Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:52 PM

385 posts, read 1,244,751 times

Advertisements

I WAS a mini-van hater. I chose to buy a Scion xa (tiny car) when I was preggo to go against the stereo-type. My daughter is one now and this car is way too frigg'n small. I love it but it is ridiculous. I'm buying a mini-van next with pride. I seriously don't care what people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 06:58 PM

260 posts, read 1,328,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
I'm a big-time wagon guy and could give 2 sh*ts what anyone thinks. The Outbacks are great. I also like pick-up trucks, but the normal-sized ones, not the giant "big boys". They are very useful. I'm not sure about the tailgating theory(kinda seems that way, but maybe I just notice more), but I do think that many of the new trucks and SUVs, instill a certain power in their drivers, because they handle more like cars than the previous generations of trucks. My dad had a F-150 supercab when I first started driving(80s) and that thing handled like a truck. It wasn't easy to steer or maneuver, wasn't very smooth and was fairly loud. It did move pretty fast though...

I learned how to parallel park with that thing!
I rented an Outback to drive to Taos last year because I didn't want to take my gas guzzling 4wd Suburban. I absolutly love that car! it was terrific all the way there in the snow. I would buy one in a second, but the only problem is that it doesn't have enough ground clearance to get where I need to go. Unfortunatly because of that I have to have a 4wd on a true truck chassis.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:36 PM

184 posts, read 1,005,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek ATX View Post
I rented an Outback to drive to Taos last year because I didn't want to take my gas guzzling 4wd Suburban. I absolutly love that car! it was terrific all the way there in the snow. I would buy one in a second, but the only problem is that it doesn't have enough ground clearance to get where I need to go. Unfortunatly because of that I have to have a 4wd on a true truck chassis.
Would it be better to have the outback for 99% of your driving needs and rent an SUV for those once in a year trips that *might* require a *lot* of ground clearance? Of course, if you travel to those place more frequently, its a different story...

Old 01-21-2008, 07:41 PM

260 posts, read 1,328,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2austin View Post
Would it be better to have the outback for 99% of your driving needs and rent an SUV for those once in a year trips that *might* require a *lot* of ground clearance? Of course, if you travel to those place more frequently, its a different story...
I travel in those areas quite a bit, plus need the clearance and 4WD when I'm showing land and acreage (especially this week!)

Old 01-21-2008, 09:20 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,562,478 times
Family of 4 with two sedans! Midwest had just as many SUV's as ATX!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:42 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,874,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Midwest had just as many SUV's as ATX!
Yeah, there's no doubt about that. People everywhere like them. I'll tell ya' what though, if I could, I'd love to get a hold of one of those vintage Wagoneers from the 70s....

Old 11-17-2008, 10:48 PM
jo5

3 posts, read 6,869 times
Unfortunately our SUV was keyed recently. What really makes us mad is that we use Biodiesel. If someone has an issue with our choice of vehicle they can ask us about it instead of cowardly committing vandalism.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:56 PM
jo5

Unhappy keyed suv

Unfortunately our SUV was keyed recently. What really makes us mad is that we use Biodiesel. If someone has an issue with our choice of vehicle they can ask us about it instead of cowardly committing vandalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Well, I drive a full size SUV too. I like it for the comfort and visibility, but I totally hate the gas mileage. Also, I like to vacation in West Texas and drive through to Vegas or skiing in NM, and out there the speed limit is 80mph... wouldn't want to do that in a Honda Fit.

However, I totally understand the disrespectful driving complaints. I don't drive that way, but in a city of bad drivers... I totally agree that having these folks in huge SUVs is annoying and dangerous. But blame the idiot drivers first.

Thing is, I had a Volvo sedan a couple of years ago... comfortable and quiet, but it didn't get much better gas mileage than my SUV. Plus, it was in the shop more often than it should have been.

Now, my Texas sensibilities tell me it's ridiculous for people to be offended by the car I drive. Yes, it isn't efficient on the gas consumption, but I pay dearly for that (including lots of federal and state taxes)... and if we go down that road, why aren't people offended by big houses? Isn't it a waste to heat/cool 2500 sq ft for 2 people when they only need 800 sq ft? Should I be offended by those that choose to live in the north east, burning fuel oil to stay warm when they could all just move down here?

I don't mind if you disagree with my choice of vehicle; many people do, and I'm OK with that. Luckily here in Austin, I haven't yet been keyed or anything... although I did get this little gem of a bumper sticker pasted to my SUV. Whomever did it will be quite pleased that I didn't notice it for 2 days

Old 11-17-2008, 11:14 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,700,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo5 View Post
But how do you know it was keyed for this reason?

Old 11-17-2008, 11:27 PM
jo5

There is no reason for it being keyed. I've heard of other people in Austin with large SUV's also being keyed with no reason. I wish I could ask the person why they did it. It wasn't parked on the street so it wasn't some random kids acting out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin