Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:23 PM

26 posts, read 33,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I really do think cyclists are being made the scapegoat for motorists frustration with congestion, more than any actual concern for their own safety or that of the cyclists.
I cannot speak for city center, but only for North-Austin neighborhoods. Driving to drop off the kids every day at school and then on to work, I cannot tell what each person on a bicycle is going to do next. I look at every person on a bicycle and try to figure out if they are going straight after stopping, turning, blowing through the stop sign\light altogether, making u-turns between cars, etc. I have no idea. And with Austin's population density increasing, this is only going to get worse.

But I do agree with your statement about frustration with traffic. Way back when in the early 90's and I was driving to high-school in San Antonio on Broadway (feeling old again), I knew that if I kept my speed close to 35, I would hit every green light. There was no incentive to speed. Granted, that was only one road and I don't know downtown Austin traffic patterns, but I haven't found a road in north Austin where I feel the lights are timed that well. I have to go 20 between lights A&B then 50 between lights C&D or I will hit EVERY SINGLE RED LIGHT. So, sure, this leads to driver frustration.

Do I know exactly what needs to be done about it? no. Do I know that something needs to be done or the situation will deteriorate? yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 09:02 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Those 'loud pipes save lives' stickers on Harleys are not directed at cyclists I can assure you, but rather the thousands of cars and trucks who sometimes can't be bothered looking before they change lanes.
You do realize the laws of physics have thoroughly debunked that canard, right? For a very simple reason - unmuffled engine noise is pointed behind bikes, while hazards - including the lane changers you paint with an exceedingly broad brush - are almost always to the front. All that pithy falsehood is, is an attempt to pseudo rationalize selfish behavior.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:22 PM

123 posts, read 199,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
You must be joking. You haven't seen over the top lawbreaking "crap", using your phrase. You weren't riding in the Shoal Creek corridor, obviously.
Ha Ha! I rode almost exclusively in the Shoal Creek Corridor. Down from Anderson Lane and Shoal Creek to the Town Lake Trail via Exposition, Enfield and Lake Austin Blvd. Awesome, scenic ride.

Once you got to Town Lake you could veer over to downtown on the Lance Armstrong trail (ha ha do they still call it that?) or keep on the trail to the east side. The best cycling experience I have ever had. I hardly ever drove my car on the weekends. Never did someone as much as honk at me.

I would never ride the streets of Houston. Austin is a fantastic bike riding city. Don't let the haters on here fool you.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:33 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
You do realize the laws of physics have thoroughly debunked that canard, right? For a very simple reason - unmuffled engine noise is pointed behind bikes, while hazards - including the lane changers you paint with an exceedingly broad brush - are almost always to the front. All that pithy falsehood is, is an attempt to pseudo rationalize selfish behavior.
Even if it is not effective that is not the point. Motorcyclists feel they have to do something extraordinary - in this case make a lot of noise - for motorist to figure out they are there.

And of course sound travels very fast - more than 10 times faster than traffic - and does reflect so it does arrive at its intended target, just not as quickly as some would like to believe.

I could have used loud pipes or maybe a siren yesterday. I was biking south on San Jancinto approaching 11th in the bike lane when a honda civic decided to make a right turn. Of course she never looked before changing lanes and got some of my handlebar in her fender. Maybe that dent will make her - she said she way sorry - more cognizant next time.

Last edited by verybadgnome; 10-18-2014 at 07:44 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 08:12 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Even if it is not effective that is not the point. Motorcyclists feel they have to do something extraordinary - in this case make a lot of noise - for motorist to figure out they are there.
Again, the "lot of noise" isn't heard by drivers in a position to affect a motorcyclist. Maybe it is all about the desire for "loud pipes", and the "save lives" is just a sales job?

At the end of the day, "the point" is purely an attempt to rationalize selfish behavior. Kinda like not fully stopping at red lights?

Old 10-18-2014, 09:16 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,758 times
Quote:

I could have used loud pipes or maybe a siren yesterday. I was biking south on San Jancinto approaching 11th in the bike lane when a honda civic decided to make a right turn. Of course she never looked before changing lanes and got some of my handlebar in her fender. Maybe that dent will make her - she said she way sorry - more cognizant next time.
Not sure exactly what you are describing, but bicyclists running up bike lanes while drivers are making right turns is a big reason why its important for cars to block the bike lane before making the turn.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:03 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Cyclists, I bring your attention to the very first entry in this "Texas Bicycle Laws" from BikeTexas.org. Your own people are telling you you have to stop at stop signs and stop lights.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Not sure exactly what you are describing, but bicyclists running up bike lanes while drivers are making right turns is a big reason why its important for cars to block the bike lane before making the turn.
Here ya go, here's how it should be done. (Found lots of these, but this one was the most clear.)

Old 10-18-2014, 11:31 AM

89 posts, read 120,878 times
In Chicago bicyclists tend to be much more respectful of traffic laws, and I feel that their behavior is due to how aggressively we drive in Chicago; up there it's generally assumed to look for bicyclists before exiting your vehicle on the street and in turn bicyclists tend to slow down to avoid a driver who has put on their turning signal. While I have seen a handful of truly rude and selfish bicyclists up there who would blow trough traffic signals and blatantly block cars from crossing streets with middle fingers extended, at least they were paying attention to their surroundings. From what I've seen so far a significant portion (but NOT all or a majority) of Austin bicyclists seem to be lost in their own world and don't even look around them when they cross against a stop sign or a red light. This behavior in turn seems to be enabled by slow and distracted drivers who don't take initiative and pay attention to their turn in a four-way stop que, etc.

I don't mean to wish harm on anyone but it probably will take a serious bicyclist injury publicized by the local news to get a better "bicycle-car relationship" established in Austin.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:20 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
To take your space in the right turn lane from the middle lane is appropriate, but you have to make sure that to get in this lane - which doubles as a bike lane on San Jacinto - that no one is currently in that space. In other words the motorist has to maneuver in front of or behind the cyclist (looking for a gap) just like they would do for a car, for a properly executed lane change to take place. This isn't rocket science, it is the duty of the vehicle changing lanes to execute the maneuver in a safe fashion, not of the vehicles already in that lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin