Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 05:30 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,048,465 times

Advertisements

I find whenever I'm disappointed in a person, place, or thing, it's because I had expectations that weren't met. It sounds like your expectations were different than what you observed. Bummer. That's life.

Yes, Austin is different than 20 years ago, and will be even differenter 20 years from now. I like living here, as it is today, else I'd leave. With the "bad" changes come many "good" as well.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:32 PM

96 posts, read 314,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Your post is confusing, and the emotions you feel are the reality of a growing economy in a highly praised urban area.

Until the jobs dry up, the growth will continue. As long as the demand stays strong, the white hipster wannabe's and and all the support staff for them, combined with all the support staff for the state government needed to build and maintain the infrastructure needed by the hipster wannabe's and their support staff, will continue to move to Austin Metro. Unfortunately, the influx drives up the prices of housing, so the support staff and their support staff are all relegated to suburbia, creating sprawl, and a continuing cycle.

My only real challenge to your post is the idea that there is not a lot of diversity in the metro area here. Moving from upper Midwest region we see it quite differently. In our previous areas the ethnic groups lived together, with very little interwoven cultural experience in many areas. Here we have seen many ethnic heritages blended in suburban developments as well as in some of the more urban settings.

Good luck on your decision. If you end up in Georgetown, it is a very nice area.

Finally ONE person who is actually polite, nice and kind! Thank you for taking the time to reply in a thoughtful and helpful manner. People are defensive, no? Seriously, I truly appreciate the thoughtfulness you gave to your post, as well as the clarification of any misconceptions. Thank you.

I guess my post IS a bit confusing. Frankly, my husband and I wouldn't be able to live right in Austin, so the outskirts are fine. I'm just wondering what the city and the people are all about and what the city has been going through. There are many aspects about Austin that both my husband and I really loved.

Thanks again for taking the time to post!

Last edited by tonilee; 12-29-2014 at 06:10 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I find whenever I'm disappointed in a person, place, or thing, it's because I had expectations that weren't met. It sounds like your expectations were different than what you observed. Bummer. That's life.

Yes, Austin is different than 20 years ago, and will be even differenter 20 years from now. I like living here, as it is today, else I'd leave. With the "bad" changes come many "good" as well.

Austin Steve-THANK YOU very much for your reply! You know, you really summed things up nicely for me! I didn't have many expectations, other than knowing that Austin was booming and growing. I didn't know what to expect. Of course I knew the city had changed a lot. And that's not a BAD thing at all, despite what so many of the previous posters assumed I was saying (obviously due to their intense feelings about the "new" Austin and people who "bash" it).

I know Austin was a bit run down in parts, somewhat dangerous and struggling financially prior to its growth. Growth and change are good things when they bring jobs, infrastructure repair, better health care, new people, new ideas, vibrancy to a place, etc. Obviously for some places, growth is inevitable at times.

Wish Detroit could go through such a revitalization...sigh. I'm NOT a native Detroiter but what has happened to the city saddens me.

Thanks again for your kind and thoughtful post, Steve!

Old 12-29-2014, 05:44 PM

615 posts, read 780,614 times
A lot of jumping to conclusions here. I can't tell if OP is trolling or what. Comments in blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonilee View Post
Hi everyone! Folks have always been so helpful here, so I'm reaching out again. From time-to-time, my husband (just turned 60) and I 57) have traveled to different towns & places looking for a possible relocation from where we now live. I hadn't been to Austin in over 20 years and my husband had never visited. We just returned after a 10-day vacation and we both left feeling very dazed, confused and somewhat discouraged.

When I first drove in from the airport, I actually CRIED 'cause Austin was so unrecognizable to me. Without a nickel in this quarter, I have no hold on either side of the multiple debates. I've been reading up on Austin for months on City Data and other Internet sites and I'm more confused now after visiting

So, you drove in from the airport and cried because the city has more high-rises than it had two decades ago when you last visited? Drama, much? It's a city. It changes. Also, with people like you moving here, we need places for them to live.

I'm just a simple woman, so I'll try to keep my perceptions basic & clear without intending to intentionally offend or hurt anyone...so please be patient with me

There seems to be numerous, HUGE political, social, economic and other divides within and around the city, GLARINGLY obvious IMHO. I'd like to factor your opinions into my equation...hopefully my husband and I can decide if within the overall scheme of things, Austin or its environs might be a good relocation for us:

And there weren't "political, social, economic divides" when you were here 20 years ago? News to me. I guess everything looks better with 20 years distance and a pair of rose-tinted glasses.

1) There are obvious divisions among people who currently call Austin home pertaining to housing, downtown development and the overall quality of life and cost of living in Austin, the old versus the new. There seems to be long-time residents (lived there for 3-7 decades) who (like me) LOVED the "older Austin" that was a funky, quiet, sleepy little college town with cool people, little bars, local eats, etc. These folks seem to be losing a housing and economic war that is pushing them out of the "inner city" due to astronomical housing costs, gentrification, building & city revitalization partially created by the glut of "hip" new folks moving in from elsewhere...and old-time residents have no place to go

Austin is a young city and has been that way for a long time. Only 8% of the population here is 62 years of age or older.

2) Obviously, people are moving in droves from both coasts & Colorado (primarily from California, Seattle, Colorado and New York) and eventually complain that Austin isn't like Los Angeles, Seattle, Denver and New York City. I was SHOCKED at how many Starbucks are in Austin! Seems like wealthy, white (Caucasian) "green" or "hippie" types have moved into the bulk of the city proper (high rise condos and nicest Victorian homes) & the "hills." Now these newer residents want all that doing so entails (better mass transit, better high end chain or "box" stores...Aeropostale, GAP, The Limited, Trader Joe's...better roads, chic restaurants, better "foodie" grocery stores, better this, more of that, etc). Seems like South of I-35 around Congress (SoCo) and parts of the east side are under gentrification as well for hipsters & LGBT. Southwest side is already re-done and occupied by the aforementioned. Given this, "locals" as well as others who cannot afford greater Austin are now moving into the outlying areas (which is being criticized because doing so has created urban sprawl or suburbia and the ensuing congestion & craziness, etc);

Actually, no. The vast majority of people moving to Austin are coming here from other parts of Texas. Also, I've learned through my time on CD that "hip" and "hipsters" are just derogatory codewords for young people who are working and making a living in the city. Just because you're 60 and don't wear skinny jeans, doesn't mean these "hip" people are any different than you were in your 20's.

3) The large number of techies and other "young families" who are coming in for work, are also contributing to the urban sprawl by choosing subdivisions and suburban life over city center life (particularly in the Northeast sections like Georgetown, Round Rock, Pflugerville). Additionally, these folks are now blamed for the emergence of Walmart, Chili's, McDonald's, Dunkin' Donuts and Target.
There's exactly 1 Dunkin Donuts in Austin and it's been here for years and years... along with the other retailers you listed. What's your point? Does Austin not live up to your unrealistic utopian notions of decades past?

4) While the hipsters and the PC crowd like to call the city "International," the only international sense one gets is when the 55,000+ UT Austin students (and 27,000 faculty) are around. Or (like we saw the past 10 days) the FAMILIES of those students who couldn't make it home are in town for a visit (Middle Easterners, Asians, Indians, some Europeans) who were at our Hampton Inn & Suites on Lavaca. Otherwise, the city is primarily composed of wealthy white folks from either coast & Seattle, long-timers who are being squeezed out and white people with or without kids who moved to the outlying areas. Mexicans (35% or so) are squeezed into the southeast corner of the city and there are very very few blacks. Oh, saw a few Koreans, too. YES...I AM BEING A BIT SARCASTIC HERE. Point is, while some people might like to THINK Austin is a wonderful, PC & integrated INTERNATIONAL city, it clearly is not. Seems to be a WEALTHY WHITE CITY.

Wealthy? Have to actually ever been to a wealthy city? There is some concentrated wealth here, but noway does it compare to an actually wealthy city. Also, I have never heard a single person refer to Austin as "international." That is just silly.

NO JUDGMENTS, JUST OBSERVATIONS.

So many judgements, but whatever.

BTW...after a few days, the "new" Austin DID grow on me. I LOVED LOVED LOVED most of the people we met in our travels. Small, local eateries ARE still there & the food was great. People are kind & laid back. The dive bars were great, the WEATHER was phenomenal, small SELF-SUFFICIENT towns DO still exist (for now). Please note, my husband I will (likely) be limited to Georgetown due to our need for 55+ housing (which is fine with me).

So after all that, you liked it here? And you're planning a move to Georgetown, which is everything you just complained about... chains, big box stores, wealthy, lack of diversity (86% white), etc. Also, as someone else mentioned, Austin is not great for retirement.

PLEASE DON'T BE ANGRY wherever I am incorrect. Just inform me! Thanks for reading this and ALL comments welcome!!

Old 12-29-2014, 05:45 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,278 times
Quote:
Well don't bother enlightening me...just insult...it's okay. And thank you for your supportive post. We didn't spend much money. Y'all don't seem to need it! And I guess if I'm psychotic, I'd fit right in 'cause the entire place (Austin) seems a bit disconnected & disjointed...you do too, honey! Bye Bye!
Why bother enlightening you? What, to talk one more northerner to move here so they can bring their own little version of what they want Austin to give them here?

As for the "psychotic" piece, you said it - not I.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Nope, but every dime in taxes tourism collects is one less dime I have to fund - and every dime counts.

Seriously have no idea what you're looking for with this thread... "Just looking for advice" about what? Your eyesight? Thoughts? Presumptions? Weather?
No...don't need info about eyesight, weather, presumptions, etc. Trust me...the "thoughtful" posts from folks like you are speaking volumes about "some" of the folks who inhabit Austin. Not all people...but some! You've given me TONS of information about the tolerance and attitudes of the liberal folks there in Austin! And for that I say "thank you."

Your post has spoken volumes and been quite informative!!!

Old 12-29-2014, 05:54 PM

615 posts, read 780,614 times
Quote:
No...don't need info about eyesight, weather, presumptions, etc. Trust me...the "thoughtful" posts from folks like you are speaking volumes about "some" of the folks who inhabit Austin. Not all people...but some! You've given me TONS of information about the tolerance and attitudes of the liberal folks there in Austin! And for that I say "thank you."

Your post has spoken volumes and been quite informative!!!
I'd say your negativity says volumes more about you than it does about others who are just reacting to it.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:55 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,278 times
Well, bless your heart.

Glad I could be of assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin