Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:17 PM

32 posts, read 148,506 times

Advertisements

This might be a stupid question, but I've seen pics of Austin in what looks to be spring time and it looks much greener than Dallas (where I am staying now w/ family). So I was wondering, do the leaves change color at all in the fall or is that impossible to find this far south?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 08:05 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,293,347 times
We have plenty of color in the Fall The Texas Red Oaks are just beautiful and we also have some maples around here. Below are some pics of trees that are common in Central Texas and their Fall colors:

Bigtooth Maple in Lost Maples State Park:

Chinese Pistache:

Possumhaw Holly:

Texas Red Oak:
http://www.tree-land.com/Images/redoakfall.jpg (broken link)
http://www.ecoscapes.1adventure.com/Quercusbuckleyi_close.jpg (broken link)

Shots of Austin from the west during Fall:
http://www.redirectionsomatics.com/images/austin_fall_skyline.jpg (broken link)

As for Spring.....

Mexican Plum:

Texas Redbud:
http://www.ecoscapes.1adventure.com/Red_Bud.jpg (broken link)

Desert Willow:
http://williamson-tx.tamu.edu/AG/landscapedemos/plantmaterial/images/trees/bgdesertwillow2.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-28-2006, 12:12 PM

32 posts, read 148,506 times
wow, i didnt expect that. that looks more like PA where I'm used to. so why is fall in austin so much more colorful than dallas? and how long does that last?

Old 10-29-2006, 06:35 PM

806 posts, read 2,885,246 times
More greenbelts in and around CenTex... May last a couple of weeks, may last a month depending on the cold fronts that come through. The harsher and more frequent they are, the shorter the display time...

Old 10-29-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spltend View Post
wow, i didnt expect that. that looks more like PA where I'm used to. so why is fall in austin so much more colorful than dallas? and how long does that last?
Dallas is on a prairie and not really a "green" place. I took a Texas Geography course in college and we learned that there are no native trees to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. It was nothing but grassland (blades taller than a horse!) as far as you could see. The trees/shrubs in Dallas were brought there by humans but it is not naturally a lush place.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:51 AM

148 posts, read 604,948 times
Default what part of Fall?

Hi!

I would like to come to Austin during the weeks of the Fall season that the foliage would look this pretty (probably next year).

Would it probably be like this in mid-October?

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2006, 09:58 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Dallas is on a prairie and not really a "green" place. I took a Texas Geography course in college and we learned that there are no native trees to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. It was nothing but grassland (blades taller than a horse!) as far as you could see. The trees/shrubs in Dallas were brought there by humans but it is not naturally a lush place.
Actually Dallas has one of the largest native hardwood forests w/in the city in the country. There are many trees that are native to the Dallas area. While we are on the "prarie" we border it more than anything. So there are areas that have native trees.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Actually Dallas has one of the largest native hardwood forests w/in the city in the country. There are many trees that are native to the Dallas area. While we are on the "prarie" we border it more than anything. So there are areas that have native trees.
Just relaying what we went over in class. I don't have a Ph.D. in Geography like my professor did, so I can't really argue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring-rox View Post
Hi!

I would like to come to Austin during the weeks of the Fall season that the foliage would look this pretty (probably next year).

Would it probably be like this in mid-October?

Thanks!
Mid-October is probably too early. Fall doesn't really start around here until November. Probably mid-November to mid-December would be the best time to see the colors. Then again, if we have a winter like we did last year, then that goes out the window (it was 86 degrees on New Year's Day last year... I was in shorts and sweating).

Old 10-30-2006, 12:26 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Just relaying what we went over in class. I don't have a Ph.D. in Geography like my professor did, so I can't really argue.
Professors don't know everything.
As a matter of fact the Big D is also home to a native swamp area that native palms thrive and have for thousands of years. To read more about this one area of Dallas try this link.
http://dallaspalms.com/native_palm_groves_in_dallas.htm

Also check out the Great Trinity Forest. The one I mentioned earlier, one of the largest native hardwood forests located in a large city in this country.

And all of those trees you posted pics of, we have those here in Dallas too. Come visit sometime and enjoy it. Right now the leaves are starting to turn and it is looking good.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:51 AM

122 posts, read 180,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spltend View Post
We have trees! Fall is great but spring is the best time of the year in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin