Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:12 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,549,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Yogi View Post
-West 37th and Jackson Ave
-Oak Hollow Drive and Oak Run Drive
-Parkfield Drive and Rutland Drive
-Wheatley Ave and Carver Ave
-East 22nd St and Chicon St
-Wellington Dr and Rogge Ln
Personally, I would only consider the two locations below from your list. If these are single family homes with yards then you will probably have to jump on them at that price for these locations. East 22nd St and Chicon St is basically on the UT Campus so it has a cool coffee shop and some restaurants in walking distance along with great bus service. Both would be good. I would stay away from all of the other locations. West 37th and Jackson Ave is a great location as well, but you might get a lot of road noise from MoPac.

Last edited by mark311; 01-21-2015 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 09:13 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,725,909 times
These three locations would be the best fits for you:

-Wheatley Ave and Carver Ave

Based on your needs, the closer to downtown the better.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:35 AM

59 posts, read 66,458 times
Thank you both sooooo much. Some of these are duplexes w/yard some are small bungalows w/yard. As noted I am trying to stay as close as possible to the downtown/social area. I will have a car with me during the relocation but would not mind trying out public transportation and getting familiar with it.

As far as road nice, I am probably immune. Some time in NYC and having rented my previous townhouse facing a main road has increased my tolerance for noise a whole lot.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:57 AM

Also, would it be a worthwhile idea to look into areas south of the Colorado River like Zilker, Barton Hills, Rollingwood etc, areas above Ben White? When I was down there in October I stayed in SoCo and enjoyed the area and the commute to the downtown wasnt bad. I have also found a few places in those areas that match my needs. Looking at the map it looks like I could take the Capital of Texas Highway or Loop 1 to get to the office.....not sure if those will help me avoid traffic.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:31 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,812,456 times
Capital of TX Hwy (360) and Loop 1 (Mopac) are not ever ways to avoid traffic. They are where the traffic lives.

If you work just North of the river and you live North of Ben White, your commute will be manageable. Those are very nice neighborhoods for the most part, though. If you go farther South, like down to Slaughter/Manchaca or Circle C, that's going to be rough, but tons of people do it. My wife commutes from SW Circle C to right next to UT (32nd st and I-35) and it's about 40-45 minutes for her; we are moving into town to get around that. But we are so far South that we're nearly in Hays County - if you can stick to Barton Hills, Zilker, or areas above Ben White, they'll have a very different feel to the other areas you're talking about but the commute should be OK.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:21 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,202,338 times
The further north you go, the cheaper the rents.

I would look at something off the 130, perhaps Pflugerville or Round Rock.

1 bedroom is no problem for $800-$900.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:26 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,418,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
The further north you go, the cheaper the rents.

I would look at something off the 130, perhaps Pflugerville or Round Rock.

1 bedroom is no problem for $800-$900.
We don't use a "the" in front of highway numbers here in Texas. Just sayin'.

Not a "grammar nazi" thing, more like a "when you live in Rome..." thing.

I'm sure it's a hard habit to break, so not trying to give you too hard a time about it.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:17 AM

^^haha thank you for the advice. That was like when I flew down to Humble Texas for a training and kept annunciating with the "H" when its said like Umble.

@Aquitaine.....thank you for the feedback. Yes if I was south of downtown I would stay north of Ben White. With this job I will have lots of flexibility with visiting the office so it would not be a traditional 9-5. I would have the opportunity to travel to the office during off hours which should help with some of the traffic as well. I guess if I had to describe the feel I got when I was down in the areas listed it seemed much more family oriented if I am not mistaken. Downtown and the surrounding areas felt more like the social scene.

@JH6....understood. The only issue for me is my mentality. If I am moving to Austin I want to be as close to the center of the city as possible. So Ideally I would be south of Round Rock and as close to downtown as possible.

Another possible location for just appeared. This location is in the Brentwood area near the Highland Mall. Looking around the map it looks like I could take the Metro Rail Red Line into East Austin or Downtown if needed....would this be good option? See that the rail does not run late but I could always take the rail one way and cab back if things got fuzzy. It would only be a 15-20 to the office as well.

Last edited by Rebel Yogi; 01-22-2015 at 09:31 AM..

Old 01-22-2015, 09:59 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,549,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Yogi View Post
Another possible location for just appeared. This location is in the Brentwood area near the Highland Mall. Looking around the map it looks like I could take the Metro Rail Red Line into East Austin or Downtown if needed....would this be good option?
I would still put the two locations below way above that, but I guess it depends on the actual street that you're looking at around there. It might not be a bad area to actually buy a place as that area could look completely different in 5 years with the ACC transformation, but the other two locations below really are a lot better in my opinion. This of course is without seeing what the actual rentals look like.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:16 AM

@Mark...thank you sir. It is official I will be flying down there next weekend for the final round of interviews. I will surely keep those two locations as the favorites just looking to see if its worth my time to spend the weekend running around looking at some of these places.

As far as purchasing a home....I will be looking into that over the next year. I want to get a feel for Austin for a bit before investing into property even though I have found a few homes for sale which would result in a mortgage about the same as some rentals out there. Hopefully in the near future both my best friend and sister will move down as they are looking at career opportunities down in Austin as well. That would help out tremendously with the rent budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin