Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 12:26 PM

176 posts, read 261,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I've never been to Texas but will be in Austin this weekend from the 6th to the 8th. Looks like the weather is bad

How should I pack? I checked the weather, it says there will be rain and lots of humidity. So is it very cold rainy weather, or kind of warm rainy weather?

I would like to pack lightly. Should I bring a light jacket or a heavier jacket? I'm just not sure how to interpret this weather.
Best to bring attire for a wide range of weather. Weather forecasts here are extremely unreliable, and it's not uncommon to have 40 to 50 degree temperature variances in a one week period.

Last edited by Return2Paradise; 03-06-2015 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 01:00 PM

3,289 posts, read 3,764,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2Paradise View Post
Best to bring attire for a wide range of weather. Weather forecasts here are extremely unreliable, and it's not uncommon to have 40 to 50 degree temperature variances in a one week period.
Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:41 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,184,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
2 bad weather days are built into the calendar.
Check your school calendar regarding that.

Instead of a day off the kids will attend school.
No, RRISD just sent a message indicating they would be ADDING an additional instructional day after what was to be the last day of school for this school year. The last day was 6/4, now, because of canceling school yesterday, it's 6/5.

All for a perfectly fine weather day.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,125,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
No, RRISD just sent a message indicating they would be ADDING an additional instructional day after what was to be the last day of school for this school year. The last day was 6/4, now, because of canceling school yesterday, it's 6/5.

All for a perfectly fine weather day.
RRISD does have 2 bad weather days built into their calendar though.

https://roundrockisd.org/about-rrisd/calendars/

Each calendar contains 175 instructional days, 12 staff development/prep days, two bad weather days and the first day of school,which by state law, can’t begin before the fourth Monday in August.

edit: That is your bad weather day.

From the RRISD site:
The bad weather makeup day was changed to June 5 during a December Board of Trustees meeting.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:03 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,184,159 times
It's still adding it to the end of the year, after the instructional year created, it's not built into the middle of the calendar.

It exists now only because school was canceled on a day without inclement weather. They screwed it up big time last year by calling it too late, minutes before school started, and they screwed it up big time this year by calling it 14 hours in advance.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:20 PM

109 posts, read 291,202 times
Just moved from NH. Got a good laugh and a day off for a nice sunny day! Kids were happy.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:52 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,827,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I've never been to Texas but will be in Austin this weekend from the 6th to the 8th. Looks like the weather is bad

How should I pack? I checked the weather, it says there will be rain and lots of humidity. So is it very cold rainy weather, or kind of warm rainy weather?

I would like to pack lightly. Should I bring a light jacket or a heavier jacket? I'm just not sure how to interpret this weather.
Bring several light layers so you can add or shed them as needed (t-shirt, long sleeved shirt, sweater or light jacket, rain shell). Daytime temperatures in the 50's don't look to bad, but high chance of rain so bring a light weight waterproof layer or jacket.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:51 PM

3,289 posts, read 3,764,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Bring several light layers so you can add or shed them as needed (t-shirt, long sleeved shirt, sweater or light jacket, rain shell). Daytime temperatures in the 50's don't look to bad, but high chance of rain so bring a light weight waterproof layer or jacket.
Thanks, I did just that. I am here and it does feel pretty chilly! Someone else told me the weather changes quickly and can be unpredictable.

Good to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin