Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 09:18 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,620,842 times

Advertisements

I would also take a day trip down to San Antonio maby visit Fredericksburg both within an hours drive.

Visit San Antonio, Texas | Explore San Antonio things to Do, Attractions, Events, River Walk & More

Fredericksburg TX | Texas Hill Country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 09:20 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country-n-Sunshine View Post
Oh my, I certainly didn't mean any disrespect. You have to understand where I live so in comparison, I am imagining that some areas of where I will be visiting will offer a much different feel than what is here in MA. By saying the word country, I didn't mean to offend so please accept my apology-no stereotyping meant. Believe me, as a MA resident, I face my own stereotyping - that I must be rude, and I'm automatically hated with respect to the professional sports world. So, I try my hardest to dispel that we're not all the same and I totally get where you are coming from.

Anyway, I admit, I have only seen the beaches from watching shows of the different Gulf communities. Again, I compare that to the beaches we have here so it's all relative I guess. I realize Austin is several hours away-I was speaking more in general terms of other towns closer to the coast.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about the beaches that you aren't fond of?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
Warm, cloudy bathwater-temperature water. Hazy, hot, seawater-clear air. Cars and trucks driving on the beaches. Jellyfish and tarballs. The Texas beaches are where the offshore drilling ends and the onshore drilling begins.
Pretty much. The water is hazy and as warm as someone else's leftover bathwater. The Texas beaches get the gulf loop current out of Mexico, making for a questionable brew floating below the surface along with the byproducts of the drilling industry. Crummy waves. People driving all over the beach and not picking up after themselves. And frankly, it smells weird.

Quote:
I've visited southern California a handful of times and was surprised at the coolness of the water. Granted it was much better than we get in MA/RI but IMO, there's nothing like the water off the Gulf. I've visited along the Emerald Coast and the Clearwater down to Anna Maria Island, FL area but have not visited Alabama to Texas so that is on my list.
Texas beaches are nothing like Florida and Alabama beaches. Those are places we go to vacation on the beach.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:02 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,066 times
Granted A-Tex, Texas beaches are not like Florida's, but are better than others, take Louisiana for example. Also I have been to Corpus Christi & Mustang Island and it's nothing like you posted in which you think are disgusting. Guess each to their own.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:18 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,066 times
Country-n-Sunshine even if you do not make it to beach, you still have the hill country which is worth seeing. Also depending on your stay I would recommend San Antonio for a visit. Tour the Riverwalk, The Alamo, The Missions, and if your not afraid of heights the Tower of the Americas is worth a see, which will give you 360 spectacular view of the city.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:40 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,116 times
Unfortunately you won't be in season for a UT football game. We are not really football fans in general and not UT fans at all but found the atmosphere at the few games I've been to really great and since college football is a fixture of Texas culture, it's well worth going even if you aren't a fan. it's a strong part of the culture.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:56 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,274,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Unfortunately you won't be in season for a UT football game.
Fortunately, you might be here on April 18th for UT's Spring Game at 1 at Texas Memorial Stadium. Not the same as when 100,000 pack the place in the fall, but close. Free admission.

If you want a barbecue tasting, come back in the fall for the Texas Monthly Barbecue Festival.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:37 AM

72 posts, read 135,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
I would also take a day trip down to San Antonio maby visit Fredericksburg both within an hours drive.

Visit San Antonio, Texas | Explore San Antonio things to Do, Attractions, Events, River Walk & More

Fredericksburg TX | Texas Hill Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Country-n-Sunshine even if you do not make it to beach, you still have the hill country which is worth seeing. Also depending on your stay I would recommend San Antonio for a visit. Tour the Riverwalk, The Alamo, The Missions, and if your not afraid of heights the Tower of the Americas is worth a see, which will give you 360 spectacular view of the city.
Ah yes! My friend said her son plans on taking us to San Antonio for the day, sounds like it's going to be a great day trip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Texas beaches are nothing like Florida and Alabama beaches. Those are places we go to vacation on the beach.
I think you said you're native to Texas which is why it's probably easier for me to look at your beaches and think 'beautiful'. I know a lot of folks who live in and love New England think our coastline is beautiful and Maine does have its spectacular views but other than that...*meh*. Rhode Island has the best beaches IMO but they are still cold even in the warmest of weather, if you're up to your knees you can't even see your knees the water is so murky, and the beachcombing (which is something I love) is sparse with what you can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Unfortunately you won't be in season for a UT football game. We are not really football fans in general and not UT fans at all but found the atmosphere at the few games I've been to really great and since college football is a fixture of Texas culture, it's well worth going even if you aren't a fan. it's a strong part of the culture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Fortunately, you might be here on April 18th for UT's Spring Game at 1 at Texas Memorial Stadium. Not the same as when 100,000 pack the place in the fall, but close. Free admission.

If you want a barbecue tasting, come back in the fall for the Texas Monthly Barbecue Festival.
Bummer, a college football game would be a blast. I love checking out sports teams from other areas but we will be leaving on the 10th so it doesn't sound like we'll be able to see a game.

That Barbecue Festival sounds like it's worth a visit back. I already have a vacation planned in the fall so I think I'll put that on my list of possibilities for next fall!

Thanks everyone

Old 03-01-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I think you said you're native to Texas which is why it's probably easier for me to look at your beaches and think 'beautiful'. I know a lot of folks who live in and love New England think our coastline is beautiful and Maine does have its spectacular views but other than that...*meh*. Rhode Island has the best beaches IMO but they are still cold even in the warmest of weather, if you're up to your knees you can't even see your knees the water is so murky, and the beachcombing (which is something I love) is sparse with what you can find.
Right. Because Texas natives don't ever travel nor live in other parts of the country during their lives. In fact, I spent quite a bit of my educational process in your neck of the woods and am very much familiar with the beaches there. Texas beaches are not any better than what you have there.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Granted A-Tex, Texas beaches are not like Florida's, but are better than others, take Louisiana for example. Also I have been to Corpus Christi & Mustang Island and it's nothing like you posted in which you think are disgusting. Guess each to their own.
No one was comparing them to Louisiana beaches, although the OP seemed to think they would be along the lines of the Alabama and Florida gulf coast beaches --- which they are absolutely not. I have been to all the Texas beaches many many many times through over five decades, which is what I base my opinion on. I guess you don't have a lot of experience visiting beaches throughout the world to compare and contrast with.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:17 PM

72 posts, read 135,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Right. Because Texas natives don't ever travel nor live in other parts of the country during their lives. In fact, I spent quite a bit of my educational process in your neck of the woods and am very much familiar with the beaches there. Texas beaches are not any better than what you have there.
For some reason, whatever I say seems to be offending you. I offered my apologies because I came here to get information not insult anyone and I mean that in the most sincerest way possible. Had you said you were familiar with the beaches where I live, I would've known you had that as a reference for comparison. But just because I assumed you hadn't, doesn't mean I'm knocking Texas natives. Big difference there. Sheesh. In all honesty, I welcome your opinion as much as anyone else here but please don't automatically assume I'm here to insult, ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin