Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 07:15 AM

675 posts, read 1,905,219 times

Advertisements

Every day for the last 7 years I've been driving from William Cannon (westbound) and crossing 290/71 at the light, going towards Freescale. Earlier this year, they launched the new light which was around the same amount of time/ traffic (no big improvement).

But now since returning from Christmas break, they changed something - that light is now backed up and I have to go through 4 red lights to get across 290! It's caused me to be about 7 minutes late!

Anyone know what they changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 07:42 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Every day for the last 7 years I've been driving from William Cannon (westbound) and crossing 290/71 at the light, going towards Freescale. Earlier this year, they launched the new light which was around the same amount of time/ traffic (no big improvement).

But now since returning from Christmas break, they changed something - that light is now backed up and I have to go through 4 red lights to get across 290! It's caused me to be about 7 minutes late!

Anyone know what they changed?
I don't travel that path - I go from N. WM Cannon to East Ben White - but I have not noticed a change (for better or worse) on the N. bound Wm Cannon traffic. When they first 'opened' that new system, it appeared that the traffic is quite sensitive to small changes in timing of the lights, though. I wonder if they have it on a 'holiday' setting still. Call 3-1-1 if it seems to be on-going and not just some anomaly.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:24 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I have noticed a change in timing there traveling North toward Freescale. I generally avoid going anyplace during rush hour, but during off peak hours I often have to wait through two red lights before I can get through the intersection. The green light is very short often only 5-6 cars get through it. I believe the focus on improving traffic flow there was the Hwy 290/71 traffic, at the expense of William Cannon traffic.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have noticed a change in timing there traveling North toward Freescale. I generally avoid going anyplace during rush hour, but during off peak hours I often have to wait through two red lights before I can get through the intersection. The green light is very short often only 5-6 cars get through it. I believe the focus on improving traffic flow there was the Hwy 290/71 traffic, at the expense of William Cannon traffic.
I thought I should clarify that was 5-6 cars in the lane I am usually in, the furthest right lane that can go straight ahead. If one person in the cue is not paying attention and slow to accelerate, it greatly limits the number of cars that can get through the light during its brief green cycle.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:59 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
I've always had bad luck in that intersection traveling toward Freescale (now NXP). During the times of day I go through (late afternoon), it has usually taken several iterations to get through.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:01 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I don't travel that path - I go from N. WM Cannon to East Ben White - but I have not noticed a change (for better or worse) on the N. bound Wm Cannon traffic. When they first 'opened' that new system, it appeared that the traffic is quite sensitive to small changes in timing of the lights, though. I wonder if they have it on a 'holiday' setting still. Call 3-1-1 if it seems to be on-going and not just some anomaly.
Your post triggered a thought that had been in the back of my mind for the past 6 months to a year, or so. My goal in this post is to explain clearly and precisely what I want to say. Ever since the 290 and Wm Cannon intersection changed, there is a sign on Westbound 290 that says "Northbound Wm Cannon Left Lane". Or maybe it says "Southbound Wm Cannon" . I'm not exactly sure which, but the point is, I find the sign more confusing than informative because Wm Cannon runs east and west. It does not run north and south. The address at Freescale (NXP) has a West Wm Cannon address. So where is the state coming up with Northbound-Southbound Wm Cannon stuff at?

When they were working on the construction of that intersection, we received emails from the state telling us which lanes of "NB-SB Wm Cannon" would be closed during the morning hours, so we would be prepared for any delays. When I read the emails, I thought, thats strange. NB-SB WC. But I blew it off.

And now I see these new sign on Westbound 290 close to the Austin Pizza Garden that says NB & SB Wm Cannon, left or right lane and I wonder does the state not realize that Wm Cannon runs east and west for close to 20 miles along the far Southside of Austin, from McKinney Falls and 183 to SW Parkway in Oak Hill.

I realize Wm Cannon winds around in different directions and at some point it may run north or south, but it's still an east and west road, and these NB -SB signs only adds to the confusion of that already confusing intersection.

I haven't checked the street signs but I'm pretty sure they say W. Wm Cannon.

If I was a stranger in town and I was in Oak Hill, and I wanted to get to East Wm Cannon, and I seen the signs for NB & SB Wm Cannon, but no sign for EB & WB Wm Cannon, I'd come to a stand still because I wouldn't know which direction to go.

Has anybody else noticed that? If not, check it out the next time you're out that way. Anybody have any idea why the state would identify WC as a NB SB thoroughfare at 290?

Old 01-11-2016, 05:12 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I'm not exactly sure which, but the point is, I find the sign more confusing than informative because Wm Cannon runs east and west. It does not run north and south.
Check a map. WC runs almost directly N/S as it hits 290 (actually all the way from southwest parkway to escarpment). It's basically perpendicular to 290 which runs E/W.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Check a map. WC runs almost directly N/S as it hits 290 (actually all the way from southwest parkway to escarpment). It's basically perpendicular to 290 which runs E/W.
I understand that, as I stated in the 4th paragraph of my post.

If that was the case, then 290 where it runs NS along I-35, would be called 290 North or 290 South.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 01-11-2016 at 05:43 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 09:32 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I find the sign more confusing than informative because Wm Cannon runs east and west. It does not run north and south. The address at Freescale (NXP) has a West Wm Cannon address. So where is the state coming up with Northbound-Southbound Wm Cannon stuff at?

Cannon makes a slight curve near the 'Y" - hence the confusion about Cannon running N/S. To begin with, the Austin grid is rotated (About 25 degrees). This long-time misunderstanding of basic cardinal direction is how parts of Austin came to be considered in an incorrect context. For example; parts of "SE Austin" are actually SW of "NW Austin". (figure that one out)
Attached Thumbnails
William Cannon and 290/71 - They Changed the Light!-austin-non-rotated-map.jpg  

Last edited by sojourner77; 01-12-2016 at 10:56 AM..

Old 01-12-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
Cannon makes a slight curve near the 'Y" - hence the confusion about Cannon running N/S. To begin with, the Austin grid is rotated (About 25 degrees). This long-time misunderstanding of basic cardinal direction is how parts of Austin came to be considered in an incorrect context. For example; parts of "SE Austin" are actually SW of "NW Austin". (figure that one out)
I still think the state has the signs labeled wrong. They need to say EB or WB Wm Cannon, like the street signs at each corner says, and just like the businesses out that way have a West Wm Cannon address. They do not have a North or South Wm Cannon address.

I think I'm going to send an email to Ben Wear and let him investigate it.

I was looking at the map and I was surprised to see that where my parents live in Cherry Creek, near Westgate and Wm Cannon, they are as far West as Anderson Mill and nearly as far West as Cedar Park. In my mind it seems like Cedar Park is several miles west of Cherry Creek. We drive all the way up Mopac to 183 and then drive NW for another 9 to 12 miles, yet according to the map, we are no further west than when we left Cherry Creek, in South Austin. It's almost as if we went direct north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin