Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:17 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times

Advertisements

Both of these locations are great, but Cole has better stuff within a block or two. If you want to be high Catherine is the obvious choice and may get you farther away from the noise. Still I know someone who lives at Barton Springs and Lamar and it wasn't so bad.

Rents like these for The Catherine shed a positive light on our new boardwalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 11:27 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YooCanFly View Post
hmm well, the price wasn't my discussion point, but since it is brought up, and everyone is deviating from the topic, i'll discuss/explain.

yes, they have studios at $1588. that is the one i'm looking at.
Plus, they have specials going on right now, 1.5 months' rent off with 12 month lease.

that brings the rent down to roughly $1400 / mo, which is much less than AMLI or others apartments in the area. I currently live at AMLI further away from DT, and pay $1400/mo. They increased the rent to $1550/mo for next year, so I'm getting the hell out of AMLI.

I don't have a car, I use car2go, my workplace is literally 5 minutes away from there. so I save at least $300 from not having a car (lease/depreciation, gas, insurance, maintenance, etc).

so, my expenses for housing + car = $1400.
I'm sure most people spend at least $1000 for a nice place, at least $300 a month on the car pricing in the depreciation.
I spend 5 minutes to get to work, everything is close by. others will spend 30+ min commute everyday.

Anyway, I may have sounded salty and defensive, but once you look at the numbers, I am positive that it doesn't look as bad as some of you guys make it sound.
Definitely not "Holy Hell" "Holy Smokes" "Absolutely Ridiculous" I think

If you disagree, show me your numbers to compare and convince me otherwise. I'm listening.
Haters gonna hate.

I'd vote Cole.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:49 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
hmm well, the price wasn't my discussion point, but since it is brought up, and everyone is deviating from the topic, i'll discuss/explain.

Plus, they have specials going on right now, 1.5 months' rent off with 12 month lease.

that brings the rent down to roughly $1400 / mo, which is much less than AMLI or others apartments in the area. I currently live at AMLI further away from DT, and pay $1400/mo. They increased the rent to $1550/mo for next year, so I'm getting the hell out of AMLI.

I don't have a car, I use car2go, my workplace is literally 5 minutes away from there. so I save at least $300 from not having a car (lease/depreciation, gas, insurance, maintenance, etc).

I'm sure most people spend at least $1000 for a nice place, at least $300 a month on the car pricing in the depreciation.
I spend 5 minutes to get to work, everything is close by. others will spend 30+ min commute everyday.

Anyway, I may have sounded salty and defensive, but once you look at the numbers, I am positive that it doesn't look as bad as some of you guys make it sound.

If you disagree, show me your numbers to compare and convince me otherwise. I'm listening.
I have no idea why you've decided to take an objective comment about rent prices and turn it into something personal to get salty about.

Those places count on people like you who are willing to forgo equity and bedrooms to be close to the "action."

Old 12-16-2014, 11:53 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:

I appreciate your sharing this information. It is informative to see how it could work fine for you. I am retired and have considered the option of moving to an apartment downtown but the numbers didn't make sense. But I might take another careful look at it. Even though my house mortgage is paid off, I do still have ongoing maintenance, taxes, higher utiilties and upkeep to consider. I need to fully consider all of those costs.

Big differences for me is I can't imagine downsizing to a studio, I'd want at least 2 bedrooms. I still feel a need to have a car even though I put only 4500 miles on it each year, so no savings there. Plus I assume there is an extra cost if I need a parking place.

How do you get your groceries from that area? I assume you must need a "car to go" when you stock up as there is no grocery store within walking distance.

Last edited by CptnRn; 12-16-2014 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: smart car = "car to go"

Old 12-16-2014, 12:08 PM

37 posts, read 123,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I appreciate your sharing this information. It is informative to see how it could work fine for you. I am retired and have considered the option of moving to an apartment downtown but the numbers didn't make sense. But I might take another careful look at it. Even though my house mortgage is paid off, I do still have ongoing maintenance, taxes, higher utiilties and upkeep to consider. I need to fully consider all of those costs.

Big differences for me is I can't imagine downsizing to a studio, I'd want at least 2 bedrooms. I still feel a need to have a car even though I put only 4500 miles on it each year, so no savings there. Plus I assume there is an extra cost if I need a parking place.

How do you get your groceries from that area? I assume you must need a smart car when you stock up as there is no grocery store within walking distance.
I do groceries on car2go, there's a car2go parking space inside whole foods, costs me <10$ total on car2go for a round-trip to whole foods.

I live alone, still young, no pets, so a studio is plenty for me. But I can see why some people would want a bigger house.

I just couldn't justify sitting in the car for 1 hour everyday when I can bicycle to work in 5 min. I do have enough savings to buy a car, but I still can't justify buying a car economically. There is some drawbacks when I can't find a car2go nearby, sometimes I have to walk 5 minutes to get to the closest available car, but if that saves me couple of hundreds a month, that's a tradeoff i'm willing to make.

Thanks for your post earlier, it gave me some new insight on what I should ask the community manager before signing.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:16 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Haters gonna hate.

I'd vote Cole.
Whatever, "hate" has zero to do with people making singular comments about Catherine's prices.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 PM

8 posts, read 9,443 times
Quote:
Hi,

i'm debating between these two apartment complexes.

..:| Cole |:..
The Catherine Austin | New Studio, One, Two and Three Bedroom Apartments

The location is pretty much the same,
price/month range is about the same.

I have scheduled a viewing for tomorrow, but wanted your opinions here so I can just sign the lease tomorrow if everything is ok.

the catherine is a new high rise apartment, built in 2014. I think they are still in the process of finishing up everything. Should I be worried about construction noise?

Anyone living in any of these apartment? recommendation?
The reviews are terrible regarding the noise in the units. That is way too much money to spend to hear your neighbors. And 0 bed 1 bath is a joke for $1200 or $1300.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:14 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,534 times
Quote:
...i'll discuss/explain.

Well that sheds some light. What's going to happen when they increase the rent at the Catherine? Time is money and the location sounds right, but I bet after a year the rate increase will be very comparable to AMLI - unless you can lock in a longer term deal. Let us know where you end up.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:45 PM

37 posts, read 123,971 times
I signed the lease today, for 1 year at The Catherine.
I do not mind moving every year, I am light on furnitures, and got some friends who will help me move when needed for pizza, and perhaps next year, I may look into buying a property.

Thanks everyone for valuable feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin