Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 03:34 PM

319 posts, read 345,970 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know why AISD doesn't expand the "permanent" capacity of Bowie?

There seems to be plenty of space behind the school (toward the Veloway) where the portables are located. Also space South for more parking, maybe a garage.

Perhaps the constraint is the size of Auditorium/Gym/Dining. I assume this has been explored, but I have never seen it detailed. And maybe AISD just has a "total size" constraint and doesn't realize Bowie might make a good exception to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 03:37 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,274,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
You said I was arguing for Crockett to expand it's boundaries to relieve Bowie by flushing the Southern border to Slaughter. I never argued that.
Obviously, we need a trip down memory lane:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
No one's talking about Circle C being rezoned. The areas that are most likely to get shuffled in rezoning are the ones near the Bowie, Akins, Crocket, and Austin borders.
Don't be so dramatic.
Legend Oaks IS near the "Crocket" border, currently in the Bowie zone. Certainly seems like you were advocating for moving the "Crocket" border, since it is one of two HS in S Austin with capacity - and the only one with space and a contagious border with overcrowded Bowie. Bowie will be 930 over capacity in five years (Akins will be more than 1,000 over). There aren't 930 HS kids in Legend Oaks, so the only way to move kids out of Bowie to open seats in "Crocket" is to "shuffle" near the Bowie/Crockett border and go down to Slaughter.

You may not have spelled that scenario, but by saying "the areas that are most likely to get shuffled in rezoning are the ones near the Bowie, Akins, Crocket, and Austin borders" the only practical effect is taking the area of Circle C N of Slaughter. Nothing else works -- certainly not thinking you can move Bowie kids to Akins, when it will be 1,000 over capacity in five years.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
Does anybody know why AISD doesn't expand the "permanent" capacity of Bowie?
You can thank the voters of Austin.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:46 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,978,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Which does nothing to prevent replacement of the huge, impervious, surface lots at Bowie with structured parking.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:50 PM

532 posts, read 1,391,904 times
Quote:
I am going to do the CD world a favor. I am going to stop participating . . .
Dear God,

Please make this happen and I promise I'll be good.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:53 PM

532 posts, read 1,391,904 times
Quote:
In five years, Bowie will be 930 students over capacity -- 38%. Akins will be 525 (21%), and Austin High will be 220 (10%). Bowie - the school - is currently almost at its eastern attendance zone boundary. The only way to get relief by building to the E is to move the line to the west of the school, putting the school outside its own attendance zone. If you build to the W, you can relieve Akins by moving the line between the two to the east.
Just 6 1/2 hours later. I knew it was too good to be true. Sorry God, the deal is off! Back on ignore.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:13 PM

319 posts, read 345,970 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I've only been here a few years. Your quote just links to Austin.gov website for SOS.

Are you saying that the SOS initiative prevented expanding Bowie? To save a salamander or dinosaur or cockroach?

If true, did AISD try to expand Bowie, and SOS stopped it?

Old 03-12-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
Just 6 1/2 hours later. I knew it was too good to be true. Sorry God, the deal is off! Back on ignore.
It actually was a day and a half. My sincerest apologies. I've learned my lesson.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
Sorry, but I've only been here a few years. Your quote just links to Austin.gov website for SOS.

Are you saying that the SOS initiative prevented expanding Bowie? To save a salamander or dinosaur or cockroach?

If true, did AISD try to expand Bowie, and SOS stopped it?
Bowie is at its impervious cover limits. There is no will on the AISD board to try to seek any relief from SOS. It is all politics. They know the true believers would crucify them for even thinking it.

Sad that a salamander is protected, and the parents of children are told to move if they don't like it.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:46 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,721 times
so the options AISD has:

1. build a HS in SE Austin
2. build a HS in SW Austin on a larger parcel of land that is also more expensive per acre.
3. redraw boundaries
4. build more portables
5. do nothing and let enrollment fall.

I think that #4 and #5 is the most likely scenario because it steps on the fewest toes.

#1 and #2 won't pass in a bond measure

#3 won't happen because of neighborhood associations, and homeowner groups threatening lawsuits over lost property values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin