Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 08:36 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times

Advertisements

I think you really need to come down here and check it out yourself. If you could do that in the middle of August, even better. The fact that you are even asking if the public transportation system is like NY or Chicago shows that you know nothing about what you are getting into.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:40 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Which side of Lake Travis does he live on?

1. Are you open to private schools or just public schools? The public schools have to adhere to the state curriculum to a certain extent so you might find more science/arts focus privately. However, I've found some of the schools in Cedar Park for example mix in a little bit of everything while still adhering to the state testing guidelines. After school science and math clubs are even options in some Elementary schools for example throughout the area.

2. There are a lot of neighborhoods that fit what you want all over Westlake, parts of the Lake Travis area, parts of Cedar park, and parts of Round Rock (as well as Austin). You'll really need to view each neighborhood individually in my opinion as sometimes they can be vastly different even though they are close to each other in the same city.

3. Labs and hospitals are all over, but if you end up getting a job in South Austin for example and live up in Cedar Park then the commute could be horrible (although that could be eased if you don't commute during rush hour).

Public transportation is very minimal and the Austin area (specifically the suburban areas that you are interested in) will require you to have two cars if you and your husband plan to work.

As Hoffdano mentioned, a price range for a rental or buying a home is needed. I would love to send my kids to the top schools in the area like the ones in Eanes ISD for example, but I just can't afford a $600K plus home. You can find everything that you're looking for in the $250K to $400K range pretty easily in Cedar Park for example. But remember that property taxes will still run around 2.6% although that somewhat evens out for a dual income household depending on whether you currently pay state income tax as you won't have any state income tax here in Texas.

And you might need to revisit your thoughts on the schools in my opinion. Check out GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community to get some additional input on the schools and of course take some of the outlying reviews lightly. The "best" rated public schools in the area here come with a hefty housing price tag, but you'll probably find that the ones that are the next tier or two down from the "best" in the ratings could be just as good if not better for your child.
Lot of good info in this post (& others).

OP, where are your family members living? Saying "near LT" isn't specific enough. (that could be CP, Lakeway, Lakecliff, Lago Vista....some of these are GREAT distances away from each other)

You REALLY need to know what general area your job will be....THEN pick the school and neighborhood. There are good to great schools SW, W, NW & N of the city. You do NOT want to be living NW & working S or SW (or vice versa). Since you'll be renting & because your kid is 4, you'll have options...don't pick a bad one.

The fact that public transportation is minimal... is another reason you'll want to live near where you work (if possible). OP, 1) Post where your family lives (be specific). 2) Post where you have possible jobs lined up & folks will give opinions on great school tracks nearby. 3) Post your rental budget.

Put the horse before the cart.

Last edited by hound 109; 01-06-2015 at 09:13 AM..

Old 01-06-2015, 08:41 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I think you really need to come down here and check it out yourself. If you could do that in the middle of August, even better. The fact that you are even asking if the public transportation system is like NY or Chicago shows that you know nothing about what you are getting into.
yep.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times
Quote:
I think you really need to come down here and check it out yourself. If you could do that in the middle of August, even better.
THIS. I wish I had done that.

Quote:
The fact that you are even asking if the public transportation system is like NY or Chicago shows that you know nothing about what you are getting into.
THIS.

I am a CT native. Also have spent a great deal of time CO and northern and southern CA, and MA, NJ GA and OH as well. Prepare yourself for big changes. All I can say, is you don't realize what you have 'til it's gone or rather what you are taking for granted currently. The adjustment from your part of the country to here is arguably the biggest and most difficult than from any other region to TX, (especially in the two areas above).

Also read the sticky thread; it's helpful.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:56 AM

99 posts, read 180,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Compared to CT, taxes are not high. Property taxes in CT are high, and CT has income taxes and high sales tax. The worst of all worlds. Homeowners in CT pay more per year in property taxes than Texans do.

No doubt our weather is vastly different. So trade the northeast winter for Texas heat.

The OP did not mention a budget for housing. If the Lake Travis area is appealing, the Lakepointe area is full of families with children. It has its own elementary school, and many kids walk to school. Lake Travis ISD schools are very good. The new middle school has incredible science facilities (my niece (8th grade) has told me about how amazing her engineering class and lab is). LTISD has strong art programs.

Public transportation is minimal in Austin. Bus service is apparently functional and useful though I have never used it. Metro Rail runs between Leander and downtown.
What contradiction? Taxes are high in Texas. CT has old money which is stubborn. CT does not stroke businesses like Texas does. CT has very high median incomes for such a small state. Texas is very low on that list. Texas hoards it tax dollars and gives "handouts" or its tax dollars to the businesses that support the current political regime. When Texas should be helping its citizens its giving handouts to businesses that are in the "circle". See the recent Texas HHSC headlines for a glimpse into how things work here.
Texas is economically and morally corrupt. And Texas is good at kicking the can down the road to make itself look good. Texas looks good in a snapshot. Long term Texas is very wasteful with tax dollars.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:03 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees View Post
What contradiction? Taxes are high in Texas.

No, they aren't. Taxes are low in Texas, both as a percentage and an absolute basis (with all the tradeoffs that come with that). I've linked to multiple studies showing that. I'm challenging you to find _anything_ that claims Texas is a high-tax state.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:27 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,451 times
Texas does not subsidize the poor to the extent that other states will. If you are a middle class resident of Texas, this is a positive because it promotes personal financial freedom. If that ideology doesn't work for you, there are 49 other states you can move to.

Last edited by sojourner77; 01-06-2015 at 09:37 AM..

Old 01-06-2015, 09:30 AM

99 posts, read 180,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
No, they aren't. Taxes are low in Texas, both as a percentage and an absolute basis (with all the tradeoffs that come with that). I've linked to multiple studies showing that. I'm challenging you to find _anything_ that claims Texas is a high-tax state.
Phone taxes are higher in Texas, sales taxes are higher in Texas and depending on where you live in CT property taxes are a wash. Those are some examples.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:37 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,718 times
Here are some key differences:

1.Texans are known as 'doers' we don't like complainers.
2. Far less union support here than in tri-state area.
3. There will be alot of trucks, SUVs instead of small cars, minivans.
4. Public transportation not does exist outside Austin (Travis County).
5. You will be dealing with many Texans instead of Connecticuter or New Yorkers.
8. Hispanic population will be old time Mexican (4 or 5 generations in Texas) instead of Puerto Rican or Dominican.
6. You will hear alot of "Y'all" instead of "Yous" or "You guys".

Old 01-06-2015, 09:54 AM

684 posts, read 812,295 times
Good luck , its a very hard adjustment as my wife and i moved from NJ and she was born and raised in CT herself. Texas is not for us, we plan on moving back up north despite the whole tax debate. Your going to have to pay somewhere regardless of what the situation is in any state.

I explored the Austin area, its growing, its not bad, you wont get much land for your money unless your out in the hills somewhere and thats where the big bucks come up with some high property taxes. Car insurance is a bit more down here, well at least mine is compared to CT. The transportation down here is laughable lol its not even a dot compared to the NE. I dont see anything special about Austin , just looks like a small growing town. Its an old town that is being built up or getting a face lift i should say.

The summers are pretty hot down here, i def miss the 4 seasons back home for sure. Your tree outside will be the same color year round down here. You will have water regulations as well, its not very green down here either. If your a nature person get ready for a big shock , i dont care what anyone says down here but the Texas " hill country " is just not comparable to true real mountains of the east coast.

I say make the move based off of your lifestyle, what you guys want exactly, and what will make you happy. My wife and i moved down to TX to escape the high cost of living in NJ but we soon realized what we had lost just to save a little bit of money. I rather pay the higher cost of living and be happy then not be happy.

The traffic is horrific , the road system sucks here , idiot drivers, and the food is okay down here, good luck finding good Italian food.

The bright side is , yes you can buy more for your money down here house wise depending where you buy, you save a few bucks with no income tax, and yes majority of the taxes are lowerer but there are many areas that are rising in taxes that are on par with CT. Schools in Austin are a mix , you have some good and bad. My father in law has a beautiful house in Morris, CT 4 bed 3 bath on 2 acres 3500 sqft. Thats going to be hard to find around here unless you are on the outskirts or pay a big price. Now if you want a mid size house, with close neighbors, and not much property then you will find a bunch of nice houses for sale.

I think you guys needs to come visit for a good 2 weeks first. Its def a night and day difference down here for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin