Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 01:37 PM

5 posts, read 2,410 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Austin, because my boyfriend will be starting a PhD program at UT. We’ve been offered a reasonable house rental in Cherrywood. My goal is to find a job in central Austin and bike to work for most of the year, if possible (not sure about the summer heat). I’ve opened Google maps and street view to look at the commute out of the neighborhood. There only seems to be a small stretch on Manor Rd. just before I35 where a cyclist would need to share lanes with the cars. My question is about the specific safety of this road as well as how cyclists and drivers interact in Austin compared to other cities.

Some background: I lived in Seattle for 22 years and commuted by bike to downtown. Drivers, with a few exceptions, were usually respectful of cyclists. The last 8 years I have lived in Bogota, Colombia, which has a surprising number of bike lanes, but biking outside of those can feel extremely treacherous.

I don’t mean for this post to start a war on cyclists; I just want the facts. I’m very respectful and defensive on the road.

Any insight you can provide is much appreciated. Looking forward to my new life in Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 04:08 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,134,243 times
it is bad here. Cyclists regularly get hit and the driver runs. People absolutely do not like cyclists. Since you are at cherrywood and right by UT, it probably wont be nearly as bad since so many students ride their bikes. Plus you can ride on neighborhood streets rather than collectors.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:31 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
I don't agree with that. Hit and runs can happen anywhere. That's not something that's unique to Austin.

From what I have seen, Austin drivers are quite courteous to bicyclists, or at least they make a conscious effort to yield to them. I've rode my bicycle all over South and Central Austin thru out the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's and the 1st 8 years of the 2000's and never had issues with somebody being hostile to me because I was riding a bicycle on a city street. Mighta had a horn honked me a few times, but, nothing more serious than that. I never had anybody cuss at me or throw something at me or tried to run me off the road.

Back before we had all these bicycle lanes, like we do now, I have seen bicyclists be more inconsiderate to motorists than the other way around. Many times I have been behind bicyclists who take up enough of the lane that you can't safely pass them. I find that to be very selfish and inconsiderate to the motorists.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
I don't agree that Austin is aggressive to bikers either. There are many generous bike lanes, and I don't see anyone purposely aggressing against them, ever.

In the summer, though, it's too hot to bike if you need to be presentable when you arrive at your destination.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:11 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
I had a co-worker that lived in Highland and biked everywhere in Austin. I believe she still does. She did tell me a handful of stories but it wasn't regularly. As a former triathlete who did lots of road biking in San Antonio, I am not brave enough to even think about cycling many of the places she would venture off to. With that said, I may be a wuss, but it's not that bad from what I've heard/seen. I will second Ivory Lee Spurlock, you're in a good close area for biking. There are bike lanes headed east on Cherrywood but not so sure about the area headed west toward campus.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:48 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I don't agree with that. Hit and runs can happen anywhere. That's not something that's unique to Austin.

From what I have seen, Austin drivers are quite courteous to bicyclists, or at least they make a conscious effort to yield to them. I've rode my bicycle all over South and Central Austin thru out the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's and the 1st 8 years of the 2000's and never had issues with somebody being hostile to me because I was riding a bicycle on a city street. Mighta had a horn honked me a few times, but, nothing more serious than that. I never had anybody cuss at me or throw something at me or tried to run me off the road.

Back before we had all these bicycle lanes, like we do now, I have seen bicyclists be more inconsiderate to motorists than the other way around. Many times I have been behind bicyclists who take up enough of the lane that you can't safely pass them.

Passing a cyclist without changing lanes usually means the cyclist is squeezed. If you allow the legally mandated 3 feet of clearance you are going to have to get into another lane in most cases even if the cyclists is hugging the curb. That is why "taking the lane" is often taught as self-preservation for the cyclist. I am cyclist and drive Austin streets also. I have lost less than 1/2 hour of my life in the last 20 years by waiting to pass cyclists when I could give plenty of room and change lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I find that to be very selfish and inconsiderate to the motorists.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:08 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,109,315 times
Bike Austin is a good resource that you might want to check out.

https://bikeaustin.org/

Old 02-25-2018, 06:46 PM

997 posts, read 1,313,136 times
I think the relationship is fairly contentious here, to say the least. No way I'd be biking on the streets outside Cheerywood although many do.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:39 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,395 times
Welcome to the Thunderdome.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:03 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
If you are not already aware of it, look at your commute path in Googlemaps, and click on the Menu (3 bars in the upper right of map) it will show you all of the hike and bike trails in the area. There is usually not much automobile traffic on the Manor Road to Clyde Littlefield Dr. route. It is described on google maps as a bicycle-friendly road.

Bicycles are also allowed to ride on the sidewalks in all but a few streets in the CBD. See this map https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/de...ing%5B2%5D.pdf

Many bicyclists will tell you that it is safer to ride in the street, rather than on sidewalks. I disagree, especially on congested streets, but ultimately you need to be the one deciding what route is safest for you. There are nice wide sidewalks along Manor Road and crossing IH-35 that you might want to consider. Just be especially careful to watch out for cars at driveways and crosswalks.

It does get awfully hot here in summer, even for bicycling. You might want to look into getting an electric bike if you can afford one.

The bus system in Austin has much to be desired, but it can still be workable if you plan your route carefully. https://www.capmetro.org/plan/

UTAustin also has a shuttle bus system, free for students and faculties use that your boyfriend will be able to use. https://parking.utexas.edu/transportation/shuttles

I hope you enjoy your time in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin