Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 07:30 AM

126 posts, read 150,862 times

Advertisements

Or as i suggested to some felon looking for a place to stay in another thread, buy an RV and rent some space.

You have to liquid to buy something. There may be hook ups closer to austin but if your willing to drive and hour each way its 275 a month here in marble falls RV Lot for Rent in Marble Falls, TX: (ID:121216) .

you could also buy cheap land somewhere and park it there. its a texan thing to do.

go offgrid, go solar, wind etc.. or you can spend the money for electric/water hook ups if avaliable.

Last edited by bossh0g; 11-15-2014 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 07:33 AM

this hook up is 5 minutes from austin but costs 590 a month Austin Texas RV Parks - Austin Lone Star - Carefree RV

Old 11-15-2014, 07:38 AM

there are others around but youll have to call for monthly prices, im only seeing prices for daily in austin and surrounding areas. i remember there was one down the street from abia headed west down ben white. before dennys

anyway cheers

Old 11-15-2014, 07:54 AM

the other option. buy some cheap land and build a tiny home or alternative home (shipping container, earthship, bags, cordword, beer bottles etc).

k... enough of my input.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:20 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
I own a house in round rock that is 10 years old.

2 years ago I paid 121k.

Payment comes to $1035 with taxes and insurance rolled in.

House across the street sold for 154k and looks to be in poor condition.

I say buy a house, your payment will be the same, while rental units are going crazy.

If you eliminate PMI, it will be around $100 less per month.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
I own a house in round rock that is 10 years old.

2 years ago I paid 121k.

Payment comes to $1035 with taxes and insurance rolled in.

House across the street sold for 154k and looks to be in poor condition.

I say buy a house, your payment will be the same, while rental units are going crazy.

If you eliminate PMI, it will be around $100 less per month.
He's 56 and wants to retire in 10 years though.

If he bought some cheap land in leander/lago vista or elsewhere and built a cheap alternative style home or lived in an rv, how much could he save in 10 years as opposed to having a mortgage?

What if he also cut costs with alternative energy solutions and grew x amount of food himself in his spare time?

Seems he would probably be better off financially in 10 years living this way. He may be better offer emotionally, physically and spiritually as well.

Its a lifestyle choice for sure and it's not for everyone.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:41 AM

Plus, he said he lives fairly frugal. By making a lifestyle change, he could buy the same house in Round Rock with cash in ten years and have a hundreds of thousands left over - depending on how frugal he really is.

Last edited by bossh0g; 11-15-2014 at 08:51 AM..

Old 11-15-2014, 09:13 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times
Do you have to be right in Austin? You can actually find some great deals on a "small house" SOUTH of the city right off 35, be within reasonable commuting distance. If I were in your shoes, I would rent for a year, get a feel for the area, save a little more, and figure out what area suits you best, and then look to buy. If you plan to work for at least 10 more years, you will have a decent amount paid off of a 15 year mortgage, and based on the way it's going in Austin lately, some equity. I don't see how renting for 10 years will put you in a better position. You're only 56, not 100.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:54 PM

249 posts, read 492,106 times
Buy some land and stick a trailer on it, if/when you save up enough money you can build a proper house, I see a lot of that in western Bastrop Co. Just avoid any commute requiring I-35 or MoPac, I'd rather take roads with traffic lights than be jammed on those "highways".

Old 11-15-2014, 05:47 PM

9 posts, read 13,029 times
The NY Times recently created a pretty good calculator to help with the rent-vs-buy question: http://nyti.ms/1han05C

I suspect most people (myself included) who own homes want to tell everyone that it's the best way to go, but a financial analysis can go either way. To build a case that owning is better than renting, you often have to make optimistic assumptions about the annual appreciation of your property that aren't sustainable. Although of course over the last 20 or so years in Austin all of us homeowners look like geniuses. As they say in the standard mutual fund prospectus, past history is not a predictor of future performance.

The home I built in 1992 appreciated about 2.5x by the time I sold in 2010 to by another house here in Austin, and it was paid off in the mid-2000s. Sounds great, but if you check the total return of a low-cost S&P500 index fund over the same interval, it appreciated about 2.7x. And the owner of a mutual fund who rented his home didn't pay 2.25% annual in local taxes, another 0.5% for homeowner's insurance, maybe another 1.0% annually for maintenance, and didn't spend hour after hour keeping up the landscaping. It's possible that the renter built up a bigger investment nest egg than I did over the same period.

OP, most people aren't as comfortable moving around to take advantage of personal or professional opportunities as you seem to be. It's likely in 10 years you'll feel the itch to move to a lower-cost area with similar amenities as we enjoy here in Austin but perhaps a milder summer climate and lower property taxes. Maybe it will be easier then to move on if you are finishing up a one-year lease rather than selling a home you own.

I'm not putting down home ownership but I don't think renting is an unreasonable option for anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin