Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:56 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,959,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees View Post
Phone taxes are higher in Texas, sales taxes are higher in Texas and depending on where you live in CT property taxes are a wash. Those are some examples.
Phone taxes? Phone taxes!

You're telling the OP not to move to Texas because the phone taxes are 17% instead of 13%

Wireless tax, cell phone taxes and fees by state | MyWireless.org

So like $4 a /month. If that.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:16 AM

7,986 posts, read 10,324,308 times
Texas has lower takes than most other states.

What U.S. states have the highest and lowest taxes? - CBS News

Old 01-06-2015, 11:25 AM

13,715 posts, read 30,999,856 times
Quote:
What contradiction? Taxes are high in Texas. CT has old money which is stubborn. CT does not stroke businesses like Texas does. CT has very high median incomes for such a small state. Texas is very low on that list. Texas hoards it tax dollars and gives "handouts" or its tax dollars to the businesses that support the current political regime. When Texas should be helping its citizens its giving handouts to businesses that are in the "circle". See the recent Texas HHSC headlines for a glimpse into how things work here.
Texas is economically and morally corrupt. And Texas is good at kicking the can down the road to make itself look good. Texas looks good in a snapshot. Long term Texas is very wasteful with tax dollars.
I have lived here for over 30 years. Texas has been economically solid throughout with short hiccups related to energy (mid 1980s in particular). I'm confident I have a better idea how things work here than you do. I have raised a family here.

CT has high median incomes skewed by the old money you speak of. CT has high unemployment and the classic northeast political climate. The very different cost of living between the two is not reflected in national statistics. CT also suffers from high income inequality (3rd highest in the US).

You should stop reading the headlines. Texas has plenty of faults but fewer than most states. Texas believes it is healthy for all to have low unemployment. So it believes in business, small and large. I don't agree with all of the incentives Texas has offered to businesses - but Texas is hardly alone. CT has no immigration to deal with. It is a largely white state, much like Massachusetts.

As for Texas hoarding its tax dollars - you mean by having a rainy day fund? So the state doesn't have the financial stress other states face during lean economies?

Forbes article discussing why "rich" CT is performing so badly:

How Did Rich Connecticut Morph Into One Of America's Worst Performing Economies? - Forbes

Old 01-06-2015, 11:35 AM

13,715 posts, read 30,999,856 times
Quote:
Phone taxes are higher in Texas, sales taxes are higher in Texas and depending on where you live in CT property taxes are a wash. Those are some examples.
Phone taxes?

If you pick and choose where property taxes are compared - you can produce any result you want.

CT taxes vehicles don't they? In Hartford your Honda Civic will cost $800/yr in local property taxes.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:47 AM

684 posts, read 806,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Phone taxes?

If you pick and choose where property taxes are compared - you can produce any result you want.

CT taxes vehicles don't they? In Hartford your Honda Civic will cost $800/yr in local property taxes.
Yes they tax your vehicles depending on its value. It's a low percent but it's different in each county I believe. So Basically if you have a brand new expensive car , yes you will pay a lot then it will be cheaper and cheaper as the years go by . I'm shocked they do this considering all the other taxes you pay on top of property taxes and the highest gas tax.

I would recommend VA , TN , and NC to the op if they want a cheaper cost of living but still want that charm of the east coast.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:08 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,337,866 times
Funny how Austin is becoming the catcher's mitt for all the northeast people these days. There must be some memo circulating in the Tri State area that says moving to Austin, Texas is the solution to whatever ails you.

Years ago, I eagerly endorsed Austin to my fellow New Yorkers. Now, I don't say a word, as there's way too many of them and I'm not sure that's a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin