Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:38 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You apparently didn't look hard enough. The law is that the left lane is for passing only ONLY in those areas that are specifically designated as such AND that have signage with specific wording so stating. It also doesn't count if the signage is too far back - this from case law that I've looked up, as well. There's been more than one drug case thrown out due to a stop for cruising in the left lane where drugs were found and the cop had the same understanding of the law that you do and the sign was anywhere from five to 25 miles back and thus the stretch the stop was in wasn't left lane passing only and it was a bad traffic stop and thus a bad drug bust.

I'm really surprised, though, that every day you run into someone going that slow. When I've driven in Austin it's more like someone in the left lane going only four or five miles OVER the limit and some people are getting steamed about it. Assuming, of course, that it's not rush hour and everyone is going slower than the limit in all lanes due to traffic.
I looked pretty hard:

TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES (specifically, 545.051)

I don't mean to be difficult, but that seems pretty unambiguous to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 08:10 AM

684 posts, read 812,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You apparently didn't look hard enough. The law is that the left lane is for passing only ONLY in those areas that are specifically designated as such AND that have signage with specific wording so stating. It also doesn't count if the signage is too far back - this from case law that I've looked up, as well. There's been more than one drug case thrown out due to a stop for cruising in the left lane where drugs were found and the cop had the same understanding of the law that you do and the sign was anywhere from five to 25 miles back and thus the stretch the stop was in wasn't left lane passing only and it was a bad traffic stop and thus a bad drug bust.

I'm really surprised, though, that every day you run into someone going that slow. When I've driven in Austin it's more like someone in the left lane going only four or five miles OVER the limit and some people are getting steamed about it. Assuming, of course, that it's not rush hour and everyone is going slower than the limit in all lanes due to traffic.

I have NEVER heard of this in my life, even in the handbook when taking the driving course test it mentions the left lane is for passing ONLY. From my understanding that is the general rule/law , you are not suppose to drive on the left lane at all as it is not legal to pass a vehicle on the right side, and that came from a state troopers mouth.

Maybe you are thinking of truck drivers not being able to ride in the left lane? Otherwise this whole signage thing you speak of i never heard of as well, who in their right mind would measure their miles while driving? Ive NEVER heard of that either. All i know is , more people should show some courtesy to left lane drivers and simply merge over if one wants to drive a little faster then you.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:49 AM

319 posts, read 737,238 times
There are some here that are fond of taking an argument and changing the words/meaning so they can refute it easier. Also "dumbs down" the conversation and makes it too simplistic or black/white. A notable example in this thread is how now we are talking about a "one minute" friendly conversation in line. And if you don't have time for that, you should reexamine life . This is far from the original posting and subsequent posts in the thread. This was never about a friendly smile or 1 minute conversation. This was from the beginning, about the self-centered behavior on the road, parking lots, grocery lines, etc. of not being aware when there are long lines of people behind you. There is a time to diddle daddle and not be worried about others, and there is a time to be efficient and realize that your time is not more valuable than others. I submit to you that is on the highways/streets and in local lines, etc.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:59 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
There are some here that are fond of taking an argument and changing the words/meaning so they can refute it easier. Also "dumbs down" the conversation and makes it too simplistic or black/white. A notable example in this thread is how now we are talking about a "one minute" friendly conversation in line. And if you don't have time for that, you should reexamine life . This is far from the original posting and subsequent posts in the thread. This was never about a friendly smile or 1 minute conversation. This was from the beginning, about the self-centered behavior on the road, parking lots, grocery lines, etc. of not being aware when there are long lines of people behind you. There is a time to diddle daddle and not be worried about others, and there is a time to be efficient and realize that your time is not more valuable than others. I submit to you that is on the highways/streets and in local lines, etc.
No, it's called being a social human being in society. Like I said, if that steams you so much, you need to look inward.

You're probably the same person who just laid on their horn trying to get me to make an unprotected left turn right into the path of an oncoming car --- although I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they simply didn't see the car.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:05 AM

319 posts, read 737,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
No, it's called being a social human being in society. Like I said, if that steams you so much, you need to look inward.

You're probably the same person who just laid on their horn trying to get me to make an unprotected left turn right into the path of an oncoming car --- although I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they simply didn't see the car.
How many Red Herrings (made up arguments) can you fit into one thread? I would never lay my horn at anyone for doing that. I would lay on my horn if you were first at a light for green arrow with 10 cars behind you and you wait to the last minute to go and everyone else is left waiting. See, I think that youre probably that person.

We can do this all day. Its about being self-centered. A society is about living according to a reasonably similar set of norms/standards/etc... and about treating others as you would want to be treated. Part of that means when you have 10 people standing behind you at Starbucks, deciding that in that particular moment, you aren't going to start the 5 minute conversation with the cashier. You are going to smile, be polite, but order and move along. And stop riding your brakes for no reason on the roads, or driving 10 mph under the speed limit, and the list goes on and on. If you don't want to have to interact/respect and be courteous for others time, go move out to a ranch and make your own coffee I do that a few times per year and when I'm there I don't have to worry about being in a hurry for anything or anybody. But when I am amongst society, I like to stay mindful of helping to move the "machine" along daily...

Old 12-15-2014, 10:09 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Someone chatting with a cashier for longer than a minute really doesn't bother me. No big deal at all.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:35 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
Texas has the worst drivers , and i come from NJ where we have some bad traffic. These drivers are clowns here.
Correct......But most of the clowns moved here from the north east....

Old 12-15-2014, 10:59 AM

684 posts, read 812,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Correct......But most of the clowns moved here from the north east....
False , unless you have factual data to prove that? I would say most are from BOTH costs and farther north central . I am from the NE , and the drivers do not drive as bad as the people do down here.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
How many Red Herrings (made up arguments) can you fit into one thread? I would never lay my horn at anyone for doing that. I would lay on my horn if you were first at a light for green arrow with 10 cars behind you and you wait to the last minute to go and everyone else is left waiting. See, I think that youre probably that person.

We can do this all day. Its about being self-centered. A society is about living according to a reasonably similar set of norms/standards/etc... and about treating others as you would want to be treated. Part of that means when you have 10 people standing behind you at Starbucks, deciding that in that particular moment, you aren't going to start the 5 minute conversation with the cashier. You are going to smile, be polite, but order and move along. And stop riding your brakes for no reason on the roads, or driving 10 mph under the speed limit, and the list goes on and on. If you don't want to have to interact/respect and be courteous for others time, go move out to a ranch and make your own coffee I do that a few times per year and when I'm there I don't have to worry about being in a hurry for anything or anybody. But when I am amongst society, I like to stay mindful of helping to move the "machine" along daily...
You are the only self-centered one, but you're far too self-happy to realize it. Hard to believe you're able to leave your house every day without stroking out due to all those other human beings who are conspiring to slow you down.

PS For what it's worth, I'm an extraordinarily good driver. I've never had a ticket in almost four decades behind the wheel, and only one accident where a drunk slammed into me as I was stopped at a red light.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
False , unless you have factual data to prove that? I would say most are from BOTH costs and farther north central . I am from the NE , and the drivers do not drive as bad as the people do down here.
You've never even lived in Austin, so you have no daily knowledge of city traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin