Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How far would you walk to a train at the beginning and end of your workday to commute via rail?
I would walk a mile or more morning and evening. 17 34.00%
I would walk half mile morning and evening. 22 44.00%
I will only walk a short distance, must be convenient. 10 20.00%
I don't walk further than the car in my driveway. 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:08 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,358 times

Advertisements

A mile total seems about right. After that I feel like I'd have to start waking up earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
I'm in for a mile at each end as I have done this in the past (even further really).

Of course this comes with some conditions as I was spoiled by Metro North.

- I need at least one train originating at my station so that I can arrive, finish my Lucky Strike, grab the paper, a cup of joe and easily find a seat.

- I need a few very early trains (non originating) for the 90 or so days when I opt to take the 6:30 am train so that I can beat the heat...as it were.

- I woud also like an enormous train terminal downtown for my arrival as it makes me feel all important. Think Grand Central Terminal meets El Tovar, that should work.

- Tokens, I liked tokens, we'll need to bring tokens back.

That would do it.
Tokens are awesome!

Old 01-09-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady
but, yes, short of life-threatening conditions, medical treatment to a minor can and has been withheld until the parent can arrive.

Plenty of things are short of life-threatening but still an emergency and need prompt treatment.

But you knew that, right?

For the record, I have used public transportation in London, Mississauga/Toronto, Boston, and D.C. While I understand the appeal, the problems that were raised regarding children were obvious to me then. Until we get that not all solutions are best for everyone, and that a solution that you, as someone with no responsibility for children, likes will not work for someone who does have that responsibility, and perhaps vice versa, as just ONE example, we're not going to get anywhere.
This certainly seems to be a bigger issue than public transportation. You should be able to instruct that proper medical care be administered to your child over the phone instead of the backward system we apparently have now.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:34 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
I don't know where these parents are coming from, but for my son at his school I signed paperwork authorizing emergency transportation to the ER in the case of an emergency. Insurance information is on file, so assuming the school nurse does her job, my son will be taken care of.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:21 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,503,534 times
There are a number of reasons why a child might require a parent to pick them up from school on an unexpected basis that do not require an ambulance or a trip to the ER. Those reasons have already been mentioned here, in fact. I don't know where these parents are coming from if they are in denial of this very basic rite of parenthood.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:53 PM
ITO

159 posts, read 373,806 times
When we lived in Japan we would walk 12 blocks to the train station. There was a bus that would take us there, but we only used it when it rained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin