Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 03:22 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
My comment about property values hit the nail on the head. When the core motive of this subject (money) is exposed to everyone, that's when the tempers flare.
A diabolical fantasy that exists nowhere but in your imagination. Attribute to people you don't know, but hate any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
You mean the election that said "South" high school and said absolutely nothing about "Southwest"?

http://www.traviscountyclerk.org/ecl...lotSchools.pdf

That election?
Yup. Just make a choice and buy the land. Don't care where.

Next question?

Old 04-17-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
This isn't exactly on topic, but when did Shady Hollow become "riff-raff"? It seems like a pretty nice neighborhood to me.

Although I haven't done a ton of research on this issue yet since my oldest is only entering middle school next year and we just got through navigating through the middle school applications and decisions, I am intrigued at the idea of a LASA South at Crockett. I recall reading an article a couple months ago about how a large percentage of LASA kids come from the Bowie attendance border. It seems like creating an academic magnet at an underpopulated school that would potentially draw heavily from the boundaries of an overpopulated school would be a quick way to adjust the school numbers without redrawing boundaries. Of course even with my limited knowledge of this proposal, I realize that this is controversial and the many feel that this will dilute the current LASA.
Spot on. No one I know considers Shady Hollow "riff raff".

The majority of the current LASA enrollment - 56% - come from S Austin HS attendance zones. That's almost 500 kids. The opposition to doing it centers on two things. One, is fear by the remaining LASA parents that pulling the S Austin kids (and ergo resources, including teachers) out will so weaken LASA that it won't be as capable. The excellence of the Anderson IB program has resulted in a situation where Anderson HS kids are fourth after Bowie and Austin High and Mc Callum attendance zone kids. Pull them out, and the resulting population may not be sustainable - or so is the fear.

Second is that putting S Austin LASA kids into the Crockett building does nothing to relieve the current bad (nor projected worse) Bowie and Akins overcrowding. Those are kids aren't in either of those two buildings today - they, and their parents drive literally to the furthest corner of town for school, meetings, after school events, you name it. But to do so dilutes the argument that "we have the seats" to ease S Austin HS overcrowding (which is factually wrong, because even if you take all of the projected Crockett and Travis capacity, it isn't enough to consume all of the Bowie and Akins overcrowding). Put those over 500 kids - now in a N Austin campus - in a LASA South at Crockett, and all you have done - at least in some eyes - is make the overcrowding problem "worse".

But it needs to happen because Austin traffic is making the current situation of S and SW kids going to a NE campus untenable.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:52 PM

319 posts, read 346,027 times
I'm giving this thread four stars.

Lots of good info, little off topic slurs.

Continue.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:28 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times
No new AISD high school will be built in Southwest Austin. Boundaries will only be redrawn if/when AISD builds a new Southeast high school.

------------------------------

Left for San Antonio last Wednesday at 4:20pm from Rollingwood: Mopac to 360, to 71, to IH35 (flyover) and made Buda at 5:39-- a billion cars and 18-wheelers (many were NAFTA truckers). SH 45 SW will be built.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:00 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Yup. Just make a choice and buy the land. Don't care where.

Next question?
You may not care where. But Schneider very obviously does (SW and SW only).

Despite your claiming that he was only trying to follow the election.

Quote:
Could it be nothing more sinister than since Schneider is the only trustee still on the board from the 2008 bond election, that he feels a responsibility to deliver the last promised item from that election -- now, almost six years later?

Old 04-20-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:

But it needs to happen because Austin traffic is making the current situation of S and SW kids going to a NE campus untenable.
What NE campus are S and SW kids going to?

Old 04-20-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
What NE campus are S and SW kids going to?
Maybe if you'd actually read the entire post, instead of rushing to have an argument, you could have answered you own question:

Quote:
The majority of the current LASA enrollment - 56% - come from S Austin HS attendance zones. That's almost 500 kids.

You're welcome.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Maybe if you'd actually read the entire post, instead of rushing to have an argument, you could have answered you own question:

You're welcome.
You mean the school that families _choose_ to send their kids to?

Old 04-20-2015, 08:05 AM

390 posts, read 670,957 times
Quote:
You mean the school that families _choose_ to send their kids to?
I guess that is one way to look at it, but as a parent of AISD students I see it as an excellent educational opportunity for a small number of kids who are qualified and accepted into this prestigious program. If my child was fortunate enough to be accepted into LASA, I would want them to have the opportunity, but it would be a huge burden with over 2 hours a day of commuting time from SW Austin.

The magnet programs were one of the reasons that we chose to live within the AISD boundaries. I think that it is a shame that LASA isn't more centrally located like Kealing, Fulmore, and Ann Richards or that they don't have a north and south campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin