Yeah, that would certainly explain it… hadn't thought of it.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:52 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
And yet, people pay many many multiples what they would to live downtown and not in the the sprawlburbs. That should tell you something.
who cares?

Old 10-05-2014, 06:56 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Ha! Okay, I've had my coffee now, but that may be counterbalanced by two glasses of champagne at brunch. I thought the 39% was Texas overall? It's very hard for me to believe that 39% of 78701 residents are reporting $74k in capital gains when the average salary there is only $74,089. That just not enough wealth to be reporting $74k in capital gains. I'm fully willing to admit I'm wrong (it happens) but I'd like to see more numbers on this. Something just doesn't seem right with that.
Many people mistake income for wealth. They are two entirely different things.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:57 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
who cares?
Well his point is there is high demand for DT residences despite people like you who see no value in them. Right now there is a shortage of new DT units and prices are increasing, and they have been increasing at a faster rate than many, if not most, outlying bedroom communities.

BTW there are plenty of grocery stores and movie theaters downtown, you just might not recognize them however since they aren't HEBs and multiplexes.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:16 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
who cares?
Obviously people value it highly. They pay a huge premium to be their. Or to put it another way, to live in Pflugerville or some other sprawlburb requires a deep discount to get them there.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:31 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Obviously people value it highly. They pay a huge premium to be their. Or to put it another way, to live in Pflugerville or some other sprawlburb requires a deep discount to get them there.
Quote:
Austin's central real estate is expensive because of our regulatory regime and nothing else. There is plenty of infill that can be done. It's a high demand, low supply issue - full stop. Add more supply, price will come down.
Even you recognize it is as much about regulatory constraints onsupply as it is demand. Pflugerville has as almost limitless supply, which has much to do with the price differential - regardless of your snarky put-down.

Stop acting otherwise.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:41 PM

404 posts, read 712,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Dude. That's not irony. That's life.

In fact, all of your b***hing is just "life". I'm a second-generation musician, the hot spots are always harder to crack than the weak towns outside - and loading gear is part of being in a band. That's what roadies and groupies are for.
roadies? groupies? what are you like.. in Aerosmith?

Every working musician would take a look at what you wrote and LOL

why don't you tell us all about your amazing success as a musician in Austin?

Also, San Marcos is like..
San Marcos fastest-growing U.S. city

so, you know. even more lolz for u to call it a "weak town".

Get away from the house much? the power off button is right there... use it!

Old 10-06-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Well his point is there is high demand for DT residences despite people like you who see no value in them. Right now there is a shortage of new DT units and prices are increasing, and they have been increasing at a faster rate than many, if not most, outlying bedroom communities.

BTW there are plenty of grocery stores and movie theaters downtown, you just might not recognize them however since they aren't HEBs and multiplexes.
And my point was and still is..who cares? Why should I care? I wasn't responding to him anyway. I was answering another post. And I know about much of downtown, more than you think I do. But thanks for the attempt at snark with your heb and multiplex comment, because I wasn't comparing downtown austin to the suburbs, I was comparing it to my old neighborhood in manhattan. If I'm gonna do the downtown thing, I'd do it right. Btw, there are not plenty of movie theaters at all. Please list "plenty". As for grocery stores, there's a royal blue or two, a cvs that doubles up as a grocery store, and the whole paycheck. That's your plenty of grocery stores. Really..

Old 10-06-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
They can continue to pay a huge premium to be "their". Again, who cares? People value many different things and the growth rate everywhere is rising with no discounts needed. Don't you have any better retorts than your tired anti suburb nonsense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin