Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 11:42 AM

944 posts, read 3,954,291 times

Advertisements

I posted in a couple other threads that I was moving to California. Well, I "moved" and lasted about a week in Sebastopol (the town where I was planning to live.) Realized that I never should have left Austin. Spent a couple weeks in So Cal, now I'm in Phoenix with friends, heading back to Austin later this week.

Can't wait to get out of this desert and see some GREEN and some CLOUDS for a change. I can't stand the intensity of the desert sun, even in November. <--- (sunglasses cuz it's too bright out, not because I'm trying to look cool )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 11:44 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,021 times
Wow, I hadn't read your posts that you were going back to Cali!

Get the heck out of Phoenix and head home! Although I'm not sure you'll see many clouds this week; it's to be in the mid80s for the next few days!

Old 11-06-2006, 10:14 PM

979 posts, read 2,954,904 times
Sebastopol is a pretty cool area, what didn't you like about it?

Old 11-07-2006, 08:00 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,798 times
Yes, please tell about Sebastopol . We are looking at moving to Bodega Bay and will be doing all of our shopping in Sebastopol. Thanks!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:37 PM

Default Austin or Sebastopol?

Ha ha!!! Now this will be a thread about Sebastopol --- perhaps it will have to be moved to the California forum? I love Sebastopol. What's not to like? I lived in Sonoma County for 12 years before moving to Austin.

Here's the deal --- when I left Sonoma County in 1990 I was excited about getting to Austin and I never looked back. When I tried to move back recently, it didn't work. The whole time as I was driving away from Austin all I could think was "This is STUPID, I LOVE AUSTIN!!!" So I got to Sebastopol and was simply unhappy, it didn't feel like home any more, and I felt like I was running away from business and other issues that I need to deal with in Austin.

So, there's nothing wrong with Sebastopol. EXCEPT: dreary winters, very high prices, limited cultural activities (unless you don't mind seeing the same people everywhere you go), and a lack of places to hike and swim. Oddly, you'd expect western Sonoma County to have a lot more places for hiking and other outdoor activities, but Austin blows it away. You can white-water raft inside Austin's city limits under some conditions (Barton Creek after a lot of rain), there are endless trails, most parks are free, most swimming pools are free, and the weather is fantastic at least 8 months out of the year.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
We are looking at moving to Bodega Bay and will be doing all of our shopping in Sebastopol. Thanks!
I assume you know that the word "warm" doesn't exist in the vocabulary of the northern CA coast. Bodega Bay is beautiful and never seems to vary from a temperature range of about 40 to 68. Some people call that "paradise" and hopefully you're one of them.

Sebastopol shopping is quite sophisticated for a town of only 15,000 (or so). For example, they have a Whole Foods, 2 sushi places (at least), and lots of other amenities you wouldn't expect in a small town. But I bet some of that's available in Bodega Bay by now, I haven't been there in 20 years so I wouldn't know.

If you need major stores like you'd find in malls and "big box" retail centers, you'll have to go the extra 15 miles to Santa Rosa. On South SR Ave. you'll find Trader Joe's, Costco, and just about anything else you'd need. Downtown SR is nice, too, it has a bit of urban feel with a high concentration of good restaurants, coffeehouses, etc.

Good luck with your move! And get ready for fog and wind most of the time...

Old 11-10-2006, 12:34 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
I assume you know that the word "warm" doesn't exist in the vocabulary of the northern CA coast. Bodega Bay is beautiful and never seems to vary from a temperature range of about 40 to 68. Some people call that "paradise" and hopefully you're one of them.

Sebastopol shopping is quite sophisticated for a town of only 15,000 (or so). For example, they have a Whole Foods, 2 sushi places (at least), and lots of other amenities you wouldn't expect in a small town. But I bet some of that's available in Bodega Bay by now, I haven't been there in 20 years so I wouldn't know.

If you need major stores like you'd find in malls and "big box" retail centers, you'll have to go the extra 15 miles to Santa Rosa. On South SR Ave. you'll find Trader Joe's, Costco, and just about anything else you'd need. Downtown SR is nice, too, it has a bit of urban feel with a high concentration of good restaurants, coffeehouses, etc.

Good luck with your move! And get ready for fog and wind most of the time...
See, that sounds like the perfect climate for me. I've actually researched moving to Santa Rosa a few years ago. Sonoma County looks absolutely gorgeous... even more than the Hill Country. All those green hills

Old 11-10-2006, 07:22 PM

9 posts, read 39,419 times
Have lots of relatives and friends that live in Napa and the bay area and they've been trying to convince my husband and I to move up there for years now. We've vacationed in both places many times and we chose Austin! There's just something about this place. It's still laid back, the people are nice, and there's just so much to do! And having moved from the Woodlands, the traffic and summer heat doesn't bother us so much =] The San Francisco area and the wine country are really pretty though. But so is Colorado. So many beautiful places! Still, Austin feels just right

Old 11-10-2006, 08:04 PM

sydtow, your story is similar to mine. Except I never made a stop in Houston --- love the green, love the cosmopolitan areas like the Montrose/Rice districts, can't stand the humidity or the sprawl. And sadly the sprawl is happening to Austin at a pace that is probably going to make me want to leave eventually, but I'll enjoy it while I can still deal with the pace of city life.

Who am I kidding??? On my recent trip to Cali, I was most enchanted with South Pasadena and Silver Lake, districts in Los Angeles! Nobody ever accused me of being consistent or sensible.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:01 PM

9 posts, read 39,419 times
deeptrance: Funny you should say that! My husband and I feel the same way about Austin right now. We love it a lot but have recently started to entertain the idea of moving elsewhere once it gets too congested here like Houston. We've thought of a few places like Colorado, Northern California... I recently ran into an old friend from Houston who has now moved to Portland and she loves it! Basically, we just want to live somewhere with elevation changes and friendly, laid back folks. Napa is very tempting because we already have friends and family that live in that area, and my husband works in IT and I work in hospitality. Anyway, Austin seems to be changing rapidly. When we used to vacation in Lake Travis a couple of years ago, there weren't as much shopping centers, etc. off of 620! Now they are everywhere! So much construction going on here in the Northwest side of town especially. Oh well. We're gonna hang in here and enjoy for as long as we can =]

p.s. We stayed with some friends in LA a couple of years ago for two weeks, and we seriously contemplated moving there as well. Simply beautiful. Especially Catalina. If we only had the money hehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin