Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:17 AM

31,288 posts, read 20,649,377 times

Advertisements

And maybe it would eventually come to Austin. High speed rail between Houston and Dallas and the nice part is it would be funded by private investment. This is a wonderful idea.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Options are narrowing for how a proposed high-speed rail link between Dallas and Houston will snake through urban parts of Harris County, with backers of the project stressing they are trying to avoid developed neighborhoods after neighbors voiced opposition to some parts of the line.

Texas Central High-Speed Railway on Tuesday announced its intent to build the line in a utility corridor previously identified as one of two possible routes last year when federal officials held public meetings along the route.

High speed rail firm examining I-10 route - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 11:33 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,815,474 times
Quote:
High speed rail between Houston and Dallas and the nice part is it would be funded by private investment. This is a wonderful idea.
I will believe this when I see it. I have never seen a rail system like this turn a profit. They aren't built to be profitable; they're built to solve problems. They're a reflection of the sentiment that 'less traffic on the roads is worth whatever money we pay for it,' which a lot of folks think is just fine, up to a point.

The trouble with avoiding developed neighborhoods is that your stops are not near where anybody lives. Less of an issue for a inter-regional line, but then this doesn't really solve local traffic problems; it creates opportunities for commercial activity and tourism between the two cities, but as it will be priced the same as flying, the only advantage is that you don't have to go to the airport (which is certainly a nice perk).

Old 02-19-2015, 11:54 AM

15,243 posts, read 35,474,152 times
This has been floating around for a couple years now, and it will be interesting to see if it happens. The fact that it is not government financed can go a long way in keeping costs down. The timing is interesting, as airlines have really slimmed down their offerings which creates a possible opening for a price-comparable alternative. I would definitely consider rail as an air alternative, if just to avoid the 20+ minute taxi at DFW and maybe quicker egress/access at the stations.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:03 PM

479 posts, read 525,900 times
What do people think of the LSTAR? I think it is a way better idea than the toy trolley but I do wonder how many will use it for its stated purpose of commuting.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:35 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,249,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
What do people think of the LSTAR?
There isn't a viable funding stream. Austin is already balking at the one proposed.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:48 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,365,544 times
What I want to see is a high-speed, mag-lev rail system, like what Japan has. If other countries can pull it off, why cant we? I cannot STAND flying. I would much rather take a high-speed rail that runs at 200+ miles an hour.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:12 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,966,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
There isn't a viable funding stream. Austin is already balking at the one proposed.
By balking, you mean passed the property tax set-asides?

Council OKs changes to Lone Star Rail agreement - Austin MonitorAustin Monitor

Old 02-19-2015, 02:37 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,649,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
but as it will be priced the same as flying, the only advantage is that you don't have to go to the airport (which is certainly a nice perk).
And you also avoid dealing with DHS.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:57 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,249,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
By balking, you mean passed the property tax set-asides?

Council OKs changes to Lone Star Rail agreement - Austin Monitor
The Austin Monitor - bought and paid for by the Austin Board of Realtors, downtown developer Perry Lorenz, development attorneys Armbrust & Brown, and an slew of the usual suspects - left out a big "if":

Quote:
Austin's support is not a sure thing. Before the rail system can break ground, they need the support of both Hays and Travis Counties as well as small cities within their limits. San Marcos, Kyle, Buda and Georgetown are among the communities that will need to sign on. This will be Lone Star Rail's goal for 2015.

Austin council's support is also incumbent upon a legislative decision to tweak a state law, as well as Union Pacific agreeing to move some of its cargo rail cars off existing tracks.

If all of those stipulations are not met by 2017, the council can decide not to move forward with the agreement.
I have no idea why the Monitor would do such a thing.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:44 PM

684 posts, read 808,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
What I want to see is a high-speed, mag-lev rail system, like what Japan has. If other countries can pull it off, why cant we? I cannot STAND flying. I would much rather take a high-speed rail that runs at 200+ miles an hour.
I agree, when i was out in Denmark and Sweden their transportation was very nice. Took trains all over and go to see the beauty.

I wish the USA would start doing some VERY high speed cross country rail systems. I think we as a country will get there, maybe not now but in about 20-50 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin