Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:44 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Well supposedly limestone is ideal for tunneling! Guess we will find out.

The problem with above ground rail is that there is no room, buying the right-aways would be costly even if it could be done.
the tunneling costs of waller creek were around 100 million/mile. This is what got people interested in subways.

to compare, highways are about 11 million/mile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 08:23 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
the tunneling costs of waller creek were around 100 million/mile. This is what got people interested in subways.

to compare, highways are about 11 million/mile
That highway figure is nowhere near realistic for Austin. Real estate alone would push it into the tens of millions per mile, and then you're just shredding apart much of what makes Austin special. Besides, where would you put a new highway in Austin that could help Mopac, 360, 183, or 35?

Last edited by Westerner92; 01-18-2015 at 08:35 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 06:59 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
It's not cheap, but Austin chose in the mid-20th century, whether they realized it or not, density and vibrancy by being so anti-freeway.
Austin is way _less_ dense than Houston (I don't have figures for Dallas immediately on hand and I'm lazy, but I'm assuming the same).

Old 01-19-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Austin is way _less_ dense than Houston (I don't have figures for Dallas immediately on hand and I'm lazy, but I'm assuming the same).
Using city limits to compare densities is unreliable at best. If you've been to both, you know that much of Austin has developed like Inner West Houston, with similar traffic problems that can't be solved by more freeways. It's interesting to note that the dense "core" of Austin has an incredibly elongated shape, that, IMO, is ideal for a train line.

Austin has built so snugly to its major roadways (think Burnet, Lamar, South Congress) such that even widening roadways involves tearing down tons of local businesses.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Using city limits to compare densities is unreliable at best.
Who said I was? City limit density, metro density, urbanized area density. Austin is incredibly non-dense by all measures.

Quote:
If you've been to both, you know that much of Austin has developed like Inner West Houston, with similar traffic problems that can't be solved by more freeways. It's interesting to note that the dense "core" of Austin has an incredibly elongated shape, that, IMO, is ideal for a train line.

Austin has built so snugly to its major roadways (think Burnet, Lamar, South Congress) such that even widening roadways involves tearing down tons of local businesses.
That's just the problem, it's _too_ snug to the major roadways (and hence, non-ideal). You (may)have some amount of density on the roadway, but then a single parcel over it's SFH as far as the eye can see. That's not the sort of density you can easily or efficiently serve by transit.

What Austin needs is nodal density (nodes along a line). Fine, put a line on/above/below Burnet, but then you need to rezone at stations. VMU densities or more at a half mile radius from the station. It will never happen, because it would mean rezoning a quarter of the parcels in Allandale (etc.)

Old 01-19-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Who said I was? City limit density, metro density, urbanized area density. Austin is incredibly non-dense by all measures.

That's just the problem, it's _too_ snug to the major roadways (and hence, non-ideal). You (may)have some amount of density on the roadway, but then a single parcel over it's SFH as far as the eye can see. That's not the sort of density you can easily or efficiently serve by transit.

What Austin needs is nodal density (nodes along a line). Fine, put a line on/above/below Burnet, but then you need to rezone at stations. VMU densities or more at a half mile radius from the station. It will never happen, because it would mean rezoning a quarter of the parcels in Allandale (etc.)
I can definitely get behind that. I believe that between our dense corridors and projected growth, Austin has great potential to be a transit-oriented city. With Austin's growth, something will have to change.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:39 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
For a single 26.5' tunnel. By comparison, SF's new 1.6 mi Central Subway - for an existing line - costs $233M for the two 20' tunnels required. So more like $150M/mi, just for the tunneling costs, not including rolling stock, stations, electrical, etc. Which is why the total number touted for the first ten miles is ridiculous.

And just as ridiculous as the dystopian nightmare that expanding road capacity in Austin means "destroying" neighborhoods.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:42 AM

522 posts, read 657,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Better idea, tank the economy, close the doors. Stop letting all those pesky northerners and CA natives move here and ruin the town.
This is like curing cancer by letting the patient die. Yay! No more cancer...umm...

Old 01-20-2015, 07:43 AM

522 posts, read 657,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Commuter rail can work in Austin if it works in much smaller places:
Recently, I found myself broke-down on I-35 near Lake Lewisville going towards Denton, and the part I needed was in South Dallas. I was able to board the A-train (heavy-rail) at Highland Village Station, transfer to DART Greenline in Carrollton and make it to south Dallas within 1hr 20min. Distance 35 miles (same as San Marcos to Round Rock).
Its just surprising to see that Lewisville, TX (pop. 95K) has better rail and public transportation (DCTA) than Austin.
Being worked on right now - www.lonestarrail.com

Old 01-20-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
For a single 26.5' tunnel. By comparison, SF's new 1.6 mi Central Subway - for an existing line - costs $233M for the two 20' tunnels required. So more like $150M/mi, just for the tunneling costs, not including rolling stock, stations, electrical, etc. Which is why the total number touted for the first ten miles is ridiculous.
Good god, I'm actually agreeing with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
And just as ridiculous as the dystopian nightmare that expanding road capacity in Austin means "destroying" neighborhoods.
Destroy is perhaps overdone, but _significant_ adverse impact, definitely. Eminent domaining and demolishing hundreds of houses and businesses. How else do you add lanes to 2222 in town? To Burnet and Lamar? To Mopac (above what they're adding now, there aren't even any shoulders left!)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin