Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 02:31 PM

15 posts, read 16,363 times

Advertisements

I can use any and all help you all can provide. Just starting the process of researching Austin and I'm currently feeling overwhelmed. Thanks!

1) What is your budget?

2) How large of a house do you need? what kind of views? what size lot? how old? updated? style? HOA?
I would like 1600 sqft, small lot. views don't matter as long as it's not a freeway.

3) What part of town is your job? 6th st. Austin

4) What kind of commute is acceptable? 30-40minutes

5) What kind of schools are you looking for?
(special needs, highest rating, nerdy, gifted, ethnic diversity, economic diversity, strength in particular sports, private, religious etc)

Public, good schools, don't have to be the best. I like diversity and a good arts program. Looking for middle and high schools.

6) What hobbies do you/kids have?
my kids play soccer and tennis.

7) What kind of entertainment are you looking for?
I don't want to be in the sticks. we like to be close to theaters and restaurants.

8)Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
I like close knit,artsy and family neighborhoods.

9) List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

1. family orientated, charming, and commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 02:58 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hills2beach View Post
I can use any and all help you all can provide. Just starting the process of researching Austin and I'm currently feeling overwhelmed. Thanks!

1) What is your budget?

2) How large of a house do you need? what kind of views? what size lot? how old? updated? style? HOA?
I would like 1600 sqft, small lot. views don't matter as long as it's not a freeway.

3) What part of town is your job? 6th st. Austin

4) What kind of commute is acceptable? 30-40minutes

5) What kind of schools are you looking for?
(special needs, highest rating, nerdy, gifted, ethnic diversity, economic diversity, strength in particular sports, private, religious etc)

Public, good schools, don't have to be the best. I like diversity and a good arts program. Looking for middle and high schools.

6) What hobbies do you/kids have?
my kids play soccer and tennis.

7) What kind of entertainment are you looking for?
I don't want to be in the sticks. we like to be close to theaters and restaurants.

8)Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
I like close knit,artsy and family neighborhoods.

9) List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

1. family orientated, charming, and commute.
You may want to ask a mod to move this into its own thread, might help get some more input.

Geographically, you're going to want to stay south, I'd start with the 78749 and 78745 zip codes - they're not going to be super "artsy", but they'll deliver on much of the rest of the list and probably give you the best balance between commute and everything on your list.

That said, I'd strongly recommend renting first for 6-12 months and getting a good feel for the areas first.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:29 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
With your price point and list of priorities, I believe these neighborhoods would fit:

Central - Crestview, North Shoal Creek, Ridgetop
East - Blackland, Cherrywood, Chestnut
South - Galindo, Southwood, Westgate

Please let us know what you decide!

Old 12-30-2014, 08:45 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
With your price point and list of priorities, I believe these neighborhoods would fit:

You can't get into Crestview, especially at that square footage, at that price point anymore. Pretty sure Cherrywood would also be out of the equation now.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:54 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post

Dude. OP's budget is $275K. Here's what you'd find in your suggestions:

Central - Nothing, Nada, Zip.
East - Nothing in Cherrywood, Blackland has one (barely) 1811 J J Seabrook Dr, Austin, TX 78721 | MLS# 1260363 | Listing Information | Austin real estate | Homes for Sale Austin | Austin Homes Zones to Garcia MS and Regan HS
Chestnut - Nope
South - No listings.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
id recommend south of the river, it is much more artsy, trendy and walkable. You can still get more for your $ down there.

that being said you are going to be south of 290/71 (dont know what they are called) or east of i35 (east riverside). Realistically you will also need to be south of stassney.

miles wise you will be close to 6th so you should have an under 30 minute commute. Without traffic it will be something like 10 minutes. You will also be very close to the trendy south congress/south lamar areas, zilker etc. There is also a central market at westgate, costco, whole foods, alamo drafthouse etc very close

Put your parameters into redfin.com and it will be clear what areas you can target.

North of the river you will be limited to east of I35, which is gentrifying very quickly.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:36 PM

615 posts, read 780,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Dude. OP's budget is $275K. Here's what you'd find in your suggestions:

Central - Nothing, Nada, Zip.
East - Nothing in Cherrywood, Blackland has one (barely) 1811 J J Seabrook Dr, Austin, TX 78721 | MLS# 1260363 | Listing Information | Austin real estate | Homes for Sale Austin | Austin Homes Zones to Garcia MS and Regan HS
Chestnut - Nope
South - No listings.
Yeah, those neighborhoods are going to be way out of the price range. You'd be looking at twice your budget for 1,600 SF. I agree with the poster who suggested looking in South Austin. There are still some nice and affordable family neighborhoods there.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:06 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Yeah, those neighborhoods are going to be way out of the price range. You'd be looking at twice your budget for 1,600 SF. I agree with the poster who suggested looking in South Austin. There are still some nice and affordable family neighborhoods there.
I'd agree in principle; but remember, not every listing in on the MLS, many often remain off the radar. It pays to look around by car and explore retail/owner signs in those neighborhoods. Bargains can still be had in these areas!

Old 12-31-2014, 06:14 AM

110 posts, read 241,597 times
Maybe keep 78729 on your radar. $275k is within your reach for 1600 (or bigger) sq ft homes, plus you'd have breathing room for upgrades. Middle school would probably be Deer Park and high school would probably be McNeil, both in Round Rock school district and both highly rated from what I understand.

It's about a 2-3 mile drive to the Howard train station which gets you downtown in 30 minutes.

It's not an "artsy" neighborhood, but pretty diverse and tight-knit. Suburban, but not as cookie-cutter as some of the newer developments. No HOA, if that's important.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:58 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
I'm confused. To everyone who is recommending South of the River, what Middle School and High School has a Good Arts program with 275K homes flowing into it? (& did they move 6th street south of the river?).

OP, thanks for providing good info in your OP. With the price point that you are looking at I would definitely recommend renting for 6 months to a year. There's no telling what might become available, but you need to be willing to sleuth around and you definitely need to search in several different directions.

Including north. With your criteria, I would try to rent in neighborhoods that flow into Anderson HS & McCallum HS. Both good to great schools, (& McCallum I believe has the best fine arts program in the city). There are LOTS of 1500 - 2000 ft garden home type places near Anderson (Steck & Mopac) that might fit a rental budget & the area is very nice, & also more family oriented than places south of the river (in your budget).

The only school (school feeder) south of the river that would fit your "good school" "good fine arts" criteria might be Bowie HS....but that area doesn't have much in the 275K range. Also, it's not as good & doesn't have the fine arts programs that Anderson & McCallum have. I would definitely look at rentals near the Steck/Far West/Spicewood intersections of Mopac.

OP, where on 6th street is the job? JWynne makes a good point on possibly taking the choo choo as your commute... but only if takes you to your work on 6th. But further out, you could hit all of your data points (except being next to the revelry downtown) at the McNeil or CP train stations.

But rent first... given your price point. Also, if you have any questions regarding junior tennis, feel free to ask specific questions. I have a 15 y/o who has played for 6 years; we have run the gauntlet & are pretty familiar with all things related to junior tennis in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin