Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:48 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Arizona View Post
The first odd thing for me as we left the airport towards our new house was the sideways traffic lights. Why? ]
It is often necessary to haul large objects down the streets and roadways, such as when moving houses, HVAC equipment, chillers, etc. for large buildings, etc., etc. Hanging the traffic lights sideways all on its own increases the free clearance below the lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yes and the fact that people put architectural elements incorporating the Texas star is quite surprising to me. Examples include front doors with metal or glass etchings, keystones, large rocks in the yard, etc...
I don't understand why that is surprising. Growing up in Wyoming, the Buffalo is on the state flag and that image is also incorporated into all sorts of other decorative motifs, similar to the stars one sees in Texas.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:56 PM

One of the "weirdest" but much appreciated things I recall seeing after moving to Austin are the numerous "Drive Friendly" signs that can be found on most Texas roadways. I wish more people moving here practiced that...

Old 02-12-2015, 10:20 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
^ Agreed.

Things that were different to me when I moved here were horned toads, carpet grass (St. Augustine), and people running to the window when it rained. Horned toads are no longer around here, carpet grass is on the way out, and I'm right there with everyone, running to the window when it rains.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:15 AM

88 posts, read 88,793 times
when I said I am coming from out of town, lot of the folks used the same phrase "safe travels". It was an appropriate comment but I think that is Austin/Texas specific may be....

Old 02-13-2015, 08:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Here's a link to the Texas pledge of allegiance and also to those of the 16 other states that have them.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:37 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
Quote:
I've been here thirteen days, in the northwest part of Austin bordering Round Rock. The first odd thing for me as we left the airport towards our new house was the sideways traffic lights. Why?

The concept of distance is certainly different - the city I'm from is on a huge grid, where you don't have to get on a freeway if you really don't want to, which makes for nice alternate routes everywhere (granted, it's a level valley floor, not hilly like here). Everything here is at least 10-15 minutes away, and we're definitely in the city!

I also have to get used to every other street being some sort of highway. What does that buy, whether it's called FM-whatever instead of Old Settlers (it comes across as a criticism, but it's really a question)?
We've been here 3 years, I do believe the first thing we noted were the weird sideways traffic lights. Now we go to San Antonio once in awhile and they have "normal" vertical lights. No clue on this one

The numbered roads make me insane, I get tongue tied and confuse them all the time - no clue why my brain cannot process them the same as a named road but I struggle.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:47 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Quote:
The first odd thing for me as we left the airport towards our new house was the sideways traffic lights. Why?
Here is an explanation from the city of Carrollton why they started to do it.

"In 1978, the City of Carrollton began changing the appearance of our traffic signals from a vertical mounted signal head to a horizontal mount. By doing this we provided more clearance over the roadway and a more pleasing look to our traffic signals."

City of Carrollton, Texas : Traffic Signals

Old 02-13-2015, 11:59 AM

416 posts, read 588,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Here is an explanation from the city of Carrollton why they started to do it.

"In 1978, the City of Carrollton began changing the appearance of our traffic signals from a vertical mounted signal head to a horizontal mount. By doing this we provided more clearance over the roadway and a more pleasing look to our traffic signals."

City of Carrollton, Texas : Traffic Signals
While I get the aesthetics and clearance issue, I can't help but think someone - or multiple someones - had far too much time on their hands one day and said, "Oooh! I know! Let's blow everyone's mind..."

Old 02-13-2015, 01:07 PM

99 posts, read 146,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
The Texas pledge of allegiance to the flag was legislated in 1933, according to this link to the Texas State Library.
Interesting. But I certainly don't remember reciting it in school like they do now (at least at the elementary level). Maybe that's a decision of the school district (we are in Leander, but I went to AISD when I was a kid).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin