Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:48 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times

Advertisements

Okay, let me gripe a bit. I was driving around today and I couldn't but help noticing that all the palm trees look almost totally dead. All the leaves are brown and I'm not sure if any of them will make it. I think the severe winter weather we had earlier in February did them in.

At the same time, I looked at the cedar and oak trees and they are doing fine. So are the lugustrims, magnolias, and a myriad of native local plants. I would say that they look "unfazed" by any previous winter weather, just as I would expect of these native plants.

I've noticed that many of my CA friends insist on putting palm trees in their yards, and I've warned them over many years that palms aren't native to Texas, and while they could last years and years, there will be those really cold years that will kill them off. Of course, they didn't listen but now they're complaining that they've lost their palms. I hate to say "I told you so" so instead I said "Now's a good time to plant some oak trees in their place and those trees will last hundreds of years."

Note to Californians: This is not California. Unless you live in far South Texas, palm trees don't really do well here. Although we are warm most of the year, our winter is indeed cold (if short) and it can get cold enough to kill off most varieties of palms.

I do indeed love the look of palm trees, but they just plain don't belong here and now there are tons of ugly dead palms everywhere.

Okay, I'll stop now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 03:58 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Completely agree!

The only area of Texas that should have palms is the coastal part of the state. Possibly also near-coastal, like Houston.

Otherwise, NO! They WILL die/brown in the winter. This is not a California climate in the least!

Old 02-28-2011, 04:24 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Okay, let me gripe a bit. I was driving around today and I couldn't but help noticing that all the palm trees look almost totally dead. All the leaves are brown and I'm not sure if any of them will make it. I think the severe winter weather we had earlier in February did them in....

I do indeed love the look of palm trees, but they just plain don't belong here and now there are tons of ugly dead palms everywhere.

Okay, I'll stop now...
I didn't know that Austin got cold enough to kill the palms....so did El Paso, and they are EVERYWHERE there.

I agree. Palms do not belong in most of Texas....OR.....New Mexico. People as far north as Albuquerque plant them, and southern NM where I now live is full of them.

Since we got down to -11/13, all of the palms are most likely dead, and they are all over this town on public property. Ugly to the max, and I doubt that the city will remove them any time soon, so we'll be looking at dead trees for the next several years.

Palms are pretty in their native element, but ugly out of it.

At least most of the palms in private yards will be cleaned up--hopefully.

I'm moving soon where it is too cold for palms to survive at all.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:37 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Perhaps everyone just assumed global warming would take care of things by now.

I personally think most of the large established palms will be fine; although the dead foliage obviously will remain for a couple of months or more. But I could be wrong, we'll see by about June. We should resurrect this thread around then...

Old 02-28-2011, 04:52 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Not sure I agree with the notion that palms simply shouldn't be planted here. There are some in the Breakaway neighborhood that were at least 30 feet tall. Are they dead now? Not sure. They likely provided some pleasure for a number of years. We're lucky to have some really large live oaks in our yard; but, to plant an oak now(unless you have $$$ to transplant something sizable) means quite a few years before there is really anything to 'enjoy'. Our Japanese Maple is small but beautiful...if it gets clobbered by weather, I'll be sad...but I had a chance to enjoy a beautiful tree while it was around! Who knows...we may go quite a few years without the serious cold snaps like the past two winters. ' Ya pays yo money and ya takes yo chances!'

Old 02-28-2011, 04:52 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,999 times
As an ex-Californian myself it is really hard to let go of palms trees, but some cold hardy palms will survive below freezing temps. The Needle Palm, the Windmill Palm and the Mediterranean Fan Palm will all survive the Austin climate just fine. My favorite is the Queen Palm but it gets too cold for those to grow here. Some of the palms you see around town are actually fine even though they look bad, and they will come back in a couple of months.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:54 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Completely agree!

The only area of Texas that should have palms is the coastal part of the state. Possibly also near-coastal, like Houston.

Otherwise, NO! They WILL die/brown in the winter. This is not a California climate in the least!
I think even Houston got into the 20's but Galveston was in the 30's so perhaps only Galveston Island and then a narrow coastal strip down to Corpus Christi and then extending south and southwest from Corpus. Brownsville definitely is a good climate for palm trees.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:33 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Okay, let me gripe a bit. I was driving around today and I couldn't but help noticing that all the palm trees look almost totally dead. All the leaves are brown and I'm not sure if any of them will make it. I think the severe winter weather we had earlier in February did them in.

At the same time, I looked at the cedar and oak trees and they are doing fine. So are the lugustrims, magnolias, and a myriad of native local plants. I would say that they look "unfazed" by any previous winter weather, just as I would expect of these native plants.
I take issue with the pass for wax-leaf ligustrum, which I assume is the variety you are referring to. That was one plant that didn't fare well at all during the freezes of the 1980s. We lost an entire hedge around our backyard, and that was the case all over town. Red-tip photinias did well, but not ligustrum.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
I've seen them turn brown before and then come back. Not right away, but they do appear to grow green again. I don't like the looks of them even when they're green.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 PM

185 posts, read 350,051 times
It's funny that Californians want to bring over palm trees when it's not even a plant native to California nor suitable for the semi-arid climate of SoCal.
I dunno. Maybe Texans who move to other states would have trouble leaving the wildflowers and cedar trees behind.
But gosh, as if Texans didn't have enough reasons to laugh at Californian transplants..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin