Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:18 PM
ITO

159 posts, read 373,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
.... Do you see people sporting cowboys hats around town? Do you still hear any thick Texas accents? Just curious, thanks!
Every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 10:58 PM

126 posts, read 150,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post

I remember one thing I noticed on my first visit was that it seemed like no one had a southern accent. .
everyone in oz says i sound like matthew mcconaughey.. wtf does that mean.

sometimes i wonder what ppl mean by southern accent. texan vs hillbilly vs country vs isolated inbred vs hilljack vs etc... whats this southern accent you speak of...

i do have a draw, i hear it when im recorded, but not when im talking. im from austin and have lived in north and south tx as well. most ppl in atx arent from atx and or tx, so that may be part of the issue

Old 11-17-2014, 05:04 AM

320 posts, read 486,992 times
I think most major Metros, where jobs bring people from everywhere, end up being homogenized. I lived in Raleigh and although it it as you describe, if you travel 20 miles out, you will get authentic NC. Same applies here and most major metros I'd assume.

But having said that, I'll take the underlying TX influence in Austin over the Deep South influence of NC any day.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:19 AM

249 posts, read 492,149 times
Austin is the sort of place where you might walk past hippies with concealed handguns and vegan cowboys during a typical lunch hour. If you're not flexible enough to cope with actual diversity of thought, it's not for you, Portland would probably be a better choice.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:02 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
Austin is the sort of place where you might walk past hippies with concealed handguns and vegan cowboys during a typical lunch hour. If you're not flexible enough to cope with actual diversity of thought, it's not for you, Portland would probably be a better choice.
This.

I wasn't going to say a word here. Someone with concerns with whether or not Austin fits their prejudicial views of what a "Texas city" was like (with the only thing missing was a requisite "ewwwwwwh") probably lacks the only requisite Austin (and really, Texas as well) quality - an ability to live and let live. Thanks for saying it much better.

Sorta like what Gibby Haines of Butthole Surfers said right at the start of the Austin Sonic Highways episode. About Austin being the place where a lesbian couple lives on one side, and a cowboy and his wife live on the other. Only to find out that the lesbians voted for Bush and the cowgirl was actually a closeted lesbian. Don't ever judge the book by the cover here. Heck, don't judge at all here.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:33 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamenottaken View Post
I think most major Metros, where jobs bring people from everywhere, end up being homogenized. I lived in Raleigh and although it it as you describe, if you travel 20 miles out, you will get authentic NC. Same applies here and most major metros I'd assume.

But having said that, I'll take the underlying TX influence in Austin over the Deep South influence of NC any day.
Oh, definitely. Go a good 20 miles out of Raleigh in any direction, with the exception of Durham, it's authentic NC for sure. I made a thread titled "Similar cities to Raleigh" and some suggested Austin, so I was a bit curious. Not looking to move out of NC, just curious.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:47 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
Just needed to see that again, it's so perfect!

Old 11-18-2014, 08:07 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossh0g View Post
everyone in oz says i sound like matthew mcconaughey.. wtf does that mean.
If they mean you sound anything like the Lincoln commercials by MM, time to see a voice coach. One of the worst commercials for ANYTHING I've ever seen!!!(and I even considered Lincoln for our last new vehicle )

Old 11-20-2014, 12:16 AM

151 posts, read 238,621 times
There is no sterotypical texas city anymore. There are Texas towns that fit those criteria but the cities are all just like any other major american city. Also Austin has been viewed as a liberal city for over 50 years (when my dad moved from Dallas to Austin my grandmother was shocked because he was moving in with the liberals and that was back in the 70s). The picture that comes to mind in people's heads about Texas is not Austin, but more and more no texas city fits that mold anyway.

Also Austin has A TON of transplants, I am sure more than Raleigh because we are much larger, but most of ours come from California.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:35 AM

737 posts, read 1,582,696 times
We do not all ride horses through town and wear cowboy boots and cowboy hats. BUT, we do love the word y'all because it's way faster than saying you guys or you all. I love y'all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin