Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 3,939 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to a DR horton community in round rock. The elementary school these homes are assigned to: Neysa Callison Elementary, which has very mixed reviews and low test scores. So we are thinking of transferring our children to Gattis school elementary. Any parents have children in either of these schools? What is your experience? My biggest dilemma of sending our children to a school were not zoned for will be transportation! Does any one know of transportation services for students in the round rock area!?! HELP~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 08:29 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,942 times
"Transportation Services" ?

RRISD offers bus service to the local ES, MS & HS feeder. If you want your kid to attend another school (assuming you're able to get that approved), then you would have to provide transportation.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:33 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
As hound said, you would be responsible to get your child to/from school. And there are no public transportation options. Also, transferring your child to a different school is not that easy. There's no guarantee you'll be able to do that anyway.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 3,939 times
I found a transportation service in round Rock it just isn't in the area where we will be living.. It's drops your children off right infront of your home.. I realize it may not be easy but with the research I've done...this school being a tier 1 school with some of the lowest test scores in the entire district its also rated very close to the bottom 10 as well... it's possible

Old 01-06-2015, 12:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by she.sells.sea.shells View Post
I found a transportation service in round Rock it just isn't in the area where we will be living.. It's drops your children off right infront of your home.. I realize it may not be easy but with the research I've done...this school being a tier 1 school with some of the lowest test scores in the entire district its also rated very close to the bottom 10 as well... it's possible
But you just can't show up and tell them you want your kid to go to that school.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:50 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
Quote:
Yes, it's possible, but not guaranteed or even probable. There are hundred a other families in the same situation as you who want to transfer their kids as well. There is simply not enough room at the better schools to take everyone, so it works on a lottery system.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
We are thinking of moving to a DR horton community in round rock. The elementary school these homes are assigned to: Neysa Callison Elementary, which has very mixed reviews and low test scores. So we are thinking of transferring our children to Gattis school elementary. Any parents have children in either of these schools? What is your experience? My biggest dilemma of sending our children to a school were not zoned for will be transportation! Does any one know of transportation services for students in the round rock area!?! HELP~
Well Gattis Elementary is not closed to transfers this school year but it's an annual process and if turned down then your kids will go to their home district school.

If schools are that important then maybe you need to do your home search based on the school boundary lines.

https://www.roundrockisd.org/parents...ent-transfers/

Old 01-06-2015, 02:40 PM

48 posts, read 77,464 times
Seem to be a lot of new homes being built next to really low-rated schools.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:25 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recklesscognition View Post
Seem to be a lot of new homes being built next to really low-rated schools.
Yep.

& the Homebuilders & (some) realtors will tell prospective buyers that the homes are located in "Highly rated" RRISD school district.....as if the kids actually go to the district offices to be educated.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:36 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
Sounds like you want your cake and eat it too. Better schools drive up demand which drives up home prices.

Cheap neighborhood and good schools, are generally mutually exclusive, or come with some other cost involved, like a long commute.

A transportation workaround with school xfer has hidden costs and hassle factors. Namely, your kid(s) won't be growing up in the same neighborhood as school mates, won't be in the same neighborhood groups outside activities as school mates. In short, they will attend a school outside the neighborhood/community where they live.

That can work in the higher grades, such as transferring into Westlake High, after friends and relationships are already established, but I think it's harder on younger kids who really need that sense of belonging a lot more.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: