Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:52 PM

522 posts, read 654,124 times

Advertisements

Lone Star Regional Rail Project is on the horizon. Environmental Impact Statement work started last year, and public open house meetings are coming up this month (January 2015).

Check out the web site:
Lone Star Rail District
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 02:04 AM

99 posts, read 162,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I am all for Round Rock getting hosed because I think it has a silly name.

To proclaim people moochers because they live in a city without the tax is fairly silly. They still pay for a ticket. You wouldn't consider a tourist who used it a moochers even though their fares would also be the only monetary support they gave the system. Beyond that the train doesn't appear to be such a breakout success that it would do itself any favors by turning away riders or establishing second class fares.
The price of the ticket does cover the cost of the ride. It is heavily subsidised (as is all forms of transport, including roads for autos), so people in Austin are subsidizing the rides of Cedar Park residents on the Red Line. It's pretty sh!tty deal in fairness. They are worse than welfare moochers, and I'm tired of paying for their free ride.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:05 AM

320 posts, read 484,257 times
I've been looking into my step daughter taking the MetroRail from Lakeline for a new job around Parmer/US 1. She can get to Howard Ln Station, but then there doesn't seem to be a bus from there to get close to her job.

I've tried to figure out ways to use MetroRail for other purposes, but it never seems practical. Getting to the station is one thing, but if you can't easily get to your final destination via bus, what's the point?

Also tried to plan a trip to Festival of Lights by parking at Barton Creek Mall and taking the bus, but again, could not get any exact route/timing or info to make it happen.

Maybe it's just the CapMetro App that's not working for me. The whole system is not very user friendly and they wonder why people don't use it.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:29 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,021,625 times
The Festival of Lights was running shuttles from the Berger Center. I know they also put on their web site which buses would run close to the Festival of Lights on their web site too. I'm surprised you couldnt get good info on running times. I haven't used the Cap Metro app, just the trip planner on the website, always works well.

Capital Metro - Austin Public Transit

But overall, yes the Red Line is only well integrated with bus service deeper into the service area. Remember, all of Round Rock, Pfville, and most parts of Williamson County do not participate in Cap Metro.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:51 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,547,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamenottaken View Post
I've tried to figure out ways to use MetroRail for other purposes, but it never seems practical. Getting to the station is one thing, but if you can't easily get to your final destination via bus, what's the point?
And this is why I'm glad that Cedar Park hasn't opted in for Cap Metro services. You still need to own a car or you need to have bus service to get to the station. It wouldn't save me any time to get to work by the time I got off the train and got on a bus to actually get to work. And I'd also be out of the warmth or A/C of my car for the hour that it would take. It's just not a desirable option. I don't want to be waiting at a bus stop at 6:30am when it's 25 degrees outside or when it's 101 degrees in the afternoon. I'd rather be in my car for an hour streaming my own radio stations/music and then still have the flexibility to leave work at any time to pick up my kids in case of an emergency.

And again, in regards to the "moochers" that live outside the Cap Metro area, that issue could easily be solved by identifying the Cap Metro taxpayers with a free swipe card so they can receive a discounted fare. Everyone else that doesn't pay the tax can pay more. Problem solved. But, in reality, I don't think a lot of people in Cedar Park are riding the Metro Rail anyway due to the inconveniences detailed above. You're not saving time and it's inconvenient in multiple ways.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:53 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,040,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy the Plasterer View Post
The price of the ticket does cover the cost of the ride. It is heavily subsidised (as is all forms of transport, including roads for autos), so people in Austin are subsidizing the rides of Cedar Park residents on the Red Line. It's pretty sh!tty deal in fairness. They are worse than welfare moochers, and I'm tired of paying for their free ride.
they are only subsidizing from an accounting point of view.

The capital and operational expenses are already in place. All additional revenue is good.

The system was put in place *knowing* that they wouldnt pay tax-wise. So why all the hard feelings now? I call BS on that.

Roads being subsidized is a false liberal propaganda point. If fuel taxes are allowed to rise, roads are easily and sufficiently paid for. One reason why general fund subsidies for roads are ok is that the vast majority of people drive. Using general funds to "subsidize roads" is virtually pulling money from the same people that would pay it if we had direct pay for each road or allowed the gas tax to rise. The vast majority of people dont take trains so it isnt the same for trains at all.

For example (most) toll roads pay for themselves easily.

That said Im not against trains in principle, but generally only if they are more economically viable than solving the problem with roads.

If we went to pay per use on all roads, roads would easily pay for themselves in aggregate. The same cannot be said for virtually any rail system.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:46 AM

1,556 posts, read 2,383,523 times
Quote:
Riding a bus is not a desirable method of transportation for those in the suburbs
I don't know if it still exists but I used to take the Oak Hill Flyer bus to get to UT. It was very easy to park at the Y, get on and let someone else do the driving while I read the paper or prepared for work. There are scores of lower income workers and students who rely on the bus because they don't have a car and somehow they make it work.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:04 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,024,105 times
For those who are posting or commenting regarding rail expansion and use, I am very curious how far you will personally be willing to walk/bike to get to the train from home or work. How close does the station at either end of your commute need to be to make this a reality for you? I suspect that the majority of the population talks a good game about loving the idea of rail but will opt out pretty quickly when the distance and schedule comes out to be less than ideal and not particularly convenient.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:30 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,961,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Roads being subsidized is a false liberal propaganda point. If fuel taxes are allowed to rise, roads are easily and sufficiently paid for.
So in other words, never (haven't been raised in 20 years, and doesn't look like they ever will again).

It can't be false propaganda if it's 100% mathematically true.

AND and most that only covers the direct costs. Not including environmental cost. Not including the _huge_ social cost of 30k deaths per year (more deaths since the 50s than ALL US wars since the revolution). Not counting obesity and health care costs. Apparently not even including the highway patrol/DMV, since funding that is called a "diversion".

Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,961,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
they are only subsidizing from an accounting point of view.

The capital and operational expenses are already in place. All additional revenue is good.
For all my complaints about moochers, I do agree with you partially on this. A cedar park train rider is subsidized ~$15. An empty seat on the train is subsidized ~$18 (or whatever).

It breaks down a bit in crowding situations, where the Cedar Park moocher displaces an Austin resident, but hopefully that won't be a long-term problem.

Certainly my hierarchy of desires:

Cedar Park/RR/Pf contribute (best)
Cedar Park/RR/Pf ride (better than nothing, but I'll reserve the right to *****)
CP/RR/Pf drive (mooching off our roads, subsidized parking, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin