Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 08:11 PM

93 posts, read 422,566 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a 22 yr old recent college grad. I currently live in Phoenix but I am sick to death of the hot,dry,brown,dusty,smoggy desert. I was born and raised in the north east and I miss having at least 3 seasons, I don't mind not having to deal with snow though. So I have been considering moving to either Denver, (yes I know they get snow, but they have other factors that are appealing to me) or Austin. I am looking for the following things in a city:

1. affordable cost of living, I know texas doesn't have income tax which is a big plus since I'll probaly be renting for at least the next 3 years.

2. At least 3 seasons, I miss having the weather change and I love a good rainy day ever now and then.

3. Plenty of nightlife and things to do year round. I am young and I like to go out and have fun, that includes enjoying nature. Are there areas I could live on a pond or lake or near a lake in Austin?

The rest is up in the air

I have also kinda be looking into San Antonio as my degree is in Hospitality, Resort and Tourism Mgt. it seems like they might have more job opportunities than Austin.

One last question, even though I live in the desert, I love going to the beach. How far is the nearest beach from Austin/San Antonio and can you surf/do water sports there?

Thanks so much for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:50 PM

79 posts, read 394,709 times
One question: if you could go snow-skiing or water-skiing which would you prefer?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:01 PM

93 posts, read 422,566 times
Well I like snow skiing, but I have never been water skiing although its something I'd like to try in the future. My biggest concern about Denver is the winter, I like some snow, but Im not wild about shoveling my car out of 3ft of snow for 6 mos out of the year. My biggest concern about Austin/San Antonio is the high property taxes for when I do buy a home. Obviously not having income tax taken out of your paychecks you take more money home, but is what you take home in line with the cost of living? In other words its not like Ca where you earn (in most cases) far less than you need to live?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:18 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Having lived in both, I love both. You actually don't have to shovel your car out of 3 ft. of snow for 6 months. That would be pretty unusual. Denver, even on snow days can be very sunny. Most regular snows melt off the roads pretty quickly. The mountains and foothills actually get more snow than Denver itself. You must be wary of ice on the roads in Denver, but other than that, it's not too big of a deal. You'd have a better chance of living on or near a lake in Austin than you would in Denver. Not any ponds to speak of in Austin, but we do have Lake Travis and Lake Austin. Cherry Creek reservoir in Denver is good for skiing, but no lakeside homes. Grand Lake and maybe Mesa in Colorado do have Lakefront, but most lakes there do not have lakeside properties, many times because they want to keep the water as pristine as possible. I do better at snow skiing than water skiing, but both can be heck on the legs! The winter here is definitely a bit milder than in Denver, but like I said, usually even with the snow, it's not so bad. You ought to be able to use your degree in Austin. Quite a few hotels and Inns/bed and breakfasts. Lost Pines resort is a very large Hyatt property in Bastrop that might be an interesting place to look into. Several hotels downtown as well. Denver also has it's share of very cool, very old and historical hotels downtown. The Brown Palace is one that comes to mind. There is also the Driscoll in downtown Austin.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:26 PM

260 posts, read 1,331,284 times
and the "W" hotel is coming to Austin as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin