Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 12:04 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

Obviously it has to be a mix of both. I am sure that not everyone can be or is working for a tech company and living in the gentrified areas and posting instagram photos of their bike rides. I am very sure that element I remember of Austin of real hipsters who wanted to form a Glassjaw cover band and still work menial jobs is still there.

The good thing about Austin, from what I am gathering, is that because of the relatively low cost of living compared to other major cities, that there isn't this stiff hierarchy where people of different professions can't mix. A CEO of major start up and a local barista can all drink together in the same bar and no one would be the wiser as to which is which.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 12:48 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

You're telling me Austin has avoided all this? If so, then it truly is the best city.
To those that were here in 1990, no Austin hasn't avoided it. To those that moved here last week, yes it still has it, it's relative like many things in life.

Most of the "uber-competitive" would tend towards NYC (finance/business) or the Bay Area (high tech). Austin attracts the ones that value all the various facets of life, not just finance/power/prestige/novelty.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Boom. I think this is the key. The "wordly" cities like LA, NYC, DC and San Fran attract gunner A types who will do anything to climb the ladder. I gues Austin doesn't have the big national industries that attracts those types. I know most of the migration to Austin has been from texans first then from outside the state.

But then again, can it change because I feel that Houston has a bit! I'm seeing more and more new money young professionals living their 60k millionaire lives in the loop, also the burbs seem to be getting as materialistic as the OC, almost Dallas-like. I've heard Midland is a materialistic suburban nightmare cus of the oil wealth.

Is Austin not too far off from indulging in its new success too?
Houston is the oil capital of the world. If you are in the oil industry and you are a "gunner A" type, then you will live in Houston. That is why the vibe in Houston is so different.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Example. My cousin came to visit me in LA not too long ago. She's from the Houston burbs and lives in a cookie cutter McMansion in a master planned community. She found most of LA to be old and dirty. She didn't find the vintage neighborhoods eclectic and complained that her hotel, a very nice historic one, was too old. She's a young millennial in her late twenties and grew up in the new Houston. She thinks anything new and shiny is good and anything older is not so nice. She didn't find some of the more charming aspects of newly minted areas like Silverlake or Echo Park charming. These areas were on the verge of urban decay until people came in and really revitalized them. It's an eclectic mix of immigrant and hipster. The old Hollywood style glamor, did nothing for her. Santa Monica and Beverly Hills were the highlights of her whole trip.
Can't blame her, that is just what she grew up with thinking is nice. Nice shiny new multi use development city/town centre (spelling centre) spots. Bigger homes with the limestone with that metal Texas Lone Star hanging from the outside, sports car and truck parked in the drive way. No appreciation for the older urban elements that make a city's history. Big fake lake master planned communities with the giant amusement park looking entrance.
The trip was more of an escape from the gossipy social life she left behind and the problems she was having with her fiance over moving up to a bigger place. I mean it was bringing me back to the whole Texas suburban lifestyle of keeping up with the Jonses I knew in small town Katy.

Of course, she is not representative of everyone from back home but I remember this mentality a lot in the new Houston.
The irony is that in 20 years those McMansions will be in severe disarray. Of course by then your cousin will probably be living in the next outer ring.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:17 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
We moved to Austin for dominance.

In Manhattan we were middle of the pack but in Austin we are wealthier, smarter and better looking than everyone else.

So all in all it's been a good move for us.
I consistently run out of rep for your posts. Do these lighthearted pearls of rapier wit go unnoticed amongst the petty infighting so prevalent here, I wonder?

Old 11-13-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I consistently run out of rep for your posts. Do these lighthearted pearls of rapier wit go unnoticed amongst the petty infighting so prevalent here, I wonder?
I always heard it was not better to be a big fish in a small pond

Old 11-13-2014, 01:44 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Answers in post & below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Okay, I'll play.

Who were the "dozens of nationally known artists" that played SxSW 1987?

You missed the point. SxSW was created to promote "local" & regional artists. (not artists in Austin who were already signed & promoted nationally)

See the first-ever SXSW lineup: one page of bands, no day parties - Reverb

All those artists (I recognized about half of them) were local. & some eventually had some regional and/or national success. (Rev. Horton Heat, Angela Strehli, Lou Ann Barton...probably others)

Artists are imported because Austin never had 5000 bands. The event has grown, sure, but that growth is in _addition_ to local bands, not instead of.

Again you missed the point. One doesn't NEED 5000 bands if the festival grew organically as opposed to the corporate quasi-spring break semi-music outing that it's become. The corporations don't give a rat about the local musical artists who are trying to get a gig (much less promotion).

That schedule brings up another point. Are you lamenting the loss of the Ritz as a music venue, as you apparently are with all those others, or do you recognize that change has brought the Drafthouse and all that it is?
Not sure what the point of the Ritz venue (comment) is. It's not on the 87 SxSW schedule?

But most folks who lived or visited Austin in the 70s - 90s would lament the loss of Antone's, Steamboat & Liberty Lunch (which were on the schedule) as well as the AWH or Dope Creek (which were long gone at that point).

BTW, it's OK to build new venues & enjoy new artists/venues/restaurants/buildings/bridges etc. without tearing down Landmarks that were (are) uniquely Austin. I realize that the land where Broken Spoke, Sholz's Garten, & Dirty's are located (for example) would make swell Condo units or Parking Garages, but it would be nice to see some of the past preserved....before the newbies are successful in bringing the NFL & more Trader Joes to town.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:46 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
They certainly aren't lost on me, one of my favorite posters... but alas I am out of rep as well. I feel Austin is just a tiny bit better because someone like EastCoasting is living here.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:52 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Answers in post & below.

Not sure what the point of the Ritz venue (comment) is. It's not on the 87 SxSW schedule?
Huh?

Ritz Theatre
320 E 6th

Old 11-13-2014, 02:01 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I realize that the land where Broken Spoke, Sholz's Garten, & Dirty's are located (for example) would make swell Condo units or Parking Garages, but it would be nice to see some of the past preserved....before the newbies are successful in bringing the NFL & more Trader Joes to town.
I was thinking about why some still exist, and others don't. The difference is, some -- AWH, Liberty Lunch, original Antone's -- all were in leased space. The landlords sold them out when the property became too valuable. Others -- the Spoke, Continental Club -- the owner of the club owns the building. To them, thankfully, keeping something is more important than enriching themselves by enabling a spanking new building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin