Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:46 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,978,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
I would disagree with that statement.
It's an objective _fact_. You can't disagree with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 08:02 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,449,996 times
Reasons for declining enrollment in an area where the population is clearly increasing might be i) decline in breeders living/staying there or ii) parents sending their kids elsewhere as a result of perceived/actual school quality. Note that the schools away from downtown are doing fine and not interested in transfers. This seems to be a city issue which the "urbanists" always ignore and yet the families have known for so long.

So is the school also offering bus service to the larger area?

Old 02-06-2015, 08:06 AM

129 posts, read 160,514 times
Quote:
The news article said that the magnets, STEM, Fine Arts, and other special programs are what's being offered to the transfer students. This could actually work out very well for AISD, because this is selective acceptance of students, and will cause "brain drain" for PISD, DVISD, and other districts to the benefit of AISD. If anything, AISD will become even more elitist than it already is, and AISD scores should rise as a result.

The problem with this, is that the Magnet program is already VERY competitive. My daughter is applying at Kealing Magnet right now and there are currently over 700 students trying to fill a little over 200 spots.

Similar limits in McCallum's Fine Arts program.

Last edited by austinnative69; 02-06-2015 at 08:19 AM..

Old 02-06-2015, 08:08 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
It's an objective _fact_. You can't disagree with it.
You obviously didn't take the time to read my rebuttal that includes data from AISD:

Quote:

Per Austinisd.org:

"it is somewhat surprising that between 2006 and 2010, the percentage of White births increased and the percentage of Hispanic births declined. Birth data specific to race/ethnicity for 2011 are not yet available From the Texas Department of Vital Statistics"

Now do you think that (as of 2014) the rising price of housing in Austin has reversed this trend? If anything the student body of AISD is about to become a lot more Anglo and very quickly. I have children in AISD, and I've started to notice this change first hand.

page 50 and page 53: https://www.austinisd.org/sites/default/files/dept/default/docs/AISD_Demographic_Study_Dec_14_2012.pdf

Old 02-06-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
You obviously didn't take the time to read my rebuttal that includes data from AISD:
You mean the stuff you added _after_ I replied to your statement?

When I replied, what's quoted in my response was all that was there.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:15 AM

^^This does not mean it's "becoming" anything.

These students have been in AISD since their parents bought (then affordable) houses 10-15 years ago, and these are "legacy" demographics that are working their way through the pipeline.

If you want to know what AISD is "becoming", then know where to look - births, and elementary school enrollment data.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
You mean the stuff you added _after_ I replied to your statement?

When I replied, what's quoted in my response was all that was there.
I added the data, because I knew you were going to ask for it.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I would disagree with that statement. The latest census data from 2000-2010 is cited below.

Per Austinisd.org:

"it is somewhat surprising that between 2006 and 2010, the percentage of White births increased and the percentage of Hispanic births declined. Birth data specific to race/ethnicity for 2011 are not yet available From the Texas Department of Vital Statistics"
While Hispanic birth percentage _still_ increased from 2000. The overall trend line is still a decline in white births and increase in hispanic birth percentage.

Quote:
Now do you think that (as of 2014) the rising price of housing in Austin has reversed this trend?
Actually, this is very possible. Since we may end up with mix (and this is a _very_ broad and gross oversimplification) of white DINKs (in small expensive houses) and Hispanic families (in apartments).

(again, an oversimplification)

Quote:
If anything the student body of AISD is about to become a lot more Anglo and very quickly. I have children in AISD, and I've started to notice this change first hand.

page 50 and page 53: https://www.austinisd.org/sites/defa...ec_14_2012.pdf
How is it going to become "A lot more Anglo" when Hispanic births outnumber white births (still, in 2010, from your own data) by 15%?

Old 02-06-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I added the data, because I knew you were going to ask for it.
Then why are you attempting to call me out for not reading it, when I'm finally getting a chance now?

And, your data doesn't show what you claim it shows. Your own data shows that Hispanic births outnumber white births by 15% (see post above).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin